IGNORED

Duke Nukem PR firm says bad reviews = no more reviews

HammR25

Anyone who does think this game was worth the release and the price they ask is as delusional as they are. Anyone who is on the fence about getting it is in luck though because used copies will be inundating local game stores in no time and it is bound to be flooding the bargain bins.

I was willing to just nod and agree with you up until this point. At this point you pretty much show you wouldn't listen to anyone who does like the game for whatever reason they may have and as such it looks much more like you were going to hate this game no matter what they did - even if they did release it half-finished for free.

You are right however, it will be flooding bargain bins - the exact same way every other FPS game has this generation. It won't be a reflection of how good or bad it is. It'll be because it won't be memorable enough for people to want to keep it compared to the money/credit they'll get at Gamestop for trading it back within the first week of owning it to put towards the next generic FPS that gets released. That is why you will see it flood stores like Gamestop.

Personally I can't bring myself to buy any FPS game for full price (the 60 dollar mark). I own Halo 1-3 but have probably spent 40 dollars total between them. Tax included. I may still get this game if I see it used. And by used I mean -real- used prices. Not the 5 dollar off thing that Gamestop pretends is a fair price.

It's odd that an organization concerned entirely with public relations would act so unprofessionally. Unless this itself is just a carefully crafted PR stunt.

Yawn.. If a buddy of mine gets it and I play around with it, and I like it, I'll get it. Else, this is just another game out there. Rarely does a modern game nowadays stand the test of time. Rarely does a modern game nowadays capture my interest.

Marketing and reviews mean little to me. All you need to do is show me a game and I will decide whether I want to get it or not - regardless of what the reviewers say. The industry is too full of me-too's and cookie-cutter repetitive games.

@Hyper_Eye I did read your post, and I think we just disagree on a few key things. Its all good. I don't think of myself as delusional but I'm not unhappy with this game having spent the $100+ on the BOS edition. Then again they say crazy people never really know they are crazy so I could be delusional. That would explain why my wife looks at me like she does sometimes if nothing else does. :D

@Keatah There are games that will stand the test of time. The CODs and Halos of the world aren't really on that list, but I expect the Elder Scrolls games most certainly will, the Fallout games will, the Batman games more then likely will, and games like Borderlands and Trails HD will have cult followings forever IMO. I'm sure this Duke game wont be remembered and liked as well of DN3D is, but then again a lot of that is just the power of childhood memories. I can say that Duke Nukem Forever will be a happy edition to my collection for years to come. It will never be the best game I own, but I'll never regret owning and playing it either.

On a side note I just got a NIB copy of DN3D Atomic edition at a yard sale for a buck. Pretty interesting to run across such a thing anymore in my experience. May never be worth anything, but its cool.

I was willing to just nod and agree with you up until this point. At this point you pretty much show you wouldn't listen to anyone who does like the game for whatever reason they may have and as such it looks much more like you were going to hate this game no matter what they did - even if they did release it half-finished for free.

If this was what they were going to release I would have hated it no matter what unless it were released for free. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. But I wasn't given a gift. I paid $100 for something that isn't much more interesting than the piece of turd you can scoop out of the toilet at the beginning of the game. Again, I have been anticipating this game as long as any other Duke fan. I preordered the moment the BOS version was available to be preordered on Amazon. I was excited leading up to its release. My wife clearly remembers all the Duke quotes coming from me the week leading up to the release day. When it came out I put all other games on me queue on the backburner including the very enjoyable Dead Space that I'm a little over halfway through and Fallout 3. Duke gets priority over everything else (except work which I did have to finish before popping it in.) Even as the games terrible flaws presented themselves one after the other I rationalized to myself why it was still completely badass. But the glitches are so annoying. I opened a door, turned around because I saw a tripmine, and while grabbing it the door closed. I tried to open the door again but it was locked and I couldn't move forward. So I had to sit through another ridiculously long load to go back to the previous checkpoint. The point where I gave up trying to convince myself that I liked the game was when I realized I was hoping for the next area to be a shorter one because I am so bored while playing it. If the game had been a good game with a classic feel I would have been happy with it. If the game had been a good game with a modern feel I would have been happy about it. But the first requirement will always be that it is a good game. This one just isn't. If the main character wasn't Duke Nukem nobody would buy and play this game. People would barely know it exists.

Now for a couple of things I DO like about the game. I love the devastator. It is still one of my favorite FPS weapons. The railgun is also a very effective weapon. I like their take on the pig cops. Those things will run your ass down, they are built, and they hit hard. I also like pipebombs except that the whole game freezes for a second before they explode. So there are some small elements that I like. Mostly they are things you can find in DN3D where they combined with all the other things that were awesome to make one of the best games ever. That is a lot to live up to for sure. Too bad this game spent so much time celebrating how good that game was while forgetting to become a good game itself.

I'm personally very happy to be able to play the game at all. If this was released as a PS2 title right now no one would think twice about it. The fact that this game in one the 360 and PS3 is changing the view of the game.

It seems like the fact that is was release for the 360 and PS3 has changed what people think about this game.

BWAAHAHAAH!!! What-you-smokin'boy?? Gimmee gimmmee! It don't matter what platform it is on. It still sUXerZ royale!

Now, all that aside. I would much rather play the original 3DRealms version via DOSBOX or original PC hardware. NOT because of gaming nostalgia or emulation coolness or shit like that. The original Duke3D had replay value, it was fast, and working and progressing through the game was a good experience. The menu system worked great and is instantaneous.

I believe that the best "Duke Experience" can be had by brushing up on the original game and then getting a bunch of add-ons and levels and things like that. There are graphics packages, level packs, mods, all sorts of things. You can Build your own experience too. No pun intended. Some things are good just as they are.

And now the publishers are trying to manipulate who says what in their reviews?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2011/06/duke-nukem-forever-review-barely-playable-unfunny-and-rampantly-offensive.ars

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/06/duke-nukems-pr-threatens-to-punish-sites-that-run-negative-reviews.ars

I also don't recall all this "game-playing" and "backstabbing" in the early days of Duke 3D though.

Call me a fanboy, but I f'in love this game. It lives up (to me) as a great sequel and sucessor to DN3D. Everything about this game screams Duke Nukem, the ludeness, the nudity, the attitude. I think graphics, levels, sound, music, gameplay is right on the money for what they wanted to do.

• Like 3

What I find interesting is that so many people are on both sides of the fence regarding this game. Some love it, some hate it.

Agreed. I was just trying explain why reviewers crapped all over the game. I did not expect everyone to get bent out of shape and start crying. I'm pretty convinced that HatefulGravy lost sleep over this thread.

As for my personal opinion: Whatever. I shot stuff, and it blew up. I liked it better than Homefront or Bulletstorm, but not as much as Red River or LA Noir. But, what are you gonna do? "Forever" fits on a box much better than "For a little while".

Call me a fanboy, but I f'in love this game. It lives up (to me) as a great sequel and sucessor to DN3D. Everything about this game screams Duke Nukem, the ludeness, the nudity, the attitude. I think graphics, levels, sound, music, gameplay is right on the money for what they wanted to do.

Someone who gets it. As far as graphics go, Im convinced the haters are playing on a 19 inch with av cables.

This just in, they have started programming Duke Nukem: Call of Halo. It will be a first person shooter with weapon load-outs, power armor, and the graphics will be 50% shinny purple crap and 50% dusty half blown up crap. This game is sure to be a hit with the exact same people that rush to the stores to buy all the other run of the mill FPS games and that is really what every gamer wants, uniformity. :roll:

Why play anything else? Why not just buy what has the newest graphics and the newest engine, and the newest FPS styling?

Other games that play "on rails" as I have heard this game described include every FPS game I have ever played. COD, Halo, Resistance, Crysis... they are all the same. You have to get from point A to point B, there are bad guys on the way and there will be a large area with some cover and a few weapon pickups to fight said bad guys in. When you get to point B there will probably be a cut scene, maybe some new weapon you haven't seen before, and then you will need to progress to point C, on the way there will be bad guys, and this time you get to drive something. Maybe a tank, or a chopper, or a jeep...

I'm still standing by, and will keep saying, this game was not made for the 360 and PS3, you can't expect 360 and PS3 style gaming. I wanted that, I was hopeful that I would get that, but I never expected that.

I'm starting to wish this game had just stayed a pipe dream never to come true. At least then people would just be complaining that it was never going to happen instead of picking it a part. There were tons of people that would have been happy to play a game that looked and played like DN3D up to the point that this game was release. Now everyone is acting like DNF is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

personally if they re-released doom with absolutely unchanged gameplay but with updated textures, i'd run to the store to buy it after i finished creaming myself.

i dont think its a matter of "modern" shooter fans not liking it. i enjoy wolfenstein and doom just as much as i do halo. its just that this game seems to combine the worst attributes of both old and new school. if this played like call of duty, i would be happy. if it played like serious sam, i would be happy. its the weird bastardization of both in dnf thats throwing me off. the game is schizophrenic. i think people would have been pleased if it chose an identity and did it well, whichever side it fell on.

there are flashes of genius (like the duke burger level) but its cancelled out by the totally unpolished feeling in other parts.

i think i'll end up buying it when it hits $30 or so. but as it stands as a $60 title, no effing way. i'm enjoying it just enough to at least want to own it.

I don't actually hate the game. It is what it is. I don't think it's worth $60, regardless of the system it is on, that's all. Being a retro-gamer at heart, I just don't like the style a lot of the newer games are exhibiting these days. I don't like or dislike the Duke style, as a matter of fact, bring it on more. But let's see some good level design and more complexity here.

Modern-day games don't make me go "WOW!! Will'ya Lookitthat! Get a load of this!!" Or, "Hey buddy check this out! Come'mere ya'jusgotta see this!" In fact, I am more impressed with freeware and shareware games and other programs done by smaller production houses than I am with the latest big-name ps3 or 360 craze. I'm not talking those stupid flash games or 1.95 iPhone appz or shit like that. Those are just fodder and filler material. I'm talking things like x-plane and orbiter and stellarium and emulators and other non-mainstream trash.

Yeh, there was a time when game companies would make us consumers and users look forward to a new release or some new kind of game. Today everything is a rehash. Too much commercialization.

The first versions of DN3D felt like a labor of love, as did Doom and Quake and Descent, and some other games of the era. Today that is not so.

I think it's a great game. I've played DN3D from a kid all the way up to now. DNF is just what I expected. I think that the graphics are amazing, the game play is fun, and I have yet to come across one glitch. The only complaint that I have is only being able to carry 2 guns. If I had to make the choice again then I would gladly fork over $60 for it. For those of you that had it pre-ordered then that means that you had access to the demo and could have easily cancelled your pre-order once you got to play the game.

What I find interesting is that so many people are on both sides of the fence regarding this game. Some love it, some hate it.

Agreed. I was just trying explain why reviewers crapped all over the game. I did not expect everyone to get bent out of shape and start crying. I'm pretty convinced that HatefulGravy lost sleep over this thread.

As for my personal opinion: Whatever. I shot stuff, and it blew up. I liked it better than Homefront or Bulletstorm, but not as much as Red River or LA Noir. But, what are you gonna do? "Forever" fits on a box much better than "For a little while".

Oh don't worry, I have lost no sleep over this thread, or anything video gaming for that matter, in a long time. Though I do miss staying up till 4am to playing a video games.

I wouldn't call myself bent out of shape nor do I think of myself as crying over this thing either. I just think someone needs to voice the opinion that the game isn't shit. That is really all there is to it. If anything I'm a little bothered that this forum, with its average member being a bit older then other gaming forums on the internet, can't seem to get around graphical things sometimes. That's what started me on my path to defend the Duke (at least a little, I can't defend this thing completely).

Anyway, nah, I sleep well, its all good.

• Like 1

So I finished the game. I found that the second half of the game was a lot better than the first half. It wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad. Pretty much everything after the strip club is better than everything before it. There were still some moments of frustration and there were still glitches to be found. The pace improves, the maps open up quite a bit, and some of the better weapons become available. The ending was alright. Nothing epic. I got all the achievements I really wanted. If I were to go back for anything it might be to find the final helmet which I looked for but apparently missed. Otherwise I don't think this is a game I will ever find myself in the mood to just pop in for a bit. Duke3D will continue to be that game. One thing that Ars Technica definitely got wrong in their review was where they said there were no strippers in the strip club. They must have rushed through as fast as they could because you only have to walk around the stage for a few seconds for them to announce the stripper. Plus, the waitresses are barely not strippers and the whole segment ends with a lap dance. What was that reviewer smoking?

• Like 1

One thing that Ars Technica definitely got wrong in their review was where they said there were no strippers in the strip club. They must have rushed through as fast as they could because you only have to walk around the stage for a few seconds for them to announce the stripper. Plus, the waitresses are barely not strippers and the whole segment ends with a lap dance. What was that reviewer smoking?

Probably couldn't write up a bashing fast enough if they bothered to look.

My favorite line from the Arse review - 'It all feels like something out of a game from 15 years ago'

I've noticed that even for games that get dumped on, some outlets will try and say at least something positive. Perhaps identifying an audience that could overlook its (massive) flaws. This is probably the compromise that I would make in that place, myself, and seems to be the direction many are taking on the game in question.

After some more research into the game's content choices, I now understand why the game was unloaded upon, and I doubt that I would have bothered with any of the restraint that I've seen in some reviews.

Anyone who does think this game was worth the release and the price they ask is as delusional as they are. Anyone who is on the fence about getting it is in luck though because used copies will be inundating local game stores in no time and it is bound to be flooding the bargain bins.

I can't wait. I'll get it when it hits $5 like Rogue Warrior did. That was an awesome $5 game.

• Like 1

Well, some of them played Duke Nukem 3D when it was new & remember the game's atmosphere & play style.

Others just experienced DN3D through soundboards & screenshots and think "Hey, this is like that one game with the strippers!"

C'mon. There's not even a kick button, it's got halo-style melee attacks. A 14 year old could come up with a more authentic Duke Nukem mod for Unreal Tournament.

Well, some of them played Duke Nukem 3D when it was new & remember the game's atmosphere & play style.

I am one of those people as well..

I recently picked up the Aliens Vs Predator Hunter Edition new (retail $99.99) for around $27.I have a feeling this game will see a similar price on the BOS edition eventually.

Where did you find that? I will have to keep my eyes peeled...

Where did you find that? I will have to keep my eyes peeled...

It was on Amazon for that price a few weeks back.

I posted it in the deals thread. They still sell it pretty cheap. Right now it's going for $38.93

I've not finished the game, but what I can say is it's awesome IMO. Yes the graphics are a little fuggly, but so far, I'm loving the game over all. I've played a lot of games I like less (including most of the modern crap out there,call of duty and the such) This is better than the homage to Duke Nukem that Serious Sam and Bullet storm were, and honestly, it feels like the same old great game of yesteryear to me.

I plan to pick up the Duke game on the 3DS too when it comes out later. I know it's 2D isntead of 3D, but that sould be cool for a changeup.

I can't wait. I'll get it when it hits $5 like Rogue Warrior did. That was an awesome $5 game.

at one point i owned rogue warrior. it was $6 from gamefly and i had a $5 off coupon so it cost me a buck. its generic as hell but its hardly a truly terrible game. its a decent game if ya find it cheap.