IGNORED

How many different versions are there of the original joystick?

stringfellow

While digging through my joysticks I realized that there were at least a couple versions of the 2600 joystick. One pair I have doesn't have the Atari logo on the plug and got me wondering if it was a knock off. Anyway I was wondering how many versions of the classic stick there are and how to tell the difference.

What's on the plug?

CX-10s, CX-40s, and Vaders.

The CX-10s have the orange ring around the stick but doesn't say,"TOP", the base of the stick doesn't have a black ring holding it down, and inside it has springs.

The CX-40s have the orange ring around the stick that does say,"TOP", the base of the stick does have a black ring holding it down, and inside there are no springs.

The Vaders are just like the CX-40s but the orange ring is black.

• Like 1

What's on the plug?

The CX-10s have the orange ring around the stick but doesn't say,"TOP", the base of the stick doesn't have a black ring holding it down, and inside it has springs.

The CX-40s have the orange ring around the stick that does say,"TOP", the base of the stick does have a black ring holding it down, and inside there are no springs.

What's the one that was used in the later Atari's, say, from 1981 to 1984? Mine dated from that period.

What's on the plug?

What's the one that was used in the later Atari's, say, from 1981 to 1984? Mine dated from that period.

Heavy Sixer = CX-10s, All the other VCSs = CX-40s, The 2600 "Vader" = Vaders, and Junior = Vaders but outside of North America they sold with the 7800 Joypad.

What's on the plug?

That just about says it all. ;)

Are you counting the Flashback systems? I don't have one, but I believe they may have a different (newer) stick.

They do. The stick part is made of plastic (not rubber coated) and screws in place. They don't feel the same as the "classic" joystick and you can break the stick right off if you get carried away. Still, it's nice to have a new joystick.

Are you counting the Flashback systems? I don't have one, but I believe they may have a different (newer) stick.

They do. The stick part is made of plastic (not rubber coated) and screws in place. They don't feel the same as the "classic" joystick and you can break the stick right off if you get carried away. Still, it's nice to have a new joystick.

I'd like to defend the FlashBack joysticks. I find them 99.99999% similar to the original joysticks for control and response. And I was forever breaking the plastic inserts in my original joysticks back in the day, but the FlashBack joysticks are way more durable.

Just my opinion.

The plugs on the joysticks that prompted this have nothing written on them. The other set I have has the Atari logo.

All my CX-10s have the Atari logo. All my CX-40s and Vaders have the Atari logo and Taiwan. I don't know if this is universal. If it is then it still doesn't mean you don't have an actual Atari joystick because it might not be it's original cord. Please compare this stick to your others as best as you can and if possible pictures would be helpful.

• 1 month later...

The joystick in question wasn't made by Atari. It's just a generic third-party joystick, almost definitely made in the early '80s, judging by the stick; it's the exact same stick as those found on Gemstick and Ace joysticks. (Also, Taiwan is virtually never labeled as "R.O.C." on manufactured goods anymore.) But if it works well, no harm, no foul!

The only Atari controllers I've ever seen that didn't have "Atari" embossed on the plug were a pair of Keyboard Controllers with a completely different plug type marked "AMP" or something (I forget offhand).

:)

Edited by BassGuitari

I bought a nice 2600 woody 4 switch yesterday and it has joysticks with orange dots.

If i recall correct, the vader did release with cx-40 sticks here in Europe. The junior came with proline joysticks. I can't recall seeing the 7800 joypads being release with the junior. All juniors i have seen for sale recent years come with the proline sticks.

post-5654-0-25147700-1312805576_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seob

I bought a nice 2600 woody 4 switch yesterday and it has joysticks with orange dots.

If i recall correct, the vader did release with cx-40 sticks here in Europe. The junior came with proline joysticks. I can't recall seeing the 7800 joypads being release with the junior. All juniors i have seen for sale recent years come with the proline sticks.

34%20Atari%202600%20Jr.jpg

As requested here is what the inside looks like. Also the knock offs feel looser than the originals.

post-27464-0-07321800-1312814680_thumb.jpg ]

post-27464-0-17631400-1312814689_thumb.jpg

Yep, that looks a great deal like the insides of my GemStick.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/185024-atari-cx10-vs-cx40-vs-slik-stik-vs-gemstick-my-review

As you see, I found the GemStick to be rather loose also.

During its lifespan, the junior was sold in Europe with prolines, cx40 and joypads.

post-10599-0-87925900-1312822823_thumb.jpg post-10599-0-77807000-1312822835_thumb.jpg

post-10599-0-44168900-1312822848_thumb.jpg post-10599-0-10164400-1312822866_thumb.jpg

post-10599-0-75881800-1312822881_thumb.jpg post-10599-0-27639000-1312822910_thumb.jpg

post-10599-0-85770800-1312822933_thumb.jpg post-10599-0-75174200-1312822953_thumb.jpg

• Like 1