IGNORED

Intellivision HSC thoughts/suggestions

I am actively looking for input on how to make the HSC a better experience for everyone. Any suggestion at the present time is fair game, from the types of games chosen, to time for each game, to the scoring method. Anything that will bring more interest, more action and more enjoyment for everyone involved is what I'm looking for out of this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Personally, for the most part I think it's just fine the way it is. The only two things that come to mind:

- The triple pack was a fun idea, but playing three games at once may have been a bit much for some folks. Ice Trek especially is so time-intensive, and I'm reluctant to try again for the 25k mark since it takes such a long time and gets so aggravating.

- We should be careful which difficulty levels we select for certain games. I think in retrospect we probably should've played Venture on difficulty #4, since #3 proved to be a little on the easy side. OTOH, we don't want to demoralize less experienced players, either.

I suppose you might ask Intellivision Productions if they'd be willing to post a link to the HSC, though I've heard they're a little unpredictable in their reactions (do I remember reading that they're somewhat anti-homebrew?). Since they distribute ROMs on a CD they sell, they shouldn't have a problem with folks using emulation.

Oh, and: bring on the Auto Racing! :D That'll be a fun one, since it's relatively low-commitment and we're all racing the same clock.

Edited by thegoldenband

- We should be careful which difficulty levels we select for certain games. I think in retrospect we probably should've played Venture on difficulty #4, since #3 proved to be a little on the easy side. OTOH, we don't want to demoralize less experienced players, either.

Have to agree. Burgertime on Medium/2 was painfully slow and i wanted to pull my hair out. lol

Edited by IntellivisionDude

Here's the latest update everyone...

I think you may not have posted this to the thread you intended, and you got mine and Zylon's Demon Attack scores switched. That's the kind of stuff I did all day today at work; total brain fart day. Maybe you need some sleep..... :sleep: :sleep:

Have to agree. Burgertime on Medium/2 was painfully slow and i wanted to pull my hair out. lol

I didnt get to play Burgertime in HSC 1 (joined right after) but I agree, any games should be at top skill level (aka disc) especially for titles like LNC/BurgerTime (especially since there is an onscreen notation to prove game was played at that level)

One thing that might help with the time factor would be score multipliers

(1x score on easy, 1.5x score on difficulty 2, or 2000 + score on difficulty 2 etc) then you could play slow or fast games but it would probably be tough to organize fair(ish) multipliers.

I was thinking it would be nice to keep a scoreboard somewhere with the highest score reached for each game too, then people who got addicted to the game during the contest could still try to beat it after it had passed (even though it wouldn't affect the contest scores of course)

I guess you also gotta keep in mind that the easier it is to organize the more likely it will stay around too though :)

I can see not wanting to discourage players of lesser skill (which could be anyone on certain games), but maybe it would be better to encourage the thing that would make them better - repetetive play. Maybe a +2 to someone who finishes in the bottom half of the list, but posts a score every day or something similar. I know I felt pretty pathetic on 2600 Stargate last week, but kept at it and got a pretty good score in the end.