Photo

Star Raiders 2600 - RU a fan of this conversion?

27 replies to this topic

#26 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

Up! Down! Up! Down!

• 8,582 posts
  • Chu! Chu! Chu!

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:00 AM

I wanted to like it as a kid. I really tried, I thought the keypad controller was cool and I liked the "alone in the cold of space" vibe. Maybe it was too "realistic" in that way.

I agree Starmaster is more fun and IMHO better designed.

Solaris, which shares much of Star Raiders' DNA, is amazing even today.

#27 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 16,918 posts

Posted Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:20 AM

Used to play StarMaster and StarRaiders in our tents made out of blankets and cardboard. Cool deep space stuff.

#28 Sardonyx OFFLINE  

Sardonyx

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:45 AM

Used to play StarMaster and StarRaiders in our tents made out of blankets and cardboard. Cool deep space stuff.

Yes!  Saving the galaxy in your own private spaceship :)

Just for fun, I played around a bit tonight in Stella and figured out the memory locations for the target count.  I set the game to Skill Level 40 and after starting the game, reset the target count to 1.  I chased the Kylons all the way to the starbase and they never once engaged me.  But oh boy...after they destroyed the starbase...well it wasn't pretty.  That one lone fighter tore me new one.  Thinking it might be luck, I tried again.  Same thing.  The one remaining ship would not engage until after the starbase was destroyed, but then delivered an amazing butt whooping.  

I really want to see someone take on 40 of these ships and win at this level.  Every single torpedo hit either damages or destroys a ship system.  And they sling torpedoes like they just got a discount on them at the dollar store.  It would take an amazing amount of skill and luck to make it through this level.  Unless there's some trick to dodging every shot icon_biggrin.gif

If I get some free time I may try to walk through a disassembly of the ROM and figure out how it decides when enemy ships will appear and how much it models their location.   It definitely seems like they hide.  Also an interesting bit: watching the RAM for a few minutes, it seems a good bit of it's used just for tracking the little background star positions for the star field.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users