IGNORED

Tiger game.com

i have one and it is gawd awful

the refresh rate is atrocious, so any action games are virtually impossible to play. graphically, it didnt seem any better than a black & white game boy, but im sure somebody with tech specs memorized can clarify/correct me on that.

non-action games like lights out, wheel of fortune, jeopardy, quiz wiz etc are perfectly fine to play, but the system is oversized and the screen is hard to see (better than a bw game boy, but that isnt saying much) so there are better platforms to play these types of games.

One of the things that surprised me about the Game.com was how good a job Tiger did at securing the rights to big name games. There's even a version of Resident Evil 2 available on the Game.com. The unit itself isn't that great though. There's no real competition next to the Game Boy/Gameboy Color and Game Gear at all (or heck, even the Lynx!)

It is an interesting conversation piece for the more serious collectors out there and (at least last time I was checking) it isn't very expensive either. The library is really weak though, so its not something you'd be playing all the time.

Hi,

who owns a game.com? i dont. I think without that crappy scrren and sound it would be a really good Handheld. What do you think about it?

I think without a screen & sound it would be impossible to play games on. Of course, this would not hurt the system any. The games are already unplayable.

• Like 2

The only redeeming qualities of the system include the sound capabilities, touch-screen, and puzzle/trivia games. The puzzle games work well with the touch screen interface and are generally fun to play if that's your sort of thing. Anything else is pretty bad for the most part. I was able to enjoy Duke Nukem for what it is, and Batman & Robin is playable (sort of), but the rest of the library consists of poor efforts. I think Tiger bit off more than they could chew for the kinds of games they wanted on it. Despite the bad screen, the platform could have benefit from better hardware. Games tend to run at a few frames a second and I don't think that's simply because of the ghosting on the screen.. The system simply can't handle what the developers were trying to throw at it, especially once the high-quality sound samples kicked in (generally games would slow down to a halt once the sound effects started playing).

To be honest, the system had potential. Neither of the units were particularly bad themselves: the battery life was long, the d-pad and buttons were okay, and again, the sound and touch screen capabilities were cool. Tiger also had the licenses! That was a big deal and is what made me interested in it when they were liquidating them back in the day (Fighter's Megamix? Mortal Kombat Trilogy? Resident Evil 2? Duke Nukem 3D? Williams Arcade Classics? SONIC JAM?!? Hell yes!).. Unfortunately, again, I think the system simply wasn't able to handle these games the way Tiger intended on implementing them, trying to make them as close to the console versions as possible. The problem is, I don't think the system would have even been able to handle severely cut-back versions of these games, ala Game Boy style, where ports from more advance systems to the handhelds, for the sake of hardware constraints, were turned into entirely different games altogether. Then again, maybe it could have? I think I heard that Tiger outsourced most (all?) of their developments to asian studios--maybe the people making games for it simply didn't know what they were doing? Regardless.. The system as it stands now certainly deserves the reputation it gets. Tiger messed up pretty bad with it.

From what I have read, it seemed the Game.com was a bit more powerful than the Game Boy, but the games were just poorly coded. I may be wrong about that.

The system did have a good version of Lights Out. Sort of.

I had one. I agree it was poor. I disagree that it was the the system's fault for the ways the games turned out (not that it's good hardware or anything). Most of Tiger's stand alone handhelds around that time were just as poor. Tiger had the licenses, but they basicially used the same mindset that they had for many of their handhelds. I don't feel they were out to make the games as close to the originals as possible (even their stand alone dot matrix games sucked). Indy 500 plays just like the LCD game and even uses the exact same turning. Centipede was decent, but not great. Quiz Wiz repeated questions too quickly and was bare bones. The fighting games for the system had similar limited movesets to their handheld versions.

does anyone a compleate game.com collection here at AA?

I've still got all my games for it. Not quite complete, about 12 of the 19 games all together including the internet connection cartridge. No I wasn't a great system. Graphics were definitely poor and game play was so-so. I got a lot of the games at the old Kay Bee Hobby when they were going out of business and at Wal-Mart on clearance. I know I've got the smaller versions, 2 of them, and the black version with the back light which is absolutely worthless in my opinion. Why did I get them? I like underdogs when it comes to game systems, what can I say.

Rich

I put together a small but interesting website about the game.com which showcases the ending sequences of several games, and features interviews with a couple of developers. Anyone curious about the system is sure to find it interesting...

The end of the game.com @ gcom.oldergames.com

The game screenshots on the website were taken using the official, software-based emulator / debugger, which is currently for sale along with the hardware portion of the kit.

Edited by Clean Larry

sure do:

gamecomcomplete.jpg

I also went online with the modem way back.

Batman, Lights Out and WoF were all pack-ins with the UK console, hence no box for those (You can see on the game.com box the carts for Lights Out and Batman as pack-ins, Batman wasn't ready upon release, so we got WoF instead, and Batman was shipped later for free to registered users).

Edited by high voltage

sure do:

gamecomcomplete.jpg

I also went online with the modem way back.

Batman, Lights Out and WoF were all pack-ins with the UK console, hence no box for those (You can see on the game.com box the carts for Lights Out and Batman as pack-ins, Batman wasn't ready upon release, so we got WoF instead, and Batman was shipped later for free to registered users).

nice collection -

do you have the pocket pro too?

Edited by raskar42

do you have the carry case? can you make a pic of the collection?

I'll have to locate it. I don't know if I still have the carrying case or not. I'll look tonight and see if I can find everything. Been awhile since I've played it.

Don't need the pocket.pro nor the light version.

Shame I never managed to find the carry case or link-up cables in UK.

Didn't take that long to collect game.com, most games were readily available in shops and later on ebay and goAtari. WoF 2 was my last game to find, that one was a bit difficult, other than that, no sweat.

There is actually a rare Indy 500, which was also released in the UK as a big box version, like the internet box. I've seen it at TrU once but never worried about it as I had that game already in the small box. Wish I'd picked it up now though.

Edited by high voltage

do you have the carry case? can you make a pic of the collection?

I'll have to locate it. I don't know if I still have the carrying case or not. I'll look tonight and see if I can find everything. Been awhile since I've played it.

Haven't had time to find it yet will try for tonight.