IGNORED

Looking for Atari 8000 XL OS Sources

JAC!

Hi,

I only have the Atari800 (REV A) and Atari800XLF (REV 5) OS sources. I also have disassemlies of the other versions, but they are uncommented and not really readable.

Cheers, Peter.

It's the same I already have but now I found that only the first one (the self test rom) is undocumented. The rest is fine. Thanks. Now I'll go and see if I can get my rotating cube into 256b via dirty OS usage ;-)

Edited by JAC!

All I have is hardcopy... someone must have it scanned in. If you find it, post it on AA - OK?

Does AA have a place for these kind of things?

Bob

post-14708-0-79318000-1306257268_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I only have the Atari800 (REV A) and Atari800XLF (REV 5) OS sources. I also have disassemlies of the other versions, but they are uncommented and not really readable.

Cheers, Peter.

Does AA have a place for these kind of things?

Yes - the location is this thread! Just upload the PDF and make sure it's searchable from the AA search box (and Google) by naming the PDF "Atari 800XL OS Source Listing" or similar. If someone gets around to creating an Atari 8-bit section like the other consoles have on AA, then someone will be able to extract the various documentation and pictures and files from all over AtariAge for the Atari 8-bit documentation project :D

All I have is hardcopy... someone must have it scanned in. If you find it, post it on AA - OK?

... (scan of a one page of that hardcopy)

:o

Bob, it seems you have the actual ATARI source of the original XL (version 2) OS. I don't think this has ever been published or made public in any way. We of course have several reverse engineered versions, but the original sources with original comments is a different thing. The XLF sources mentioned above were posted by Curt some time ago, but they were for a later version that was never distributed in computers.

I would consider your hardcopy invaluable. It would be awesome if you could scan and post it. I realize scanning would be quite some work. I don't mind at all contributing with money so that you could pay for a scanning service, avoiding doing the whole scan by yourself.

Edited by ijor

bob1200xl,

Are you sure your hardcopy is not identical to the well-known OS Rev. 5? The 1984 copyright date made me suspect it.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, I looked again and this indeed seems legitimate. But the hardcopy has a problem: all of the longer lines are trimmed and end with a ":".

Edited by Kr0tki

A lot of folks have the hardcopy. What would be nice is to be able to edit and print the thing. Where would I go to get it scanned? (it's a couple of hundred pages...) What format should we make it? If it is a PDF, can we edit it?

Bob

... (scan of a one page of that hardcopy)

:o

Bob, it seems you have the actual ATARI source of the original XL (version 2) OS. I don't think this has ever been published or made public in any way. We of course have several reverse engineered versions, but the original sources with original comments is a different thing. The XLF sources mentioned above were posted by Curt some time ago, but they were for a later version that was never distributed in computers.

I would consider your hardcopy invaluable. It would be awesome if you could scan and post it. I realize scanning would be quite some work. I don't mind at all contributing with money so that you could pay for a scanning service, avoiding doing the whole scan by yourself.

A lot of folks have the hardcopy. What would be nice is to be able to edit and print the thing. Where would I go to get it scanned? (it's a couple of hundred pages...) What format should we make it? If it is a PDF, can we edit it?

I'm not sure that really a lot of folks have a hardcopy of the original XL OS. Your copy is the first one that I've seen. There might be others that have it, but as long as they keep it secret and don't want to share it, then for the rest of us it doesn't count.

Nowadays, most photocopy and printshops are full digital. Those same places that photocopy a whole book (sometimes thousands of pages) for students, should be able to make a good scan. Yes, a PDF would be fine.

No, we won't be able to edit it with the scan. But that is the first step. Once the scans would be publicly available, people eventually would OCR it (manually, or automatically), and we'll have an editable and searchable file. Without the scans that won't be possible.

Again, I would be glad to contribute money for the scanning cost.

@Kr0tki: Yes, long lines seem to be truncated. Hopefully we won't miss too much. Regardless, that seems to be the best thing we have so far.

And, then from the PDF you can OCR the text, or do we have to scan it again? It may result in a really big file - can we break a large PDF file into smaller ones?

It's not a secret... all of these guys working on OS hacks probably have it. It just isn't easily distributed like a file would be. How many folks would really need it? I got mine from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from Atari. We had a lot of Atari employees in our local clubs.

It looks like 4-8 columns of the printout were truncated. I made my copy from the original 14 1/2 x 11 system output print and I got everything that printed. Once in a while, I might miss something useful because of that, but it isn't too much of a problem.

Bob

I'm not sure that really a lot of folks have a hardcopy of the original XL OS. Your copy is the first one that I've seen. There might be others that have it, but as long as they keep it secret and don't want to share it, then for the rest of us it doesn't count.

Nowadays, most photocopy and printshops are full digital. Those same places that photocopy a whole book (sometimes thousands of pages) for students, should be able to make a good scan. Yes, a PDF would be fine.

No, we won't be able to edit it with the scan. But that is the first step. Once the scans would be publicly available, people eventually would OCR it (manually, or automatically), and we'll have an editable and searchable file. Without the scans that won't be possible.

@Kr0tki: Yes, long lines seem to be truncated. Hopefully we won't miss too much. Regardless, that seems to be the best thing we have so far.

And, then from the PDF you can OCR the text, or do we have to scan it again?

An image is an image is an image, you can OCR any image to try and recover text from it. No special requirements, and you don't have to rescan it either. In fact, you can even OCR your photo album.

OCR does require babysitting, it misses just as much as the average person typos. Of course, the high end OCR systems command a high price, as does a stenographer. You get what you paid for.

And, then from the PDF you can OCR the text, or do we have to scan it again? It may result in a really big file - can we break a large PDF file into smaller ones?

Not that big - the 400/800 Operating System Source Listing PDF that floats on the 'Net weighs 6.3 MB. If it's not scanned in unnecessarily big DPI, it shouldn't be bigger than that.

What DPI should we use? I'll try some of my listing.

Bob

Not that big - the 400/800 Operating System Source Listing PDF that floats on the 'Net weighs 6.3 MB. If it's not scanned in unnecessarily big DPI, it shouldn't be bigger than that.

Yes - looks like output from a line printer.

Couldn't we split it up between a number of folks and correct the OCR document from the PDF? (Is it worth doing?)

I'll see what I can do for a PDF...

Bob

Luckily it's not 9-pin matrix, so it'd OCR fairly well.

Problem is it looks like the print's faded in a lot of places so it'll likely come up with lots of errors.

• 3 weeks later...

OfficeMax will scan this for $0.25 per page. There are a couple of hundred pages... Anyone else want to participate?

Bob