IGNORED

600XL 64k upgrade pictures?

Animan

Nice video, but the 4464's are 150, not 15ns...

And show the resistor, the resistor has to be pulled out from the hole...

sloopy.

Hey sloopy,

The 15ns thing was a slip of the tongue, but I covered for it in the videos description specifying what chip is needed. I realized that I didn't show the resistor very well while I was editing the video two days later. I told myself the same thing, "I should of shown that resistor better". :)

Also I think I figured out what pin 8 of U16 is used for in the circuit after filming. I believe it controls the Column Address Strobe (CAS) of the 4464's. Pulling R36 up and attaching pin 8 of U16 allows the memory to access more columns without requiring the presence of A14 and A15 through U15c's Gate, thus being able to read all 64k. But I could be wrong. Does that seem correct? I'm far from being an engineer.

Linuxfanman

Edited by linuxfanman
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I've done this mod to a Rev A 600XL without issue, but I have two Rev B boards which simply refuse to boot after this mod is done. I thought the first Rev B failure was a one-off, but now I've encountered a second which won't work. The latest one jumps straight into the memory test if option is held down, otherwise it just hangs. The same RAMs work in a Rev A board, and the RAMs from the Rev A board still result in a hanging Rev B machine. I'm pretty much at a loss...

FJC, I dont rem how the video shows the mod, I know the how-to i posted has worked in every machine I have put it in, and that is 20+ of them...

Well, my first port of call is always human error (heh), so I've qaudruple-checked to make sure I've done the same mods to all the machines. I have no doubts about the accuracy of your how-to instructions, and if the same mod works on 20 plus machines, we can assume a good proportion of them had Rev B boards, so that means I've ballsed up somewhere or I have two duff Rev B boards. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a clue or can sell me these chips... I spent 39.00 on d4464c-15l and they are too big.

I followed the vid and had everything ready and got to the motherboard and said Crap..oh well maybe in feb have this thing up and running 64k...:(

Edited by Jinks

Anyone have a clue or can sell me these chips... I spent 39.00 on d4464c-15l and they are too big.

I followed the vid and had everything ready and got to the motherboard and said Crap..oh well maybe in feb have this thing up and running 64k... :(

What you purchased are 8k-byte static RAM chips, what you need are 64k x 4 bit (18 pin) Dynamic RAM chips like the ones in the link below:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2610784818091?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=261078481809&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Hell those are cheap!!! They are the right ones?? For sure??

Does ne one need these pricey chips I bought they will go in garbage..

Too bad I didnt know this before and thanks for the link!! I will order a couple and try AGAIN!!

Edited by Jinks

Hell those are cheap!!! They are the right ones?? For sure??

Does ne one need these pricey chips I bought they will go in garbage..

Too bad I didnt know this before and thanks for the link!! I will order a couple and try AGAIN!!

They are slightly faster than the stock chips, 100ns vs 150ns, but I believe they should work just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this drawing for my kit...

http://morethangames.../adv-ek0042.htm

Your link is dead.

I was thinking of buying an XL model for the top cart slot and was leaning towards the 800XL because it has 64K.

But if the upgrade is that easy and the 600XL is smaller I might go for it.

I went for the 600XL and got a RAM 320XL PBI memory upgrade from ctirad

Edited by Defender II

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this photo above to help you somehow. If you bend the pins carefully not broken.

You need 2 x 74LS158? I have plenty on store here, and I can send you. With simple post will take about 8-10 days to arrive to you.

IMG 7986 1600

IMG 7987 1600

Edited by santosp

• 6 months later...

Just performed the KEN SUMRALL 64k RAM mod on a PAL 600XL. ;)

But I used the lower connection points on mine like the other mod.

HOW TO UPGRADE YOUR ATARI 600XL TO 64K RAM
THIS MOD IS COPYRIGHTED BY KEN SUMRALL. HOWEVER, YOU MAY FREELY
DISTRIBUTE IT, AND MODIFY IT, AS LONG AS THIS NOTICE IS INCLUDED
IN ITS ENTIRERTY. THE AUTHOR MAY BE REACHED AT THE FOLLOWING
EMAIL ADDRESSES:
ken%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpda!ken
You will need the follow parts to perform this mod:
(2) 4464 RAM chip, 64Kx4, 150ns or faster.
Additionally, you will need chip pullers, a soldering iron, and 3 small
pieces of wire. I used wire wrap wire when I did this mod.
If the chips on your 600XL are socketed, you're in luck, otherwise, you need to
first unsolder the following chips:
(1) 74S32 location U18
(2) 74LS158 locations U5 and U6
(2) 4416 locations U11 and U12
and put sockets on the mother board in their place to make the job easier.
Now bend up pin 9 on the 74S32, and put it back in its socket on
the mother board. Bend up pin 3 on the 74LS158 in location U5, and put it
back in its socket. Also, bend up pin 10 on the 74LS158 in location U6,
and put that chip back into its socket. The last two chips you need to
change are the two RAM chips. Put the 4464 chips into the sockets at
locations U11 and U12 on the motherboard.
Now you need to install 3 wires to complete the mod. The first wire should
be connected between pin 3 of the 74LS158 at location U5, and pin 20
of the parallel bus on the 600XL. The second wire should be connected between
pin 10 of the 74LS158 at location U6, and pin 18 of the parallel bus.
The third wire connects between pin 9 of the 74S32 at location U18, and
pin 45 on the parallel bus. That's all there is to it.
Edited by tjlazer

I've upgraded my 600XL about 6 months ago (according to my own post a few msgs back) and never had a chance to ask this question. What I noticed after the upgrade that my 600XL needs quite a few seconds between ON-OFF cycles. If I turn it OFF and turn it back ON immediately most of the times it simply drops immediately back to the BASIC screen instead of cold starting. My suspicion is that the RAM is not properly cleared if the OFF time is too short. Is this something you guys also noticed after the upgrade or is it just my machine? Is there a way to fix that?

Edited by atari8warez

It is probably the case since this is how the 800XL with a 256K Rambo reacts if it isn't allowed to set a few moments after powering off. I would assume that since it is a set of 64x4 chips, they will take longer to clear than the 64x1 chips in a stock 800XL.

I've upgraded my 600XL about 6 months ago (according to my own post a few msgs back) and never had a chance to ask this question. What I noticed after the upgrade that my 600XL needs quite a few seconds between ON-OFF cycles. If I turn it OFF and turn it back ON immediately most of the times it simply drops immediately back to the BASIC screen instead of cold starting. My suspicion is that the RAM is not properly cleared if the OFF time is too short. Is this something you guys also noticed after the upgrade or is it just my machine? Is there a way to fix that?

• 7 months later...

Well it didn't work the first attempt.

I completed the MOD and got a BLACK SCREEN

it turns out and I was sure that it might be the problem I destroyed the memory chips that I removed from a XEGS board.

Thank god that I buy spare chips.. I always buy extra chips and I had a different project with extra chips..

SO the memory chips that I bought from JAMECO and the extra controller chips and VOILLA!!

Works good last a long time!!

Douglas

• 9 months later...

not so long time...

turns out i had one unit that developed really bad video, so i moved the upgrade over to another unit..

worked good for about three boots

black screen

i am running out of 600xl machines!

this mod cant be that devestating as everyone seems to be able to do it.

i cant tell if its the delay line or the memory chips?!

i have two good 16k units and i am not wanting to kill another unit to determine why one of the upgraded units failed.

whats causing theses black screens after mods?