IGNORED

Is the PS2 dead?

During my last trip to Gamestop(Ugh.), I noticed that they didn't have any new PS2 titles. New as in not pre-owned. It dawned on me that the system that WAS my childhood may finally be dead to the industry. Does Sony still produce them? Or release games for it? It pains me to think that PS2 could really be dead...

• Like 1

A system is only as dead as you want it to be. With the sheer volume of titles available for the PS2 i'm sure you have not played every title for the system so there is much out there to still discover and enjoy! :)

And don't rule out homebrew either, The Atari systems,Colecovision,Dreamcast hell even the Fairchild Channel F and other systems have new games being made all the time. The really is no such thing as a dead system. :thumbsup:

During my last trip to Gamestop(Ugh.), I noticed that they didn't have any new PS2 titles. New as in not pre-owned. It dawned on me that the system that WAS my childhood may finally be dead to the industry. Does Sony still produce them? Or release games for it? It pains me to think that PS2 could really be dead...

As others have said, new games aren't really being released. Finding a non-preowned game is still possible depending on the title and where you look. The gamestop where I am technically has a small selection of "new" (gutted) PS2 games for sale, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for something new to be ported over from japan. (And there's quite a bit that was released in Japan but didn't make it's way over here, as per the usual.)

So, typically how long do they continue to produce consoles for "dead" systems? Will the $99 PS2 be the lowest we will see them go at retail?

I think the PS2 is "dead" in any way that really matters. There may be a half-dozen new games released for it between now and whenever the sun goes nova, but nothing of significance. You'll still be able to find new games at retail, but only in small numbers, and usually in the context of closeout titles. I think my Best Buy has a few, I doubt they will by this time next year. To answer TwinCharger's question, Sony produced the PSOne until at least 2003 when I bought mine... I seem to remember it being around into 2005. It was $50 at the time.

Sure, systems never die in that "keep them alive in memory" way, but in the sense that the OP meant it, the PS2 is quite dead as a viable product.

• Like 1

my biggest regret is that we didnt get any of the earth (global) defense force games until this gen. i would have given an arm to play those, as well as many of the "simple" series.

we also missed out on a metric crap-ton of worthwhile looking horror titles.

As far as I know Sony has not announced the PS2's discontinuation, so in that sense, it is still "alive", and has indeed outlived the PSP go in most regions. :roll:

Ha! We could make a list of systems that the PS2 has outlived! GO, PS2!!!!! (although the end may be kind of near??)

Yes it is dead.

Any links on that?

I consider a system dead when people quit making games for it, and I do not count home-brews. I mean from a business and new buyer perspective. While it might still be making some money it is not enough for publishers to continue to support the system, and what is a system without games. With a PS3 I have not touched my PS2 in years or bought games for it in years. I give it till the end of this year when they release the Vita. Then they will most likely discontinue the system along with the PSP line. From a classic gamer perspective though no system is dead as long as there are home-brew games and or the person can still get enjoyment out of the system. For instance I still believe the Dreamcast is not dead.

Edited by ATARI7800fan

Consoles officially die when the company stops all production and support for the console just like the PS1, Dreamcast and Vectrex. I have not heard any news of Sony doing this yet.

Is anything really dead though? Nothing dies to people like us.

Someone out there will like the system just like the fairchild.

Do you play it and like it? Do more than just a few people on the internets play it and like it? Its not dead then.

Its dead to the world but not to fans. I see Astrocade and Fairchild threads sometimes and even handheld games like Coleco football.

Its all good if you like it and it never really dies.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 3

Consoles officially die when the company stops all production and support for the console just like the PS1, Dreamcast and Vectrex. I have not heard any news of Sony doing this yet.

Is anything really dead though? Nothing dies to people like us.

Someone out there will like the system just like the fairchild.

Do you play it and like it? Do more than just a few people on the internets play it and like it? Its not dead then.

Its dead to the world but not to fans. I see Astrocade and Fairchild threads sometimes and even handheld games like Coleco football.

Its all good if you like it and it never really dies.

exactly, agree that a console never really dies.

Damn, I feel old. :(

• Like 5

It could very well that it keeps being around a while longer. I could see it selling very well in eastern europe, middle/south america and parts of asia. Since the ps3, xbox360 and even the wii, may be to pricy for them. And to put in a new longest supported console, it has to be on the market for at least 8 more months.

The atari 2600 has been on the market for 14 years and 2 months. The ps2 is now 11 years, 4 months and 2 days.

What I find interesting about the situation (and, perhaps other dying (but before they're completely gone from retail) consoles) is that they (console manufacturer) ignore the VAST library of 1st-rate titles this system (and others) have, in the waning and final years.

The GBA is the last system I remember dying a similar death. I'm not talking about short-lived consoles that burn out early; I am talking about major success stories, super-mainstream ass-kickers like the GBA and the PS2. (1) The successor system comes out, (2) You start to notice the influx of new titles slows. (3) You start to see existing titles (good/excellent ones) disappear from retail, (4) Eventually, there's nothing but A FEW horrid kiddie games offered [Dogz, Catz, Ratz, Bratz - that stuff ending with the letter "Z"], (5) System dies.

The console manufacturer must desire to kill it. Why aren't the Greatest Hits series still for sale? If they still had an arsenal of budget ($20/less) excellent titles, the PS2 could continue for a long time, as a budget system. If you could still get Tekken 3, Soul Calibur 3, Virtua Fighter 4, Gran Turismo 4, GTA San Andreas, some Ace Combat games, some Namco Museum, etc.... With these old games, the development costs have been recouped so long ago, it would just be profit. It must cost them $2 to stamp a disc and case it with a manual.

I suppose they'd be competing with used games, but I'd think people would pay extra to have a new, unscratched/complete copy. Perhaps the market would be too small to have a whole lot of games offered, but if they had 10 of the system's greatest, or even 5 at retail, surely there would be interest. I guess they want to move everyone to the PS3 where the games are [relatively] expensive. They must not want it to survive???? I thought the money was in the games and not the hardware, but since there is almost nothing at retail, yet the hardware is still for sale, one must wonder "Why?"

How much longer than the original Xbox did this thing (PS2) last?