IGNORED

Using .bin modules in MESS

KirkDCO

On the WHT site I found a zip file called mess_modules.zip that contains a very large collection of .bin files. I assume these are ROM dumps of various TI cartridges, but when I try to use them with mess (using for example, mess ti99_4a -cart1 cartnamec.bin -cart2 cartnamed.bin) I get an error from mess saying "no pcb found" I also found a large collection of rpk files on the WHT site that seem to work just fine. Doing a little digging around, I find that the .rpk files are just .zip files of the .bins and a couple of .xml files describing the structure of the cartridge. I did a couple of tests, and was able to build my own .rpk file for a couple of .bin modules but this is really a labor intensive process and I don't want to do that for all the .bin files in mess_modules.zip.

How do I get MESS to use the .bin files as they are?? I'm using MESS 0.142 on Fedora 15. This version of MESS came from a repository - I did not build it myself.

On the WHT site I found a zip file called mess_modules.zip that contains a very large collection of .bin files. I assume these are ROM dumps of various TI cartridges, but when I try to use them with mess (using for example, mess ti99_4a -cart1 cartnamec.bin -cart2 cartnamed.bin) I get an error from mess saying "no pcb found" I also found a large collection of rpk files on the WHT site that seem to work just fine. Doing a little digging around, I find that the .rpk files are just .zip files of the .bins and a couple of .xml files describing the structure of the cartridge. I did a couple of tests, and was able to build my own .rpk file for a couple of .bin modules but this is really a labor intensive process and I don't want to do that for all the .bin files in mess_modules.zip.

How do I get MESS to use the .bin files as they are?? I'm using MESS 0.142 on Fedora 15. This version of MESS came from a repository - I did not build it myself.

http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php/MESS_multicart_system

As far as I know, the direct support/recognition of bin files was removed with version 0.131, but apparently reappeared later. I'm using MESSUI 0.139 on Windows 7. This works fine for me with the bin files in the same directory:

mess ti99_4a -cart1 donkeyc.bin -cart2 donkeyd.bin

Sometimes 99er - interesting. That command line doesn't work for me. I get this:

mess ti99_4a -cart1 donkeyc.bin -cart2 donkeyd.bin

OPTIONAL pcode_r0.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL pcode_r1.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL pcode_g0.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL bwg.bin NOT FOUND

WARNING: the system might not run correctly.

Ignoring MAME exception: Error loading multicart: no pcb found.

Error loading multicart: no pcb found.

Tony Knerr - Thank you for the link. In looking through the rpks and the bins, the two lists have a long of non-overlapping groups. I find a number of .bins that have no relative .rpk. Beyond Parsec, Black Hole, Computer War, etc. I guess the answer would be for me to build these for myself if I find ones I want that are missing. Not such a bad option, I suppose.

Would you be willing to share the .rpk files that you create with the community? Having as full a set as possible in this format would be a valuable resource to the community, as the files could always be unpacked and put in a compatible format for use in the various other emulators available.

Tony

Here are mine: RPKs

Edited by lucien2

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for the slow reply. For some reason I had stopped getting message alerts and just happened to check on this thread today.

To answer the question, yes, I would be more than happy to share any RPKs that I build with the community. At this point, though, I haven't done anything. 8^(

And thank you,lucien, for your contribution!

Edited by KirkDCO

I have what was on the WHTech site, plus a lot more I added, including all the ROM ports, such as Arcturus, etc. (Sort by date to see what's new.)

rpk.zip

Caveat is that they all should be distributed freely, all copyrights belong with the authors, etc.

fredcarts-cf2k-dm2k-du2k.rpk

cf2k20-final.rpk

Miner.rpk

Espial.rpk

Killer.rpk

DU2K20-final.rpk

DM2K24-final.rpk

Arcturus.rpk

tiworkshop.rpk

tris2.rpk

spacepatrol.rpk

facechase.rpk