IGNORED

Go Atari Trying to Liquidate

bojay1997

I hope this doesn't end like the O'Shea liquidation... Weren't all of his 2600 and 7800 games melted down? I don't recall reading about anybody actually buying out his inventory.

Wow, that's what happened to O'Shea? When he was selling the games for $0.80 apiece, I made an offer to buy an absolute TON of them for like $0.50. He told me that I was crazy, and that he would make way more money selling them himself. Shortly thereafter, he raised his prices to like $2 / apiece. About a year later, I got an email offering to sell me a ton of the games for the "low price" of $1.50. I told him that I probably wasn't even interested at $0.50 cents anymore, as I didn't have the money nor space available.

When people decide their inventory is what it's worth, no matter what, sad things happen.

• Like 1

I hope this doesn't end like the O'Shea liquidation... Weren't all of his 2600 and 7800 games melted down? I don't recall reading about anybody actually buying out his inventory.

Wow, that's what happened to O'Shea? When he was selling the games for $0.80 apiece, I made an offer to buy an absolute TON of them for like $0.50. He told me that I was crazy, and that he would make way more money selling them himself. Shortly thereafter, he raised his prices to like $2 / apiece. About a year later, I got an email offering to sell me a ton of the games for the "low price" of $1.50. I told him that I probably wasn't even interested at $0.50 cents anymore, as I didn't have the money nor space available.

When people decide their inventory is what it's worth, no matter what, sad things happen.

Then he jacked them up to $5 each for several years. Eventually had had scrappers put in bids on it and sold it to the highest bidder. He kept about 20k around, but I am not sure what happened to those.

Then he jacked them up to $5 each for several years. Eventually had had scrappers put in bids on it and sold it to the highest bidder. He kept about 20k around, but I am not sure what happened to those.

Hunh -- is there really enough value in 2600 carts to sell them for scrap? I mean, I guess there was, because he did, but that surprises me!

Hunh -- is there really enough value in 2600 carts to sell them for scrap? I mean, I guess there was, because he did, but that surprises me!

Atari cartridges are very low-grade scrap, according to the people "in the business" that I've talked to. The gold flash that they used on the boards (particularly the Tramiel-era cartridges) was very skimpy, the ROMs would have to be incinerated and ground up to get any value out of them, and there's so much manual labor involved in opening and disassembling the cartridges that I can't imagine it would be worth the effort. Even the plastic wouldn't be worth much because of the labels. I suppose O'Shea figured that the 2600/7800 market had already absorbed as much of that merchandise as it could, but I think they could have gotten more money for them in the end if they had lowered their prices enough for homebrewers to scoop them up as donors (I scored a few hundred of their cartridges for that purpose, just before they sold them off). Perhaps they just wanted to get rid of them quickly.

As for GoAtari, I don't think Jaguar or Lynx cartridges would be any more valuable for scrap than 2600/7800 cartridges, if that's really what they're considering. I bought quite a few Jaguar titles from them years ago, but the Jag is nearly 20 years old now and I think they need to adjust their prices.

Discussed this over at Jaguar Sector. A thought just occurred to me reading this thread. It makes me sad to have realised it. What if he knows no one will pay that amount? What if he just wants to add evidence that that is the value of his stock? And what if, a month from now, a fire breaks out in his warehouse and tragically destroys all his safely insured stock?

Yep, I've decided that is the plan.

Discussed this over at Jaguar Sector. A thought just occurred to me reading this thread. It makes me sad to have realised it. What if he knows no one will pay that amount? What if he just wants to add evidence that that is the value of his stock? And what if, a month from now, a fire breaks out in his warehouse and tragically destroys all his safely insured stock?

lol, you really have been spending time at that forum (or should I say "the greatest community of Jaguar enthusiasts in the world" according to their grand highness).

I'm pretty sure accusing people of stuff like that is not good form. The guy just wants to sell off his old junk that's probably costing him money to have sitting there. No, he doesn't want 1/3m for it - that's a high-end retail value that clearly isn't too realistic, but he's a businessman and he's got stuff to shift.

• Like 1

^

It ends up looking fairly obvious to insurance investigators at that point. No sane individual would pull that stunt.

You may be the only one to suggest he is actually sane :D

I'm not suggesting that fire would be deliberate by the way. That would be arson.

Now on another topic- people STILL are able to pull off arson for insurance nowadays and get away with it.

Edited by danny_galaga

lol, you really have been spending time at that forum (or should I say "the greatest community of Jaguar enthusiasts in the world" according to their grand highness).

I'm pretty sure accusing people of stuff like that is not good form. The guy just wants to sell off his old junk that's probably costing him money to have sitting there. No, he doesn't want 1/3m for it - that's a high-end retail value that clearly isn't too realistic, but he's a businessman and he's got stuff to shift.

I haven't accused anyone of anything ;) You are right, he doesn't necessarily want $358,727.29 for it, he is asking for offers. But he wants to sell it in one bulk lot. This won't happen.

957 lynx adapters wow he better just call up HSC in santa clara for the adapters cause they are not worth the price of shipping

Even if the adapters were worth the retail price of $18 each, are there still even 957 people on the planet who want one? Will there even be that many potential customers in the next 10 years?

957 lynx adapters wow he better just call up HSC in santa clara for the adapters cause they are not worth the price of shipping

Even if the adapters were worth the retail price of $18 each, are there still even 957 people on the planet who want one? Will there even be that many potential customers in the next 10 years?

Absolutely not. Not even close.

• Like 1

i'll take one.

i'll take one.

How ironic, I was just thinking about how it was a shame since I only needed 956 of them.

• Like 2

I don't go to their site. What are these Lynx adapters. Comlynx, power, ac, dc? I'm sure they could be hacked up and used for something else. I love to hack up the battery packs and a Sega Genesis 2 power supply. The Genny2 supply has bolts that are easy to get in to. The Battery pack has two cords. You can swap it around and come out with a battery pack that works for Game Gear, and a Lynx AC that works two systems at the same time. Great fun.

AX

No, he doesn't want 1/3m for it - that's a high-end retail value that clearly isn't too realistic, but he's a businessman and he's got stuff to shift.

I guess you haven't dealt with him before then.

I think he really believes that there are people out there waiting to gobble this stuff up. I wrote him and asked for if he has a ballpark of what he wants for everything, as I have no want of wasting my time putting together financing and / or a shipping agent (as he states he will in no way help with shipping) if he wants some stupid amount for everything. I haven't heard back yet, but I doubt there are more than a half dozen people who would be seriously interested in this package (especially with the worthless Game.Com crap included), and I honestly don't envision anyone that is in the group of people that would buy it coming to a price that will make him happy.

I've made offers to buy wholesale stuff from him before, including stuff that I now see he has literally thousands of, and was turned down. I think it would be great to get this stuff, but in all honesty, a lot of this stuff is going to end up in the garbage, and I don't know if anyone will convince him of that. I think that it will probably sit and rot for a number of years until he decides to do a single auction for it, and when and if that happens will be the only time someone will get it for a decent price. Otherwise, don't expect that stuff to float into availability anytime soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An update that I just noticed today!

"COMMENT: I find it interesting that while reading the forums that most commentators assume that I am wanting

the listed retail value. Yes I would not mind selling at those prices, however I am open to all offers and expect

to settle for a much lower price. I am doing other things and I am in no hurry to sell, but on the other hand

I would like to move the inventory out of storage. Also with the Atari Brand being re-offered I would think

that the "goatari.com" URL would be of some value.

To answer another question most of the Inventory was purchased directly from Atari when they closed their doors."

While it is great to know that he is apparently willing to deal, I have not heard back from my inquiry regarding whether he will work with a shipping agent or for a ballpark of value so I can know whether it is worth pursuing meetings with banks so on. I in absolutely no way am going to write a letter to find out this information.

An update that I just noticed today!

"COMMENT: I find it interesting that while reading the forums that most commentators assume that I am wanting

the listed retail value. Yes I would not mind selling at those prices, however I am open to all offers and expect

to settle for a much lower price. I am doing other things and I am in no hurry to sell, but on the other hand

I would like to move the inventory out of storage. Also with the Atari Brand being re-offered I would think

that the "goatari.com" URL would be of some value.

To answer another question most of the Inventory was purchased directly from Atari when they closed their doors."

While it is great to know that he is apparently willing to deal, I have not heard back from my inquiry regarding whether he will work with a shipping agent or for a ballpark of value so I can know whether it is worth pursuing meetings with banks so on. I in absolutely no way am going to write a letter to find out this information.

I just don't think he understands how many bridges he has burned. Keep in mind that I placed an order with him six months ago, never got it and he never replied to multiple e-mails. Finally I had to do a Paypal chargeback to get a refund. Apparently, he thinks this is no big deal as he felt no concern about sending me an e-mail directing me to his website to make an offer on everything. Many people had horrible experiences with him when he was selling on Ebay and getting insulted when people were offering the current value of the items.

I don't think he understands the reality of both the Lynx and Jaguar market currently. The vast majority of the Lynx library can be purchased for $5 a game sealed mint from various vendors. Similarly, most Jaguar games can be purchased for $20 or less sealed/mint/shipped. Yes, there are some more valuable games, but he only has a few copies of each of them. He would literally have to drop most of his prices 70%-80% just to get down to current retail and that doesn't include the fact that the new purchaser will want a good wholesale price so they can make a solid margin given the shipping and storage costs for a lot of junk that will sit for years.

that is utter BS. I gave him an offer on an item on ebay for nearly 2 years ( i am pretty sure it was him...if not my apologies) he refused to lower the price

Well, to give him his due, making an offer on a single item back when he was retailing and making an offer on the whole inventory now are two very different things...

It's impossible for him to make a good business selling the whole inventory in a single sale. He can do that but he have to sell all for a very very low price. Try to sell stock of 4-5 items.. could be a better way... for ex. 5 lynx games.... 2 lynx unit....on ebay or asking an offer from his website.... but he is in another business and he has no time to do that.

Edited by Battlezone