Photo

SIO2USB with a FTDI basic breakout board

88 replies to this topic

#51 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,724 posts

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:06 PM

I've got it cased up and have been putting it through its paces with AspeQt..

I had mentioned before that I couldn't get lower than Pokey 3 or 4 using AspeQt and Sloopy's SIO2USB ( ;) ) device. I was able to get to zero with this FTDI board and the high-speed code of the IDE+2. I did get several files trashed at zero using my HD backup program written in Action!. So zero looks like it may be a bit too much for this setup. Maybe a better sector copier might do better. But anyway, I'm very pleased with the results.

-Larry

I use Hias's hi-speed patch with DOS 2.5 (or the hi-speed OS that came with U1MB which is already patched, with SDX 4.45) and haven't had any problems with divisor 0 so far. At that divisor AspeQt shows 125KB operating speed (read). With SDX I have a CONFIG.SYS file with DEVICE SIO /A line in it. /A tells SDX to use OS's SIO routines rather than the one built-in SDX. This way divisor 0 is possible without problems. Also having a fast PC seems to make a difference. I believe SDX manual suggests setting the divisor as low as 3 to have a stable operation when using SDX's SIO routines.

I haven't used Sloopy's cable but mine (the one I build and sell) is also based on FT232Rx chip (like sloopy's) and it has no problems at divisor 0 (in fact that chip is rated up to 3Mbaud) so the bottleneck is usually the software not the hardware.

Edited by atari8warez, Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:11 PM.

#52 Larry OFFLINE  

Larry

River Patroller

• 4,104 posts

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:01 AM

I re-ran my backup program at Pokey "1" and "2." At "1" I still got one scrozzled file (down from 4 or 5 at Pokey "0"). With "2," none. Ran it again at "2" with the same error-free results. I'm good with Pokey "2." As Drac030 reported, he got good results at "1" so your mileage may vary... One feature that I particularly like about AspeQt is the continuous sector count update.

I used hot melt to anchor the board in my little project box, which of course can be removed with Isopropyl Alcohol if I need to change something.

-Larry

#53 David_P OFFLINE  

David_P

Dragonstomper

• 936 posts

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:31 PM

Another potential source, at $7.70 USD each: http://dx.com/p/jy-m...-arduino-104322

I've ordered one and will let you know how it turns out.

#54 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,724 posts

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:43 PM

@David_P

You don't want that for a SIO2PC... It doesn't give you any handshaking lines (DSR/CTS or RI) required for SIO2PC use.

Edited by atari8warez, Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 PM.

#55 santosp OFFLINE  

santosp

Dragonstomper

• 795 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:14 PM

Hi Guys.
I have a question about your Spark-fun boards. The RX - TX led works? :?

Edited by santosp, Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:15 PM.

#56 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,724 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:29 PM

They're supposed to but I never owned one so can't really comment on that with a certainty. Don't the leds on yours work?

#57 santosp OFFLINE  

santosp

Dragonstomper

• 795 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:16 PM

Nope! :(

#58 Larry OFFLINE  

Larry

River Patroller

• 4,104 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:31 PM

Mine function, but using with the green and red LED's that I have, they are not very bright.

I tested them during building, but decided not to use them.

-Larry

#59 santosp OFFLINE  

santosp

Dragonstomper

• 795 posts

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:56 PM

Ah, Ok thanks for info.. :) :thumbsup:

#60 ZZTOP SOFT OFFLINE  

ZZTOP SOFT

Chopper Commander

• 185 posts

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:22 AM

I made this "sio2usb" FTDI, but I can't start APE emulation.  :(

ASPEQT works fine, but I miss the old APE. Using the wizard, COM4 and CTS are detected, but there's any communication with the Atari.

Any ideas? or advice?

ZZT

#61 lemiel OFFLINE  

lemiel

Moonsweeper

• 279 posts

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:09 PM

You need registered version - 3.0.11 includes 64-bit RS232, USB and VCP Support (for FTDI RS2USB).

Edited by lemiel, Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:09 PM.

#62 Hellraiser OFFLINE  

Hellraiser

Space Invader

• 29 posts

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:57 PM

I tried this with a FT232R breakout board but it doesnt work, the tx led flashes for awhile as the Atari boots but then it stops as it shows the ready screen, I tried with APE and AspeQt and various ATR images, none boot.

#63 ZZTOP SOFT OFFLINE  

ZZTOP SOFT

Chopper Commander

• 185 posts

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:23 PM

You need registered version - 3.0.11 includes 64-bit RS232, USB and VCP Support (for FTDI RS2USB).

Ufff Then, I have to pay for that. Tks.  :-D

#64 rockdoc2010 OFFLINE  

rockdoc2010

Chopper Commander

• 176 posts
  • working swings,

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:55 PM

I had a similar issue where I required a serial port to dial in a thermal printer prior to trying to implement it into my atari. I also recently purchased an aruino uno and mega2560 and I am trying my hand at that arena as well.

This unit cost 6$ at Digikey. I have set it up and Windows sees the board and now its time to see if I can use the printer. I am using Hardware handshaking

http://www.ftdichip....S_UMFT234XF.pdf

Good Luck!

Douglas

#65 fadix OFFLINE  

fadix

Space Invader

• 48 posts

Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:50 AM

I tried this with a FT232R breakout board but it doesnt work, the tx led flashes for awhile as the Atari boots but then it stops as it shows the ready screen, I tried with APE and AspeQt and various ATR images, none boot.

I think I may have a similar issue. I tried AspeQt under Linux and most ATR images don't boot for me. I either get the memo pad, or it partially loads the image. What OS are you running on the PC side?

#66 eeun OFFLINE  

eeun

Chopper Commander

• 169 posts

Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:44 PM

A note for those shopping for a FT232 board on ebay: some retailers are using a title of "FT232" on their auctions, but in the details the board is actually a PL2303. It'll work (I have one working with my 800), but some users report it's not as good as the FT232. The PL2303 also has compatibility issues with Windows 8 on the PC side.

Edited by eeun, Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:47 PM.

#67 Hellraiser OFFLINE  

Hellraiser

Space Invader

• 29 posts

Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:28 PM

I think I may have a similar issue. I tried AspeQt under Linux and most ATR images don't boot for me. I either get the memo pad, or it partially loads the image. What OS are you running on the PC side?

I am using Windows XP, will try with linux soon.

#68 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,724 posts

Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:07 PM

Guys, there are fake/counterfeit FTDI FT232R/RL chips in circulation, and this is not just a fairy tale it is true.  I personally received 20 faulty chips from a Chinese distributor recently as some of you may know I build and sell SIO2PC devices, that was one f the reasons why my 4th run of the SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB delayed a bit.  I since RMA ed those chips to FTDI and they will look at them and confirm whether they are counterfeit or simply defective.

I am not saying the chips in your breakout devices are faulty or fake but that's a possibility too, so be careful when picking your supplier. I personally from now on will source all of my chips from Digikey to be on the safe side, saving a few bucks on parts only made the whole device more costly at the end :)

Edited by atari8warez, Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:09 PM.

#69 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,724 posts

Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:13 PM

A note for those shopping for a FT232 board on ebay: some retailers are using a title of "FT232" on their auctions, but in the details the board is actually a PL2303. It'll work (I have one working with my 800), but some users report it's not as good as the FT232. The PL2303 also has compatibility issues with Windows 8 on the PC side.

Prolific chips are high risk for SIO2PC use, I would suggest staying away from them. SIO2PC timings are critical and I wouldn't use anything but a genuine FTDI chip if stable operation is an objective

Edited by atari8warez, Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:13 PM.

#70 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,498 posts

Posted Thu May 15, 2014 1:46 PM

FTDI board finally arrived from HK today:

FTDI_Board.jpg

FTDI_SIO2PC.jpg

SIO2PC_1200XL.jpg

Light conductor works quite well, although it doesn't quite reach the SMD LEDs:

Eventually I'll glue a dummy screw head and nut into the recesses of the molex plug. Not bad for 2GBP and an hour's work. :)

#71 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 983 posts

Posted Thu May 15, 2014 1:53 PM

We sure have come a long way from Nick Kennedy's original SIO2PC with the MAX232 chip.

Looks great!

#72 Bikerbob OFFLINE  

Bikerbob

Dragonstomper

• 689 posts

Posted Sat Jun 4, 2016 1:52 PM

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life..

But That item you built Flashjazz is that just an sio2pc.. or can this whole thing be used as a drive 2 pc device?

I am just not sure what these boards are able to do... many like this http://www.ebay.ca/i...k8AAOSwrklVMjIpare available.. so I am wondering if I am trying to get both sio2usb and drive2pc .. can this work for me?

James

#73 Madi OFFLINE  

Madi

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Sat Jun 4, 2016 2:47 PM

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life..

But That item you built Flashjazz is that just an sio2pc.. or can this whole thing be used as a drive 2 pc device?

I am just not sure what these boards are able to do... many like this http://www.ebay.ca/i...k8AAOSwrklVMjIpare available.. so I am wondering if I am trying to get both sio2usb and drive2pc .. can this work for me?

James

Atarimax sells Universal SIO2PC/ProSystem interface that is completely auto-sensing, auto-switching and jumperless.

Also, Ray (atariwarez) used to sell SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB devices.

Building your own device is not that difficult. I made my own using FTDI breakout board and some other easy to obtain components:

Building the not so expensive  SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB device

madi

#74 mytek OFFLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• 3,384 posts

Posted Sat Jun 4, 2016 3:00 PM

And Lotharek also sells an SIO2PC-USB for 19.99 EUR.

001_s.jpg

- Michael

#75 Bikerbob OFFLINE  

Bikerbob

Dragonstomper

• 689 posts

Posted Sat Jun 4, 2016 3:44 PM

And Lotharek also sells an SIO2PC-USB for 19.99 EUR.

001_s.jpg

- Michael

Unfortunately this device does not work as a drive2pc (or 10502pc)  it only works the other way around.. or at least according to what I can read. I have sio2pc.. its drive to pc I am trying to get working.

James

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users