IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

This was an interesting discovery. These mark the first XBone and Switch items I've seen at a thrift store. It's just too bad the FIFA 16 case is actually empty and the Skylanders case actually has a Minecraft disc inside.

Man, the next time that kid goes to play Minecraft, he's not gonna be happy...

Not a thrift find, but a recycle center find, which is even better, because free! and sad, because that mean that they still end up destroyed like cheap chinese alarm clocks :/

gallery_35492_963_5142028.png

SEGA C'EST PLUS FORT QUE TOI (it's a play which I can't translate in English, as the sentance can mean "Sega, it's stronger than you" and "Sega, you can't resist it")

Some people debate or doubt of the existence of this model...

gallery_35492_963_1131628.png

Now you can say, you've seen it, and it's real :

gallery_35492_963_589629.png

The "RGB adapter"

gallery_35492_963_1527350.png

Apparently, back in the 80's, standardization on SCART was a bit loose. So Sega made this device, that send "ajusted" signals for French TV.

Only them bothered to do that, and ironically enough, today,those can cause trouble on modern TV as they cannot correctl read the "corrected" signal.

And does it works?

gallery_35492_963_231392.png

Of course!
  • Like 7

I was about to crack a joke about the Master System II being useless and not worthy of being rescued (I would have been kidding... mostly), but I see the European model kept the A/V port. That's interesting, because the American model ditched the A/V port and kept the RF port instead, making it a significant step down from the original model.

Either way, good find, and kudos for saving it from certain death!

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I got a really early (1979 or 1980) Mag-Lite 3-D flashlight for $3 at goodwill,

The only things wrong with it being that the O-Ring where the head screws on is gone

and the bulb in it was an old halogen with an odd yellow-ish light.

I went to Jerry's home improvement , and there they apparently had replacement bulbs for $1.25 apiece, so I took about a quarter of their stock, an got a replacement O-ring.

Oddly, the new O-Ring doesn't fit, so I will have to go back to get the right one sometime soon.

Edited by TheTIGuy

I was about to crack a joke about the Master System II being useless and not worthy of being rescued (I would have been kidding... mostly), but I see the European model kept the A/V port. That's interesting, because the American model ditched the A/V port and kept the RF port instead, making it a significant step down from the original model.

Either way, good find, and kudos for saving it from certain death!

I think, only France got the SMSII with RGB port, I think PAL units are RF only too.

And yes, there is a difference, as htere is no SECAM version.

The SMS I and II only contain a digital to RGB chip. If you plug a French (RGB) Master System I and II (and a French Megadrive I since they use the same video output than the SMS) on a SCART input without RGB support, you'll get a black screen. No PAL, no SECAM. Not even a black and white video signal.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Went to a kind of communal garage sale thing today. Got all pictured for $7.

The Ms Pac Man plug n play was $2. I already have one, but this one is in better shape. It's not the greatest, joystick seems kind of unresponsive... Ms Pac Man on the 2600 using my Sega Arcade stick is easier to play. The Joystick twists, so that makes Pole Position a bit easier, except when you're passing it seems kinda imprecise...

All the rest of the stuff was in a bag on a table. The lady there was really trying to sell me the Wii system and games that were there, but I wasn't too interested (although there was a Mario Party 10 for the Wii U that I should have asked about) and she said the bag was $5. She kinda peeked in there, so she must've know what was in there... but anyway, silver PS2 has some scuffs and stickers and velcro strips (?) on the bottom that I'll need to clean off, but seems to work fine. Had Madden 09 in it (meh), the memory card had a lot of Madden saves, a GTA3 save, a Gran Turismo 4 save and some other things. Tested out the silver controller and it seems to work okay so far. Haven't tested the black one yet... looks like the cord has really been twisted a lot on that one. No AV cord, but came with the power brick. (This makes the fifth PS2 I have... sigh...)

The God of War 3 has manual and game looks good. My PS3 won't read discs, so I can't actually test it, but it's probably fine.

The Star Wars plug n play had some corrosion in the battery compartment, but wasn't bad. A little vinegar and some new batteries and it seems to work fine. I mean, the games are terrible and the control is difficult, but it works...

post-21069-0-94067500-1529165628_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 2

The TV tuner isn't completely useless, you just have to get more creative with it ;)

Yes, I've already thought of ways I can "pretend" the Game Gear is capable of playing Atari 2600 games. :)

Or maybe instead...

post-6115-0-26621300-1529211271_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure I was just barely spared some sort of matter/antimatter explosion.

I'm impressed with the TV tuner's options. In addition to the built-in antenna, there are jacks for an external antenna and even composite A/V. I kind of doubt you'd see much difference between RF and composite, though. The image had some very distracting full-screen flicker going on, which I suspect may have been caused by the average not-quite-on-spec video signal all game consoles had back in the day. Still, it's good for a picture like this one.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I was just barely spared some sort of matter/antimatter explosion.

That's about how I feel when I play GG games on the GBA.

You just need to find a really small VCR now and some kind of battery pack to run it on B)

VHS on the go!

Finally managed to find an old school lcd game, I used to see these all the time in thrifts as a kid 10+ years ago so it's nice to actually see one again now that I collect. I've also recently have had my interest piqued in retro tech by youtubers so it was nice to find the mint radio as well. The pac man is a remote control car thing, for real life dot munching I guess.

Df_mnzbVQAE_f-A.jpg

Df_moiXU0AAzT3o.jpg

• Like 2

Finally got around to a little thrifting yesterday. Nothing fantastic, but I found a couple books I had been looking for, a DVD, some CDs, and three Simon & Garfunkel vinyls (Sound of Silence, PSR&T, and Bridge over Troubled Water).

eBay, on the other hand, I have been spending a little too much money on lately...

Found this dirty, but functional 360 for $10 over the weekend. It's a 2009 Jasper model. The 120gb hdd was picked up a few days ago from a different thrift for $3. To my surprise, it also works. Everything needs a thorough cleaning and will probably be the first it has seen. :)

post-15209-0-54977000-1529899972_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, the good old Xbox 360. For my money, it's the best console of its generation... and for your money, that's a pretty good deal!

I'm just wondering when Xbox 360s are going to shoot up in price. Once the nostalgia kicks in, those $13 systems will be history.

Went out to lunch with some friends on Saturday, and the place happened to be next to a used book store. My wife collects books, and I saw a tiny sign that they also sell VIDEO GAMES!!!!! so I was all in on checking it out. :lol: Here's my haul:

WDFYxBGl.jpg

PS1:

Soviet Strike

Lucky Luke (missing manual)

PC:

Star Trek: Dominion Wars

Xbox:

The Hobbit

PS2:

Super Trucks Racing

PS3:

LA Noire

DVD:

Street Fighter

Star Wars Episode I (only disc 2, didn't notice until I got home) :(

Super Mario Bros

LP:

Star Wars Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

The jewel of the haul is the Star Wars LP. It appears to be an original pressing, and is a 2 LP set. The cover is slightly bent, but both LP's are minty. This usually goes for around $15-20 on average, and I paid $4!

• Like 2

I've got the original CD run for Raiders of the Lost Ark which is nice, but I do have a John Williams conduct the Star Wars Trilogy on CD from 1990 which is amazing, and the sister to it the Indiana Jones Trilogy under the same bundle setup from the same company Silva America from 1992.

Anyway, not a thrift find but this is something I've wanted going on 20 years now since I learned of it in the early internet (for me) days of the 1990s. Condition wise, maybe 1% paint loss, spotless otherwise which is hard to come by for what you see here which is the Game Boy Light, the imagery just doesn't do the screen clarity any justice which surprised me a lot. No shelf queening on this, it's going to be enjoyed right and stored in a black leather pouch puffy case with a red Nintendo sewed on logo on the flap to keep it safe. Had to start it out with none other than Tetris first. :D

Awful shame we never got it, but I kind of get the reasoning even if I don't like that. Ended up getting it for $80 in the US.

• Like 2

Ah, the good old Xbox 360. For my money, it's the best console of its generation... and for your money, that's a pretty good deal!

I'm just wondering when Xbox 360s are going to shoot up in price. Once the nostalgia kicks in, those $13 systems will be history.

I think the time for finding cheap 360 consoles is beginning. I've noticed more systems and accessories for it turning up lately.

Playstation 2 games and hardware are already in a sweet spot. Everything made before PS2 has been sucked into the $$$ nostalgia bubble. Oddly, I have also noticed original Xbox stuff slowing rising in value.