IGNORED

Custom Color Intellivision System

Rev

It doesn't fit into the "there's only one way to do it theme" in that thread, but Vinyl Dye is an alternative. It scratches more or less like PVC, which may or may not be acceptable to some, and it doesn't wear off. I have camcorders that I've handled hundreds of times and they look the same as the day I painted them.

For those that can't afford a professional automotive spray and understand the trade-offs, it's a viable approach. There's a reason why it's popular among case-modders.

+1. I used vinyl dye for my projects on RevEng's suggestion. Everything has turned out perfectly fine, and my hands are generally pretty damn greasy (stupid genetics). I honestly agree with this sentiment and feel vinyl dye is a perfectly acceptable alternative solution.

I've even used Krylon Fusion for a couple projects, and it does wipe off, but it takes a LOT after properly curing -- normal wear shouldn't do too much over a length of time. Granted as metalguy says, WD-40 or a petroleum base will eat it up no questions asked, but normal wear-and-tear in my opinion generally does not involve spraying a can of WD-40 on your console case or cart shells.

So, do you think the vinyl dye is better that the fusion paint?

How would it do turning a black/brown console white?

The vinyl dye is definitely a higher quality product, but it is pretty expensive (I paid around $11 a can for it when I was using it on magnet carts, my table, etc.) and honestly if it's something that won't see much abrasion or the like on the surfaces, the Fusion looks just as good as long as you spray properly.

Black/brown is probably a bit harder to do than anything I've done. All I did was spray black on black for scuffed 2600 carts, which was a very simple procedure and had a lot of room for error. You'll probably need quite a few coats to get it to look nice, and with the vinyl dye I'd almost recommend a layer of primer first.

The vinyl dye is definitely a higher quality product, but it is pretty expensive (I paid around $11 a can for it when I was using it on magnet carts, my table, etc.) and honestly if it's something that won't see much abrasion or the like on the surfaces, the Fusion looks just as good as long as you spray properly.

Black/brown is probably a bit harder to do than anything I've done. All I did was spray black on black for scuffed 2600 carts, which was a very simple procedure and had a lot of room for error. You'll probably need quite a few coats to get it to look nice, and with the vinyl dye I'd almost recommend a layer of primer first.

I may try the Vinyl dye and see how i like it. Which ever one is the most scratch resistant it the one i want.

Edited by revolutionika

Brown/black to white will work out fine.

The trick is to spray it a few times in thin coats, building up. The nice thing about it is if you do accidentally "puddle" a bit, the puddles actually flow-out flat over a few days.

Don't use primer. Paint will fill up the pores that Vinyl Dye seeps in to.

I'd recommend you try it first on something you're not attached to, until you get a feel for it, decide if you're pleased with the results, etc.

Here's the Vinyl Dye wikipedia for more info.

• Like 2

Brown/black to white will work out fine.

The trick is to spray it a few times in thin coats, building up. The nice thing about it is if you do accidentally "puddle" a bit, the puddles actually flow-out flat over a few days.

Don't use primer. Paint will fill up the pores that Vinyl Dye seeps in to.

I'd recommend you try it first on something you're not attached to, until you get a feel for it, decide if you're pleased with the results, etc.

Here's the Vinyl Dye wikipedia for more info.

+1 from me too!

Hey, i just read somewhere else that if you are going from black to another coler to dye it white first....then the desired color. Does this sound right?

+1 from me too!

Hey, i just read somewhere else that if you are going from black to another coler to dye it white first....then the desired color. Does this sound right?

Thanks guys!

I've heard the same thing before, but I've only used black and white before, so I can't confirm it personally.

Here is what i read on techpowerup.com concerning dye:

Vinyl Dye is a special kind of paint that is used to paint plastics. Unlike normal paint which puts a color coat on the surface vinyl dye 'seeps' into the plastic and colors it from within. This means that the surface detail of engravings/reliefs is not affected and the paint can not be scratched or peeled away. Vinyl dye does not adhere properly to some surfaces, such as those made of metal and those that have been spraypainted before.

It

needs

some plastic to soak into and form a bond there.

Applying Vinyl Dye

- PAINT IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. WEARING A MASK IS SUGGESTED.

- Make sure your can is properly shaken up.

- Clean your surface from dust and dirt with some soap and warm water. No priming or sanding is necesarry.

- Spray from as far away as possible in very light coats- dont cover the whole surface.

- Try to avoid running paint. If it runs do nothing about it. It will seep into the plastic.

- Spray several light coats on your surface until its fully covered. Then add a few extra coats for often-touched areas. Allow 5-15 minutes for the paint to dry between coats.

- After you are finished your plastic can be soft for another 12 hours.

If you want to remove spray paint and vinyl dye something try using brake fluid as paint remover. [Have not tested this personally]

If you want to dye some dark plastic, from black to yellow for example, you have to dye it with white dye first, then dye it again in your final color. If you use non-white dye the final color will be a mix of your first and second color.

Vinyl dying acrylic is possible and gives very good results. Painting it from the backside gives you a nice mirror finish. Lightly sanding the surface before painting gives a deeper color.

If you want to paint your IntelliMouse Explorer you have to sand down the surface first so the dye can get into the plastic.

Use vinyl dye to paint cables. The paint will not flake off when bending the

cable

To touch up small areas you can spray vinyl dye into a (non-plastic) container and use a q-tip to apply the paint.

Edited by revolutionika

If you want to remove spray paint and vinyl dye something try using brake fluid as paint remover. [Have not tested this personally]

My expierience as a mechanic with brake fluid and "plastics" is not something I would be willing to try on something I just spent a bunch of time and effort on.

I would think you would end up with a soft gooey mess.Even in using in a limited basis

The refinish end result by itself I think looks great,but the question of how well it holds up,could be a concern.

I wonder if after its totally dry,you couldnt apply a coat of "clearcoat".similar to a automotive finish?

The alternative would to be using tape to cover it up, which i might try on the next one and see how it turns out.

You mean the less satisfactory alternative. Seems like no matter how perfect you can prep for painting with tape there will always be flaws.

Yeah, i probably will just take them off.

So, are you going to customize one too? icon_smile.gif

Heh, I'm not as adventurous as some, preferring to keep m equipment original. Besides, I've only got the one console I got from you, not the apparently unlimited stacks of them that you have.

BUT... it you want to donate me a console or 3, I'll try my hand at the vinyl dye. :P

The alternative would to be using tape to cover it up, which i might try on the next one and see how it turns out.

You mean the less satisfactory alternative. Seems like no matter how perfect you can prep for painting with tape there will always be flaws.

Heh, I'm not as adventurous as some, preferring to keep m equipment original. Besides, I've only got the one console I got from you, not the apparently unlimited stacks of them that you have.

BUT... it you want to donate me a console or 3, I'll try my hand at the vinyl dye. :P

hey, cmart has more intv consoles than me!!!!

hey, cmart has more intv consoles than me!!!!

;)

If I had programming skills, I'd make an Intellivision homebrew in which Rev and Cmart run around a house trying to steal each other's INTV consoles to amass the larger collection. On the alternative bonus screen they'd have the chance to wander a flea market searching for original boxes to complete their units. I think this game has lots of potential! :D

• Like 2

If I had programming skills, I'd make an Intellivision homebrew in which Rev and Cmart run around a house trying to steal each other's INTV consoles to amass the larger collection. On the alternative bonus screen they'd have the chance to wander a flea market searching for original boxes to complete their units. I think this game has lots of potential! :D

icon_mrgreen.gif

i would buy it!

• Like 1

That would be an awesome game! I'm in. :)

• Like 1

This game needs to be made!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I painted a NES and its controllers with Krylon Fusion once. The tacky feel of the controllers even after days of drying made them feel awkward for playing games. I traded that system off for my first Intellivision system.

That paint job looks great, but I wonder if you are going to like the tacky feel of the controllers afterward.

I painted a NES and its controllers with Krylon Fusion once. The tacky feel of the controllers even after days of drying made them feel awkward for playing games. I traded that system off for my first Intellivision system.

That paint job looks great, but I wonder if you are going to like the tacky feel of the controllers afterward.

After it dries, i will let you guys know how it feels.

After i paint this first round, I will try the dye and see how they turn out.

• 4 years later...

I accidently deleted the pic in the first post. Here is what i am working on right now.

Hopefully this week i can show off some finished projects.

here is a sneak peek:

intvpaintcustom002005.jpg

intvpaintcustom002004.jpg

intvpaintcustom002003.jpg

intvpaintcustom002002.jpg

intvpaintcustom002001.jpg

Those were cool.