IGNORED

MyIDE Experts

Goochman

Folks,

For those few who have gotten a MyIDE cart to work(simply because there are so few of them ;) ) I have a question:

I got a Rev3 MyIDE cart and am trying to connect it to my Quantum 1080AT Fireball HD. I can set the drive as a Master or Slave but for some reason the MyIDE cart doesnt recognize the drive. I get the following error with the scandisk.bas utility:

The Program Only Runs Under MyDOS

Interface not detected

Now,

Im not sure if it didnt find the MyIDE cart interface or the HD???

The LED light is not lite when I start up my 130XE -

Any hints or suggestions as to whats wrong? Could the IDE cable not be hooked up correctly(ie, does it go a certain direction)?

I think you have to run Fdisk first, and try to make a partition. If the program doesn't recognise a HD there, then there is something wrong. Have you made the cart by yourself ? I did make the internal version some time ago, and not all harddrives worked with it. Most Quantums did work.

Make sure you run the program from MyDos ( I assume you did)

Thelen

I'm not (yet) a myide owner, so I add a couple of suggestions to goochman about HDs:

Usually, IDE cable must be hooked to the HD connector with the red wire near the electric plug. I don't know how myide works, but if cable it's reversed, it could also 'hang' the cartridge so the led don't turn on (with PCs, certain mainboards don't start up if ide cable are reversed), and the software could tell you that "Interface not detected ".

Hope this help; I repeat that I wrote this thinking about "normal PCs"...

Few more details:

1. I am booting from teh Driver diskette which has MyDOS on it

2. The manual tells you to run scandisk first vs fdisk to test the interface

3. I bought one of the 'special' edition carts which had everything needed for external use

4. If I turn on the HD after the XE the LED in the cart lights while the HD it spooling up then goes off :(

I just dont know where to go/test from here!

I found out my cable is setup for connecting in a certain order (blue connector to motherboard(myide cart), end of cable connector goes to 'Master drive', middle grey connector goes to secondary or 'Slave' drive)

So I know I have the cable connected properly.

First you have to boot from the master disk which loads the my-ide driver

Master A for internal interfaces and Master B for external

It then asks for a boot disk and then you instert the "driver disk" with MyDOS on it!

The LED is a drive activity LED... just like on normal PC's it only lights up on read/write access.