Photo

Vectrex overlay reproductions

8 replies to this topic

#1 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Tue Jun 7, 2011 11:16 AM

does anybody make reproduction overlays for vectrex games? I would imagine with the demand someone would have done something by now, but I've never seen a thing.

#2 Richard H. OFFLINE  

Richard H.

Dragonstomper

• 932 posts
  • VecMulti Vectrex cart

Posted Tue Jun 7, 2011 12:37 PM

http://www.atariage...._1#entry2276766

#3 opeygon OFFLINE  

opeygon

Stargunner

• 1,225 posts
  • smoke me a kipper... i'll be back for breakfast

Posted Tue Jun 7, 2011 6:21 PM

Cool! Thanks Dick! This will come in handy :cool: I must have missed that thread back in April

#4 desiv OFFLINE  

desiv

Stargunner

• 1,639 posts

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2011 9:24 PM

Bringing this thread back a bit.. (Well, it's not THAT old)
Those repro overlays look awesome, but at almost $40 USD shipped for 2 overlays, that's a lot of money.
(Not saying it's not worth it, they look great and I'm sure are expensive to make and ship to the US.)
(Just looked and on that thread, its about $40 registered, but closer to $30 standard shipping.)

But it got me thinking...
I didn't get ANY overlays with my Vectrex. I printed out one for Minestorm (flimsy transparency sheet, but it works).
I know it's not the real thing, but I wasn't all that impressed..

I got the full version of the EXCELLENT homebrew Protector, which came with an overlay...
That makes the game kind of light purple... OK.. AWESOME game, but again it was just a general subtle color shading...

Then I saw the overlay for ArmorAttack on the web.. Wow.. That looks like it makes a difference to the game..
And the beautiful overlay for the homebrew Warrior, which also looks to seriously affect the game..

So, which overlays REALLY make a difference to Vectrex games??
I wouldn't mind hearing from people who use real overlays with their Vecs, as I have pretty limited exposure here..

Just wondering..

desiv

Edited by desiv, Sat Aug 6, 2011 9:30 PM.

#5 Seob OFFLINE  

Seob

River Patroller

• 2,171 posts

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2011 11:37 PM

I have made a transparent my self. After printing it, i spray painted the back with white paint to prevent light getting trough and then sealed it to give it more strength. Looks cool enough, and is better then no overlay.

#6 Seob OFFLINE  

Seob

River Patroller

• 2,171 posts

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2011 11:37 PM

I have made a transparent my self. After printing it, i spray painted the back with white paint to prevent light getting trough and then sealed it to give it more strength. Looks cool enough, and is better then no overlay.

#7 Desfeek OFFLINE  

Desfeek

Moonsweeper

• 328 posts

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:42 PM

Bringing this thread back a bit.. (Well, it's not THAT old)
Those repro overlays look awesome, but at almost $40 USD shipped for 2 overlays, that's a lot of money.
(Not saying it's not worth it, they look great and I'm sure are expensive to make and ship to the US.)
(Just looked and on that thread, its about $40 registered, but closer to $30 standard shipping.)

But it got me thinking...
I didn't get ANY overlays with my Vectrex. I printed out one for Minestorm (flimsy transparency sheet, but it works).
I know it's not the real thing, but I wasn't all that impressed..

I got the full version of the EXCELLENT homebrew Protector, which came with an overlay...
That makes the game kind of light purple... OK.. AWESOME game, but again it was just a general subtle color shading...

Then I saw the overlay for ArmorAttack on the web.. Wow.. That looks like it makes a difference to the game..
And the beautiful overlay for the homebrew Warrior, which also looks to seriously affect the game..

So, which overlays REALLY make a difference to Vectrex games??
I wouldn't mind hearing from people who use real overlays with their Vecs, as I have pretty limited exposure here..

Just wondering..

desiv

Hey desiv, cool to see there's another Vectrex lover as nearby as Salem!

To your first point, VecMad's Repro overlays are well worth their price. Pole Position is very difficult to find original, and the Minestorm overlay is a necessity for that game.

And to your second, the most useful overlays on Vectrex (imo) are:

Star Castle
Bedlam
Minestorm
Armor..Attack
Spinball
Ripoff
Starhawk
Star Trek
Web Wars

in that order. I only need Polar Rescue, and I can't fathom playing ANY game without it's overlay now that I have them.

Hope that answers your question. (If you ever want to sell Protector, you won't even have to ship it ;) )

#8 desiv OFFLINE  

desiv

Stargunner

• 1,639 posts

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:22 PM

Hey desiv, cool to see there's another Vectrex lover as nearby as Salem!

Yeah, and recycledgamer, who makes the Vectrex lightpens (waiting for mine..) is up by you also!!

and I can't fathom playing ANY game without it's overlay now that I have them.
Hope that answers your question. (If you ever want to sell Protector, you won't even have to ship it ;) )

I have to seriously consider the overlays...

Hmmm...

desiv
(I don't see myself selling my Protector.. Even tho I'm terrible at it.. ;-) )

Edited by desiv, Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:22 PM.

#9 omeganu OFFLINE  

omeganu

Star Raider

• 78 posts

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:18 PM

resurrecting an old thread...even tho I think most of you have seen the repros I've been making at http://www.vectrexoverlays.com

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users