IGNORED

Magnavox CD-i (CDI450)

Tried burning a few copies tonight of CD-i games, and still no luck. I've used three different burners and at least two different brands of media, so my assumption now is that it's the laser in my CD-i. It still reads original games, for which I'm thankful, but I wonder how much life it has left in it.

Of course, my assumption could be off entirely. I'm not the most tech savvy person . . . .

I'd pick up an old PC from Goodwill or Craigslist. Something circa 2000 should have a burner in it that will burn at sufficiently low speeds. Always handy to have a spare PC for this kind of stuff.

I'm pretty poor at the moment so this was out of the question for me and in fact not even an option anymore as I sold the CD-i to Austin earlier today. :P Maybe someday I'll come back to it and track down some of the Zelda titles. :P

Tried burning a few copies tonight of CD-i games, and still no luck. I've used three different burners and at least two different brands of media, so my assumption now is that it's the laser in my CD-i. It still reads original games, for which I'm thankful, but I wonder how much life it has left in it.

Of course, my assumption could be off entirely. I'm not the most tech savvy person . . . .

Sorry to hear your having no luck. :( Wish I could help but I couldn't figure it out either. lol

I have different model cd-i players, but i use my 450 most. Didn't have problems with burned games on it. I use Sony brand cd's. But i think it isn't the brand that may be the problem. Within the same brand and cd-r model there can be difference in the dye used. Here you can find more info on de-terming on what dye is used. http://www.cdr-info.de/index_cdrohlinge_e.php

I can't read the atip on my mac so i can't tell you what dye it has.

Just check the atip on my pc. Turns out that the disks are sony branded but the atip doesn't lead to a proper match in the database.

The atip code is 97m24s16f.

But this doesn't show up in the table.

Could very well be that your laser is getting bad.

Edited by Seob

• 3 years later...

Just a quick question. Does you're cd-i player skip or loop audio when playing games like the apprentice or lucky luke? Mine system did, just replaced the laser pickup unit today with a new one and now it doesn't skip or loop audio any more. Haven't tried bruned media yet.

Make sure u use clonecd if you are burning cd-i ready titles like the apprentice, lucky luke and other games, see link below.

Here is a guide on how to burn: http://cdii.blogspot.nl/2009/05/cd-i-burning-guide-back-up-your-cd-i.html

Edited by Seob

I think any issue with burned games has to do with how much life the laser has in it. I have the same model as the OP and a test copy I burned of Tetris which I already own does work and boot up most of the time, but sometimes it has incredibly long load times or struggles with loading the music tracks. Sometimes the music won't load till I'm almost through the level on the burned disc or the moving backgrounds will freeze up or skip while the Tetris action continues. On my original copy, none of these issues are present.

What are you using to burn? Never had an issue with CDi personally, make sure you are using CD-r's and try IMGBURN, the easiest burning software that just works and is free......http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Good luck.

OK first thing I was doing wrong is burning to CDRW's.

My CD- I doesn't skip media or audio it works perfectly and loads original discs up very fast as well as working well with audio CD's (it knows what type of disc you have put in immediately)

I was using disc juggler and express burn for mac.

Which files should I burn to CDR's? some people say you should burn the .cue files and some say the .iso files???

Thanks for the guide Seob if it was for me :) but I have tried to follow this guide and I just get lost I am also not a techy person.

Edited by max1227

OK first thing I was doing wrong is burning to CDRW's.

My CD- I doesn't skip media or audio it works perfectly and loads original discs up very fast as well as working well with audio CD's (it knows what type of disc you have put in immediately)

I was using disc juggler and express burn for mac.

Which files should I burn to CDR's? some people say you should burn the .cue files and some say the .iso files???

Thanks for the guide Seob if it was for me :) but I have tried to follow this guide and I just get lost I am also not a techy person.

Depending on where you get your games, they might be presented as bin with cue or just ISO. Typically ISO format doesn't even generate a cue file. Use a cue file if it is paired with a bin file as that tells the audio which tracks to go on. If you burn a bin file by itself and the cd uses separate tracks for audio, the audio might not load up during a game. That is usually something you need to worry about on Sega CD, Saturn or certain Playstation games. I don't think CDi games usually had audio tracks that play in a cd player off the disc itself. That is also why when I burn Playstation games, I don't use ISO. I use bin/cue to avoid that problem and having to bundle the image with separate audio files like mp3s or wavs. Bin/cue burns the audio tracks directly into the image instead of separate tracks.

Edited by TheGameCollector