IGNORED

SIDE next HDD for Atari 8 bit preorder

zaxon

I did notice a slight corruption in the video display on the SIDE loader. I'm getting heart symbols after the first couple three letters. This is the line directly under the SIDE letters. Is this normal?

There should be no corruption in the directory entries. It seems similar to the signal instability problems I had after installing the Ultimate1Mb in my 800XL. Then with SIDE I got often no directory listing at all and if I got a directory listing it only displayed the first few entries with corrupted names (with heart symbol). It seems your Atari plays not well with the SIDE/CF combination :s

Robert

Strange, I have the U1MB installed in a 800xl and a 130xe and my SIDE plays well with both...

Jay

Some update: I am using Transcend 2gb 80x. It was unpartioned and after partioning the corruption seems to have gone away. One other thing I learned. I was using a stock 800xl. When I tried to use fdisk I was giving the out of memory error. Stuck it in 256k 800XL, works no problem. Seems I read somewhere where SDX liked a lot of memory but I'd forgotten. :(

A question. What format will the SIDE load? XEX or ATR?

Some update: I am using Transcend 2gb 80x. It was unpartioned and after partioning the corruption seems to have gone away. One other thing I learned. I was using a stock 800xl. When I tried to use fdisk I was giving the out of memory error. Stuck it in 256k 800XL, works no problem. Seems I read somewhere where SDX liked a lot of memory but I'd forgotten. :(

Stock 800xl 64k mem requires a smaller config.sys

USE OSRAM

DEVICE SPARTA OSRAM

DEVICE SIO

DEVICE MYIDE

This one should boot SDX on a 64k 800xl.

Strange, I have the U1MB installed in a 800xl and a 130xe and my SIDE plays well with both...

Indeed strange, besides problems with SIDE, the U1MB also gave corrupted graphics. I had problems with two 800XLs but not with an 130XE. But I solved it by soldering a 3K resistor between 5V and A15 on the Ultimate1Mb board. The full story is here. I still don't know if the problem was in the U1MB or the two 800XLs but I have another U1MB on order to try out.

Robert

Stock 800xl 64k mem requires a smaller config.sys

USE OSRAM

DEVICE SPARTA OSRAM

DEVICE SIO

DEVICE MYIDE

This one should boot SDX on a 64k 800xl.

DEVICE MYIDE

DEVICE SIDE

but this won't help you run fdisk on stock machine

Thanks Candle and rdea6. I'll keep that in mind. At least I'll try. Memory is such a fleeting thing..... :grin:

DEVICE MYIDE

DEVICE SIDE

but this won't help you run fdisk on stock machine

As I mentioned to Sebastian the other day, recent PBI BIOS work has made me realize a few things could be done differently in the SIDE driver, so it'll be undergoing some changes soon. In particular, the internal 512 byte sector buffer will be halved in size, and I may also remove the mounting API (or at least provide an alternative version without it). I don't think dynamic mounting is used that much. There are also other things which can be reduced in size, so we might shave 512 bytes or more off MEMLO on a 64KB machine.

Hey all, I received an email from Piotr today with some good news :)

Hello, today i'm back in London and i recived your letter, thank you.;)

I'm back in London to pick up my stuff for soldering and a few finished SIDE Carts and then back to France on Sunday.

My new job has proved greater than I thought. Few pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115831189273346524142/Paryz?authkey=Gv1sRgCMnh4dCeqr7r9gE

It is a small castle !!! 2000 square meters. And is lots to do but i living here, have own room with bathroom,i have free time from 4 pm so i decide to move all my stuff and back to buissnes from new location. I found post office near home, parts is no problem i always order form States (digikey) or farnell from EU , So i post your SIDE from France in next week.

Anyway .... crazy times, i'm Polish, living in England, working in France, and get payment in USD dollars in company, globalization, LOL.

Best regards,Zaxon

Jay

Just got an email from Piotr saying he was despatching my SIDE unit, then later today it turned up recorded delivery, yippee now to find a suitable CF card

Anyone know how to format the CF carts and what files will it run, ATR, XEX, COM?

...This is VERY strange... You ordered on Dec. 2011, while I ordered in September... yet you are getting shipping notice first...

...Seems this whole process is up-side-down, out of real tracking/control...

Hope I get a notification soon.

When did you order yours and how many?

The list that FireDawg is maintaing doesn't have that info yet ;)

Jay

I ordered one, the day the pre-order was announced (July I think). I was told it would be shipping several weeks ago, but it never did. Must have been when Zaxon was traveling to France for work.

Hope I get a notification soon.

When did you order yours and how many?

The list that FireDawg is maintaing doesn't have that info yet ;)

Jay

I ordered one, the day the pre-order was announced (July I think). I was told it would be shipping several weeks ago, but it never did. Must have been when Zaxon was traveling to France for work.

@FireDawg, Stephen's order was on July 5th:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/184006-side-next-hdd-for-atari-8-bit-preorder/page__view__findpost__p__2318582

Jay