Photo

High Score Club 9.11 - Fathom

79 replies to this topic

#51 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 5:06 PM

6. Fall down from the left side of the screen to avoid grey clouds. But don't go down too fast.

I find a free fall along the right side of the sky screens avoids both clouds and birds, allowing you to descend as quickly as the programming allows. Following down the left side will hit birds on the lower two screens if you're in free fall.

Yeah, but I don't like to be near the right side because that's where the birds come out. To avoid getting hit by the birds on the two lower screens, move over about an inch to the right.

#52 DT Kofoed OFFLINE  

DT Kofoed

Moonsweeper

• 399 posts

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 PM

6. Fall down from the left side of the screen to avoid grey clouds. But don't go down too fast.

I find a free fall along the right side of the sky screens avoids both clouds and birds, allowing you to descend as quickly as the programming allows. Following down the left side will hit birds on the lower two screens if you're in free fall.

Yeah, but I don't like to be near the right side because that's where the birds come out. To avoid getting hit by the birds on the two lower screens, move over about an inch to the right.

Hm... I wonder if there's a difference between emulation and hardware on this? It looks like you're using the real deal, and I'm still waiting for ebay to come through.

#53 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 7:51 PM

Yeah, I'm playing this on my atari 2600. I hate playing emulations.

My last score since I don't think I can get 25,000 because it's almost impossible.

Attached Thumbnails

• 232323232fp539_9_nu=8442_;3;_259_WSNRCG=339;65_48534_nu0mrj1.jpg

#54 DT Kofoed OFFLINE  

DT Kofoed

Moonsweeper

• 399 posts

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 PM

IMG_1770s.jpg

Second player here to crack 20K, but dang, Frostbite... I'm still going to have to concede victory to that there display of skill!

#55 Jifremok OFFLINE  

Jifremok

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Mon May 23, 2011 10:44 PM

Probably my last score as well. I don't see myself trying to squeeze every point out of this.
Posted Image

#56 JacobZu7zu7 OFFLINE  

JacobZu7zu7

River Patroller

• 3,734 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 7:30 AM

Just doin' my job... Mermaid.
""Don't it make your brown water, blue""

Attached Thumbnails

• fathom 21,105.jpg

#57 Chuck D. Head OFFLINE  

Chuck D. Head

River Patroller

• 3,197 posts
  • Mod Mod Mod

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 AM

Last submission - 18,566. Looks like we did much better as a group than last time around. I had three games in a row that I could not quite complete; I got to the site of the leftmost piece on level seven and it just wasnt there. I finally figured out what happened; if you make the star appear and you go off screen before getting it, it dont come back! This doesn't seem to happen anywhere else in the game. It seems like the bird is much more "floaty" and hard to control when six or seven levels high in the sky and this causes some control issues on this final piece of the trident. Anyhow, I'm done.

fathom 18566.jpg

#58 classicgamer_27330 OFFLINE  

classicgamer_27330

Dragonstomper

• 983 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 10:57 AM

I can't ****ing score in this ****ing game.

do I get 1 point for entering or do I have to score something to get credit

#59 Chuck D. Head OFFLINE  

Chuck D. Head

River Patroller

• 3,197 posts
  • Mod Mod Mod

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 12:00 PM

I can't ****ing score in this ****ing game.

do I get 1 point for entering or do I have to score something to get credit

well, I say that participating is participating, but I think you can finish level one.

1 - swim down from start, touch all seahorses on the screen and a star will appear - grab it
2 - Go down a screen, grab more seahorses until your bird symbol appears at the bottom. Swim to the surface and press the button.
3 - Fly one screen to the right and one screen up. Touch both clouds and a star will appear. Grab it.
4 - Go back to the center screen (where you changed to a bird) and then repeat step three but to the left side. Once you touch the third star you have all three pieces of the trident.
5 - Go back to the center screen and press the button to turn back into a dolphin. Go down the side to avoid obstacles, all the way to the bottom and touch the mermaids cage to free her and complete the round.

6 - Unless you touched too many octopus, enemy birds, or grey clouds, you will now have a score. YAY!

#60 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 2:51 PM

Last submission - 18,566. Looks like we did much better as a group than last time around. I had three games in a row that I could not quite complete; I got to the site of the leftmost piece on level seven and it just wasnt there. I finally figured out what happened; if you make the star appear and you go off screen before getting it, it dont come back! This doesn't seem to happen anywhere else in the game. It seems like the bird is much more "floaty" and hard to control when six or seven levels high in the sky and this causes some control issues on this final piece of the trident. Anyhow, I'm done.

fathom 18566.jpg

If you miss the leftmost piece on the 7th level I think you can still get it by going all the way down and coming back to get it.

#61 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 2:54 PM

IMG_1770s.jpg

Second player here to crack 20K, but dang, Frostbite... I'm still going to have to concede victory to that there display of skill!

Thanks DT Kofoed. 20,000 on an emulator is great too. BTW, did you know you can fly past the valcano's without stopping if you fly as high and fast as possible. It only works if you're traveling to the left though. For some strange reason it doesn't work to the right.

#62 Stan OFFLINE  

Stan

River Patroller

• 3,498 posts
  • 世嘉电子智能机好极了!

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 4:23 PM

Damn, you guys are killing me! First try, not so bad, I did beat it, but I don't know if I'll have more time to get a higher score by the deadline. Current score is below. I took a picture in case anyone cares, but I didn't think it mattered because it's not that high. At least I got the bonus the first go. I would have been about 1-2K higher, but the last level came down to me having 87 points remaining because the last piece was a bitch to find. Anyone notice that sometimes it seems like the order you get the clouds brings up the piece? That or not getting hit by the birds, I'm not sure which. Anyway, here it is for now, I'll try later if I can.

Also, here's my

MEGA SUPER ULTRA TIP

Not sure if anyone noticed this, but I was having trouble avoiding birds in the sky because of how your character tends to hover. Tapping the button lightly makes him flap just enough, but usually you won't be accurate all the time to get it to stay in short flaps. Therefore, make a habit of using DOWN on the joystick religiously. By quickly pressing it down you can make your bird descend just a bit to slow down his ascent. Doing it rapidly gives you more control over hovering, and thus getting the clouds. You can also use this to descend rapidly through the sky by just holding down.

Edited by Stan, Tue May 24, 2011 4:25 PM.

#63 classicgamer_27330 OFFLINE  

classicgamer_27330

Dragonstomper

• 983 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 5:43 PM

I scored

#64 Zach OFFLINE  

Zach

Stargunner

• 1,620 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 5:54 PM

It's a masterpiece of programming with top-notch artwork, but it wasn't my cup of tea. At least I gave it a try. :)

I agree that technically and artistically this game is astounding. The control scheme is just so poorly designed! Push the button and use the joystick to swim... how much more convoluted could this be? And why do I feel the need to complain that flying feels too floaty? Still, glad to have an excuse to really get into this one, otherwise I doubt I could have gotten over the learning curve to really appreciate it.

Thanks. I tried again and managed to clear level 2 after realizing that sometimes you have to touch the grey clouds. Probably won't get around to playing again before the submission deadline.

DSCN4179.JPG

Edited by Zach, Tue May 24, 2011 5:55 PM.

#65 pokeplayer984 OFFLINE  

pokeplayer984

Space Invader

• 48 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 7:09 PM

Ugh! I need a freaking Walkthrough here!

I can get through level one just fine. It's the rest I have a problem with.

132 points is my best so far! -_-

Edited by pokeplayer984, Tue May 24, 2011 7:27 PM.

#66 classicgamer_27330 OFFLINE  

classicgamer_27330

Dragonstomper

• 983 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 7:27 PM

110, I'm done with this game.

#67 pokeplayer984 OFFLINE  

pokeplayer984

Space Invader

• 48 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 7:38 PM

Okay, FINALLY got past Level 2 and I got a new score here.

Attached Thumbnails

• Fathom 1.png

#68 JacobZu7zu7 OFFLINE  

JacobZu7zu7

River Patroller

• 3,734 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 8:05 PM

Ugh! I need a freaking Walkthrough here!

I can get through level one just fine. It's the rest I have a problem with.

132 points is my best so far! -_-

There's a MAP on page 1. It let's you know what SECTION of clouds has the secret
"Star" or piece of the key for each level.

For example... look at the boxes on the map [] they all go upwards with LEVEL numbers in them, which is the way and reason you fly up in the sky... (you can't go left/right) only up. So just get up in the sky under the correct sections from the map, and collect the pink clouds... just don't get too many (before) getting the key completed, or else you will hit grey clouds.

It is "very possible" to go through the whole game without touching one grey cloud.

Another nice tip would be, you only need to get each and every pink cloud of the ACTUAL SECTION OF SKY that has the key piece! Just don't get bumped out of the section or else you have to start again, (going down and back up) never up, then down...

You don't need all clouds in every section to get the key pieces. AKA Trident.

If you get really good, and your key is completed, then you can collect all pink clouds for extra points! Untill they turn grey then fly down and away from them.

#69 DT Kofoed OFFLINE  

DT Kofoed

Moonsweeper

• 399 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 9:13 PM

All right: here goes my last minute effort after work to climb back into a top three finish for the first time...

#70 Stan OFFLINE  

Stan

River Patroller

• 3,498 posts
  • 世嘉电子智能机好极了!

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 9:54 PM

Phew this is all I got for today! Would have had a higher score, but I screwed up a bit on level six. Lost about 700 points on that one damn it! I took a picture if anyone cares to see it.

#71 toymailman OFFLINE  

toymailman

River Patroller

• 2,026 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 10:52 PM

I broke 20k! We really kicked it up a notch from the last time this was played.

Fathom1BB_HSC_9-11.jpg

For fun, my best Level 1 score: 277
Fathom1BB_HSC_9-11_Lvl1.jpg

#72 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 PM

Wow, 8 people with at least 10,000 points. Last time only 1 person had over 10,000

#73 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 11:05 PM

I broke 20k! We really kicked it up a notch from the last time this was played.

Fathom1BB_HSC_9-11.jpg

For fun, my best Level 1 score: 277
Fathom1BB_HSC_9-11_Lvl1.jpg

Great level 1 score. I usually only get about 220 in level 1.
My high scores for each level.

Leve1 1 231
level 2 339
level 3 about 540
level 4 727
level 5 at least 865
level 6 1030
level 7 1233

#74 DT Kofoed OFFLINE  

DT Kofoed

Moonsweeper

• 399 posts

Posted Tue May 24, 2011 11:38 PM

Photo Finish!

IMG_1773s.jpg

Ooof...

#75 Krytol OFFLINE  

Krytol

Stargunner

• 1,514 posts

Posted Thu May 26, 2011 7:15 AM

After beating it now, I don't think the current record of over 1,000,000 is possible. The game ends and it doesn't continue. I think if a player zipped through each level and avoided all point stealing obsticles then maybe 30k is tops. 1M seems in the "I don't believe it" realm. :ponder:

Frostbite76 may have a feeling of what the max score is as he is over 21k now (but nowhere near 1,000,000).

I think the max score is around 25,000- 27,000. I don't get hit that much anymore and move around very fast. Unless you get some crazy bonus for not hitting anything, I don't see how more than 27,000 is possible.

So, what do you think about Todd Rogers' record? How was that possible?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users