IGNORED

High Score Club 9.12 - Stargate / Defender II

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

First, the best brains in the world designed a super spaceship to defend your planet against eveil aliens who lusted to conquer it. But the marauders kept coming! Your new secret weapon: stargate, a powerful stellar gateway to the universe. It's the only hope for your beleagured planet! Once again, you take to the skies in your ship -- now fortified with the mysterious cloaking compound, INVISO. With the help of the stargate, maybe -- just maybe -- you can save the last humanoids and wipe out the aliens FOREVER!

stargate-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: stargate / Defender II
  • Released By: Atari, 1985
  • Left Difficulty: N / A
  • Right Difficulty: N / A
  • Game Mode: Default - 1 Player

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday June 1st at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Double Score Dungeon - This week, scoring is extended... First place will get 22 points, second place 21 points, ..., 20th place gets 3 points, and everyone else gets 2 points.

Current High Scores
  1. 225,250 (toymailman) [+22]
  2. 189,050 (oyamafamily) [+21]
  3. 104,400 (Stan) [+20]
  4. 95,650 (Jifremok) [+19]
  5. 90,700 (JacobZu7zu7) [+18]
  6. 88,200 (Chuck D. Head) [+17]
  7. 80,850 (Frostbite76) [+16]
  8. 79,050 (Gorfy) [+15]
  9. 74,850 (DT Kofoed) [+14]
  10. 73,950 (Torr) [+13]
  11. 69,900 (Mister VCS) [+12]
  12. 68,450 (Vocelli) [+11]
  13. 57,850 (zylon) [+10]
  14. 55,300 (classicgamer_27330) [+9]
  15. 53,500 (Scrabbler15) [+8]
  16. 51,600 (roadrunner) [+7]
  17. 45,050 (Miss 2600) [+6]
  18. 43,750 (ed1475) [+5]
  19. 33,300 (centiqueen81) [+4]
  20. 27,650 (pokeplayer984) [+3]
  21. 27,000 (rmaerz) [+2]
  22. 13,000 (Amstari) [+1]
  23. 12,450 (littleman jack) [+1]
  24. 5900 (Darth Kinzer) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Stan [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 79,700 (Stephen Knox)
  2. 77,350 (Robert Macauley) (PAL)
  3. 65,650 (Alan W Hewston)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. JacobZu7zu7 [154]
  2. oyamafamily [140]
  3. toymailman [140]
  4. Vocelli [115]
  5. Frostbite76 [107]
  6. Deteacher [76]
  7. Gorfy [75]
  8. classicgamer_27330 [54]
  9. SpiceWare [48]
  10. Scrabbler15 [47]
  11. DT Kofoed [43]up.gif
  12. Miss 2600 [41]down.gif
  13. Amstari [41]down.gif
  14. Stan [40]up.gif
  15. pis [38]down.gif
  16. keilbaca [37]down.gif
  17. roadrunner [26]
  18. Cynicaster [20]
  19. SeaGtGruff [20]
  20. Jifremok [18]up.gif
  21. Mister VCS [17]up.gif
  22. cparsley [17]down.gif
  23. HatefulGravey [17]down.gif
  24. Curious Sofa [16]down.gif
  25. centiqueen81 [15]down.gif
  26. LarcenTyler [13]down.gif
  27. Krytol [13]down.gif
  28. pokeplayer984 [13]down.gif
  29. zylon [10]down.gif
  30. Chuck D. Head [9]new.gif
  31. Wickeycolumbus [6]down.gif
  32. littleman jack [6]down.gif
  33. atarigal [5]down.gif
  34. Cortat G [5]down.gif
  35. bennybingo [5]down.gif
  36. Zach [3]up.gif
  37. atariUCLA24 [3]down.gif
  38. dwane413 [3]new.gif
  39. SpaceDice2010 [2]down.gif
  40. MIKE5200 [2]down.gif
  41. Mangia-Boy [1]down.gif
  42. rmaerz [1]down.gif
  43. Buck [1]down.gif
  44. 4Ks [1]down.gif
  45. Cream147 [1]down.gif
  46. theKLT [1]down.gif
  47. DickNixonArisen [1]down.gif
  48. leematari [1]

Scoring Points in stargate / Defender II
  • Landers - 150 points
  • Mutants - 150 points
  • Yllabian Space Guppies - 200 points
  • Firebombers - 250 points
  • Pods - 1000 points
  • Swarmers - 150 points
  • Dynamos - 200 points
  • Baiters - 200 points
  • Phreds - 200 points
  • Munchies - 50 points
  • At the end of attack waves 1 through 5, you receive 100, 200, 300, 400, or 500 points for every humanoid left on the planet, respectively. After the 5th attack wave, you receive 500 points for every humanoid left.
  • You can also keep the rescued humanoids with you on board your ship. In attack waves 1 through 9, if you pass through a stargate while transporting four or more humanoids on your ship, you'll automatically advance four waves in the game. You'll also receive 1000 points for every humanoid left on the planet.
  • For every 10,000 points you score, you earn another ship, another smart bomb, and more inviso.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• The Scanner on your screen shows you any area on the planet where humanoids are in danger. Keep an eye on your scanner -- it will alert you to any emergencies in another part of the sky. Rush to a stargate for immediate transport to that sector.
  • Your planet will be destroyed if all the humanoids are turned into mutants -- but you must still defend yourself! If you're a good fighter, your planet will be restored in wave 6, or in every fifth wave after that.
  • In attack wave 5 and every 10th attack wave thereafter, you'll encounter the Yllabian dog fight. The only aliens that appear on the screen are Yllabian Space Guppies, Pods, and Dynamos. It takes skill and practice to make it through this wave.
  • In every 10th attack wave, you'll find yourself in the middle of a Firebomber showdown. Firebombers are everywhere. Keep a sharp eye and a nimble firing finger.
  • Whenever you lose a ship, you reappear on the screen with a new one (if you have any left). But all action stops until you move the joystick.
  • Along with the powers of your super spaceship, you've been blessed with supersonic hearing. You can hear the humanoids scream as they're being accosted by landers. On your side of the planet, this comes as a faint yelp. The sound of explosions means that a humanoid and lander have just been transformed into a mutant.

We played this game once before in the High Score Club, you might want to check out that thread for more hints.

Stan

1. Make it IMPERATIVE that you protect most if not ALL of the little dudes in the first couple of stages. You get tons of points from saving, catching, and returning them.
  2. My tactic has been to fly around and take out the green bugs, avoiding the other ships, unless they come directly at you. This works fine early on and you can max out points, getting around 30K by level four or so if you keep all your dudes.
  3. DO NOT think it's a better idea to max out points through just killing ships. Avoiding saving your guys will lead to the special levels where you fight all the ships. At first, this might seem like a cool angle to work, but you run out of steam in a few levels because they speed up regardless of your score.
  4. At advanced levels (50K and on by my scoring tactic above), your best bet is to try to save 1-2 dudes and let the other ones go, taking out ships as they come for you. That way, you avoid the ship levels, and you're able to keep racking up good points.

JacobZu7zu7

In general, I don't like to speed through levels much or I will crash into stuff, just hit enemies medium pace and clear the screen. If I have to play the "no survivors lighting level" I will! I get cheap deaths trying to save people quickly. To hell with the rush! I take my time now.

I use smart bombs only after 30/40ks mark, and when I do, it's if 3 things are on the screen, it really can lower the amount to shoot. Of course, being invisible helps too, mostly when you're about to be "hit" by something.

I tried something different after reaching around 50ks, I sat my ship still this time... the waves became too fast to rescue everyone, I just stayed low, and shot out the green aliens from one single screen tapping (left,right) keeping two people safe as long as possible. Even staying just high enough for a green alien to "take" the person up, then shoot his arse down will get good extra points from people landing down safely. Only worry about the green aliens, forget the stuff that can be shot down later, just dodge, shoot, use toe if near!

I also used smart bombs, and invisibility on the pink fly looking things, so I didn't have to move much, everything else, I just would fire and hope for clearing a round.

--Zero

Yaaahooooo! Finally a game I have n' love! :thumbsup: :lust: Will post score soon. Great pick this week this should be fun! Good luck n' Happy gaming :)

My thoughts exactly, however I find this game dreadfully hard as well, this was the last 'NEW' Atari game I received back in the day, and I got Defender II.... never new about this 'Stargate' game until I found AA.

Time to get some practice and highscoring going.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

Yaaahooooo! Finally a game I have n' love! :thumbsup: :lust: Will post score soon. Great pick this week this should be fun! Good luck n' Happy gaming :)

My thoughts exactly, however I find this game dreadfully hard as well, this was the last 'NEW' Atari game I received back in the day, and I got Defender II.... never new about this 'Stargate' game until I found AA.

Time to get some practice and highscoring going.

Here. Here. So true this definitely is a challenging game. If I have one complaint it's that you have to use 2 joysticks. :x Too bad they didn't make a special joystick for this game :( Oh well, what can ya do! Good luck fellow gamers ;)

Well here is my first attempt...... 33,300: :twisted: :thumbsdown: Boy, if I want to make it in this tourney I better keep practicing! Some great scores have been achieved here so far. Can't wait to see what the h.s is gonna be come the the end of this tourney! Back to the drawing board! :sad:

post-29475-0-12093400-1306421547_thumb.jpg

It's REALLY tough after 50ks. I save my bombs 'till after the 30 or 40k mark.

Cool, after the bombs are up, you get temporary invisibility by continuing with the "foot" button on joystick 2.

I am peaking early here, I wonder if I can even do better then this,

post-3059-0-04995700-1306422040_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-59077300-1306433515_thumb.jpg

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

Yeah, this game definitely gets tough after that. 70K seems about par for advanced players, and then after that I assume luck is a big factor. However, I do have some ultra mega awesome tips below! Here's my new score with picture attached:

ULTRA MEGA SUPER AWESOME KEWL TIPS

1. Make it IMPERATIVE that you protect most if not ALL of the little dudes in the first couple of stages. You get tons of points from saving, catching, and returning them.

2. My tactic has been to fly around and take out the green bugs, avoiding the other ships, unless they come directly at you. This works fine early on and you can max out points, getting around 30K by level four or so if you keep all your dudes.

3. DO NOT think it's a better idea to max out points through just killing ships. Avoiding saving your guys will lead to the special levels where you fight all the ships. At first, this might seem like a cool angle to work, but you run out of steam in a few levels because they speed up regardless of your score.

4. At advanced levels (50K and on by my scoring tactic above), your best bet is to try to save 1-2 dudes and let the other ones go, taking out ships as they come for you. That way, you avoid the ship levels, and you're able to keep racking up good points.

post-22322-0-17064800-1306435698_thumb.jpg