Photo

High Score Club 9.16 - Up 'n Down

102 replies to this topic

Poll: Next High Score Club Game (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Game Would You Like To See Next Week?

1. Crypts of Chaos (20th Century Fox) [New to HSC] (5 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

2. Eggomania (US Games) [Played Season 2, Wk 10] (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. Motorodeo (Atari) [New to HSC] (5 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

4. Mines of Minos (CommaVid) [New to HSC] (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

5. Solar Storm (Imagic) [Played Season 2, Wk 25] (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

6. Robot Tank (Activision) [Played Season 4, Wk 60] (10 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Scrabbler15 ONLINE  

Scrabbler15

Stargunner

• 1,299 posts

Posted Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:04 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• Up \'n Down (1984) (Sega)_4.png

#27 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:29 PM

This game would be a lot better if levels had a timer and flags and cars didn't keep disappearing

#28 Stan OFFLINE  

Stan

River Patroller

• 3,498 posts
  • 世嘉电子智能机好极了!

Posted Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:41 PM

Yeah, I considered playing this on emulator just to make sure I got a score in, but I just hate this damn game. And with the point stacking system being pretty much the only way you can make real points, feels like this pick is a bit of a wash to me. I just can't bring myself to try it again. Always hated this game. The music, ugh, the graphics, even worse. The gameplay, eh, not bad, but there are more interesting games with actual point awards for level completion. Guess I'm out this week too.

#29 JacobZu7zu7 OFFLINE  

JacobZu7zu7

River Patroller

• 3,734 posts

Posted Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:13 PM

This game is tedious and the music is agonizing...
Sega is not my fav 2600 games let's just say that.

I could deal with Tapper that would be the good Sega game, but again with loud
piercing music! This UP N DOWN, I keep getting impatient and mistiming my jumps!

My flag was missing on level 3... big surprise.

MY NEW SCORE = 39,040

Attached Thumbnails

• 39,040.JPG

#30 cparsley OFFLINE  

cparsley

Stargunner

• 1,812 posts

Posted Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:28 PM

Really? No Timer, the Colecovision version does time (quicker = bigger bonus at the end of each level)

#31 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:44 PM

nope, no timer. It would of made this game much better. Otherwise what's the point advancing to the next level which is more challenging. But, if the game had a timer with the flag missing issue, You're shit out of luck. Maybe that's why they don't have it.

Edited by Frostbite76, Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:44 PM.

#32 Jifremok OFFLINE  

Jifremok

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 PM

I kinda like this one since it's so different, but I don't see myself playing this one much for high scores when the scoring is so borked. I'll be doing more on the 7800 this week.
Posted Image

Edited by Jifremok, Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 PM.

#33 Stan OFFLINE  

Stan

River Patroller

• 3,498 posts
  • 世嘉电子智能机好极了!

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 12:06 PM

You know what would be a good idea from now on? Not sure if this has ever been suggested, and I know not everyone owns or likes every game (or wants to play some of them in the first place), but maybe Zero could make a list of up to 5 games that have been suggested to him. Whichever one gets the most votes before the next week becomes the next high score challenge. Ever try this?

#34 classicgamer_27330 OFFLINE  

classicgamer_27330

Dragonstomper

• 983 posts

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 3:38 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

bonus I can't draw or use paint

Posted Image

Edited by classicgamer_27330, Fri Jul 1, 2011 4:45 PM.

#35 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 7:00 PM

better score today 137,220

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0840.JPG

#36 Ze_ro OFFLINE  

Ze_ro

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,511 posts
  • Welcome Back!

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 9:05 PM

You know what would be a good idea from now on? Not sure if this has ever been suggested, and I know not everyone owns or likes every game (or wants to play some of them in the first place), but maybe Zero could make a list of up to 5 games that have been suggested to him. Whichever one gets the most votes before the next week becomes the next high score challenge. Ever try this?

challenge_accepted.png

Yes, it has been suggested before, and I know some of the other High Score Clubs do it, but I always liked the idea of not knowing what the game would be ahead of time, even if it's a "well, it's one of these..." bit of knowledge that lets people practice beforehand. But what the hell, lets try it out. I make no guarantee that I'll continue this in the future, but we'll see how it goes. Also, I intentionally made the vote so you could select multiple games, mostly so I can judge interest in all the games.

--Zero

#37 Ze_ro OFFLINE  

Ze_ro

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,511 posts
  • Welcome Back!

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 9:09 PM

bonus I can't draw or use paint

Posted Image

ಠ_ಠ

crappy_cars.jpg

Touche perhaps?

--Zero

#38 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 9:12 PM

If we're going to vote on what games we want to play, I think the vote counts should be hidden so we don't know what game to practice

#39 Miss 2600 OFFLINE  

Miss 2600

River Patroller

• 2,357 posts

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 9:31 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I barely have the time to play each week's selected game let alone practice a list of games which might be chosen. :lol:

As for the graphics, I would have been very disappointed if I got this game as a kid because I fully expected to see the cute car on the label. I wonder how the Activision designers would've done with this game.

Here's my bonus contribution. The VW Bug just wants to say "hi" to the Ford Granada. I don't know why the driver is freaking out. :twisted:

UpDrawing.jpg

#40 DT Kofoed OFFLINE  

DT Kofoed

Moonsweeper

• 399 posts

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 10:31 PM

challenge_accepted.png

Yes, it has been suggested before, and I know some of the other High Score Clubs do it, but I always liked the idea of not knowing what the game would be ahead of time, even if it's a "well, it's one of these..." bit of knowledge that lets people practice beforehand. But what the hell, lets try it out. I make no guarantee that I'll continue this in the future, but we'll see how it goes. Also, I intentionally made the vote so you could select multiple games, mostly so I can judge interest in all the games.

--Zero

Perhaps if this is understood to be a 'suggested game' vote, rather than a decisive 'most votes is the next game' scenario, that veneer of mystery can be maintained.

#41 DT Kofoed OFFLINE  

DT Kofoed

Moonsweeper

• 399 posts

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 10:42 PM

IMG_2039.JPG
First posted score: 44,250.

I agree that since the scoring is flat regardless of stage, and only increases over time, that this week's contest is a bit out of whack (and the game risks getting tedious). Regardless, increasing my score should be just a matter of finding time to play, at this point.

This game would be fantastic fun if there was some stage-score-multiplier or timer-bonus to be had upon level completion. SEGA usually did better in their VCS game designs than this. I don't get the graphic griping though... has anyone seen diagonal lines on a scrolling playfield look better in any other games?

#42 Frostbite76 OFFLINE  

Frostbite76

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 11:15 PM

The biggest flaw in this game is level 3 can't be completed half the time because of the missing flag problem. I'm sure level 6&9 are the same way since it basically is level 3 just a little harder. If the game had the same scoring system as the coleco game without the graphic glitches, I would love it. The game missing flags in level 3 is so pathetic that it's pretty comical.

#43 Jifremok OFFLINE  

Jifremok

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Fri Jul 1, 2011 11:57 PM

Posted Image

#44 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Your Imperious Leader

• 23,016 posts

Posted Sat Jul 2, 2011 8:35 AM

The biggest flaw in this game is level 3 can't be completed half the time because of the missing flag problem. I'm sure level 6&9 are the same way since it basically is level 3 just a little harder. If the game had the same scoring system as the coleco game without the graphic glitches, I would love it. The game missing flags in level 3 is so pathetic that it's pretty comical.

First I've heard of this. Can you elaborate? Maybe post something in the 2600 Mysteries thread. Very interesting...

Tempest

#45 Vocelli OFFLINE  

Vocelli

Dragonstomper

• 889 posts

Posted Sat Jul 2, 2011 8:43 AM

Ok... good game. Very addicting.
Vocelli 19190

On the voting for games thing. I do not like it. Why? Because I will always have a tendency to vote for games I am familiar with. The high Score Club lets me play games I have never tried before. Just wait and see. Games from Imagic, Activision and Atari will win most of the time. Just my thoughts. Now it is time to play!

Attached Thumbnails

• up19190.jpg

#46 Vocelli OFFLINE  

Vocelli

Dragonstomper

• 889 posts

Posted Sat Jul 2, 2011 9:29 AM

Lets do the drawing!
Vocelli: Art By Vocelli

Attached Thumbnails

• Drawing.jpg

#47 JacobZu7zu7 OFFLINE  

JacobZu7zu7

River Patroller

• 3,734 posts

Posted Sat Jul 2, 2011 9:42 AM

HA! I just lost a min ago, had a great game going, only lost 1 life by level 3... and looped in circles looking for the missing flag, and lost all my lives :(

This game is not so good,... disapearing flags is definately a RED FLAG!

I have yet to see level 4. I feel talentless.

#48 JacobZu7zu7 OFFLINE  

JacobZu7zu7

River Patroller

• 3,734 posts

Posted Sat Jul 2, 2011 10:05 AM

Guys and gals check this out... last weeks "Mind Master" bonuses, you can thank oyama and I, lol. ;)
Noone caught the mailman, no shock there though, his score was perfect. Oyama really helped lower ranked gamers here by his participation score... WOW! Some of these players came in a bit late, so it's helpful... interesting results, to say least... KLT made 92 points!

toymailman (2) beats JacobZuzu (1) - [+2]
Jifremok (12) beats JacobZu7zu7 (1) - [+22]
DT Kofoed (9) beats JacobZu7zu7 (1) - [+16]
Gorfy (6) beats JacobZu7zu7 (1) - [+10]
Frostbite76 (4) beats oyamafamily (3) - [+2]
classicgamer_27330 (11) beats oyamafamily (3) - [+16]
Vocelli (5) beats oyamafamily (3) - [+4]
cparsley (20) beats oyamafamily (3) - [+34]
Amstari (15) beats oyamafamily (3) - [+24]
theKLT (49) beats oyamafamily (3) - [+92]
LarcenTyler (29) beats oyamafamily (3) - [+52]
Miss 2600 (13) beats oyamafamily (3) - [+20]
pokeplayer984 (24) beats oyamafamily (3) - [+42]
Scrabbler15 (10) beats oyamafamily (3) - [+14]

#49 Gorfy OFFLINE  

Gorfy

River Patroller

• 2,529 posts

Posted Sat Jul 2, 2011 10:12 AM

Despite its flaws, I'm having fun with this one, which is odd because I usually don't like jumping games. That's why I like Zero to select games --- I get exposure to games I wouldn't have played otherwise. But I don't mind voting either; no big deal either way.

Attached Thumbnails

• Up \'n Down (1984) (Sega)_1.png

#50 Krytol OFFLINE  

Krytol

Stargunner

• 1,514 posts

Posted Sat Jul 2, 2011 10:57 AM

Attached Thumbnails

• Up \'n Down (1984) (Sega)_3.png

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users