Temple of Apshai Trilogy Maps

131 replies to this topic

#126 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,593 posts

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:22 PM

Thanks to the BASIC source code and plain-text level data, I am now quite sure there is no Treasure 10 and no Rooms 36 and 37.

I love that "icetique" has spent time examining this game's BASIC code.  It's worth remembering that Curse of Ra started out on the TRS-80.  I wonder if any version of the this game has the two missing rooms and treasure 10?

I just examined the Atari ATX disk version of The Temple of Apshai Trilogy in a hex editor and searched for the word "ruby."  Treasure 10 is certainly in the game's code (as data, I guess).  Treasure 10, along with the other treasures from level 4 of Curse of Ra are all listed together.  In this list, the crystal is called a "LARGE RUBY," which is what the treasure's description calls the crystal.  Is this term in the BASIC code of the game.  Is that information useful?

Adam

#127 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,593 posts

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 PM

I realize that these forums are Atari forums, but the game is the cross-platform mystery, let's use everything we have to find or deny the existence of these rooms and treasure.

Posting the information about any other non-Atari releases of the Dunjonquest games makes sense here because this game was on so many different platforms.  It makes even more sense when you consider that my earliest map postings were all maps based on the Commodore 64 version of the game.

#128 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,593 posts

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:34 PM

I just realized that the original Temple of Apshai for DOS is written in basic, so I may be able to see what's going on in the code. So maybe this will be easier.

In September of 2014, in this thread, I created a separate posting called "Temple of Apshai - Read Files from ATX Disk Image."  Here is a direct link to the announcement of the post in this thread:

http://atariage.com/...-3#entry3082180

Here us a link to the ATX image thread, which contains BASIC listings of the Atari version of the game:

http://atariage.com/...atx-disk-image/

I really need to post my information about level 4 of the game, but my wrists have been hurting lately when I type and use the mouse.  I got a ergonomic keyboard yesterday and I'm testing it out for the first time today.  If all goes well, then maybe I'll post soon.

Adam

#129 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,593 posts

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:45 PM

but can you teleport in some way?

You can't technically teleport in the three games that make up the Temple of Apshai Trilogy... but, you can end up in different rooms in unexpected ways.  I think this is a sort of invisible-to-the-player kind of teleportation.  A great example of this is in Merlis' Cottage, which is level 2 of the Upper Reaches of Apshai.  Mapping that level wasn't hard, but creating a readable, usable map of that level was time consuming, even bordering on difficult.  You can see my not-quite-satisfyable-to-me results here:

http://atariage.com/...-2#entry3033108

Maybe the magical cottage holds a hint to where Rooms 36 and 37 were supposed to be in Curse of Ra's fourth level?

Adam

#130 icetique OFFLINE  

icetique

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 PM

I just examined the Atari ATX disk version of The Temple of Apshai Trilogy in a hex editor and searched for the word "ruby."  Treasure 10 is certainly in the game's code (as data, I guess).  Treasure 10, along with the other treasures from level 4 of Curse of Ra are all listed together.  In this list, the crystal is called a "LARGE RUBY," which is what the treasure's description calls the crystal.  Is this term in the BASIC code of the game.  Is that information useful? 

I don't see any treasure names in the DOS game data (not trilogy). BASIC do not contain any treasure names neither do LVL and SHP files. If you are able to get LEVEL and BASIC files from Atari's Curse of Ra I can check there also, but Trilogy is impossible to check without debugging I think.

#131 icetique OFFLINE  

icetique

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 PM

Maybe the magical cottage holds a hint to where Rooms 36 and 37 were supposed to be in Curse of Ra's fourth level?

Here is the data from magical cottage. It seems that everything is present. However please notice that nonexistent room 41 has "teleport" to non existent room 32, but this is probably a bug (dev leftovers).

https://nayee.net/data2.php

Edited by icetique, Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:12 PM.

#132 icetique OFFLINE  

icetique

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:12 AM

I removed my maps and scripts from the server. For anyone interested and for preservation, I included them in the ZIP file attached to this post (you can also find the script that reads all the variables from the files, so you can examine them by yourself). Meanwhile you can wait for ballyalley to complete his thread. I am probably moving to Zork series, though I will probably wait for Morloc's Tower to appear. I was able to run it on Atari emulator, but it's not working properly (as ballyalley mentioned in the Morloc's Tower thread).

Attached Files

Edited by icetique, Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:13 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users