IGNORED

High Score Club 9.17 - Robot Tank

Ze_ro

Next High Score Club Game  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which Game Would You Like To See Next Week?

• Cosmic Creeps (Telesys) [New to HSC]
    • Tunnel Runner (CBS) [Played Season 1, Wk 15]
    • China Syndrome (Spectravision) [New to HSC]
    • Tac-Scan (Sega) [Player Season 3, Wk 37]
    • Submarine Commander (Sears) [New to HSC]
    • Time Pilot (Coleco) [Played Season 2, Wk 9]

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

True, but I just don't like emulators really. I like to play the real thing on real hardware. Guess there's no real reason. Anyway, we don't have to do the voting thing, but I thought it was a good idea.

But you play a Harmony cartridge on real hardware. It's like having the cartridge of all the games in one. It's different to me than playing on a computer with a keyboard or modern joystick hooked to it because I can play the games on my 2600 with my Atari joystick.

Here's my first second entry: 15 33 tanks

post-2105-0-76692600-1310014816_thumb.jpg

I had my radar destroyed twice but both times I just went for it and killed off quite a few tanks. I couldn't survive an entire night though trying to maneuver back and forth not knowing where the enemy was. Snow is the worst! I can't stand it. I try to keep the enemy behind me during the snow scenes but it takes more maneuvering to do so.

Edited by Miss 2600

First attempt:

35 Tanks

I was actually doing great and then near the third stage a couple of tanks one-shot killed me. Couldn't figure out why. I was gaming well even without radar and a flickering visual shot of the area. I absolutely love the rain and snow features. Nice touch. Tough ass game!

But you play a Harmony cartridge on real hardware. It's like having the cartridge of all the games in one.

Yeah, but it's still a modern creation and not the real games in actuality. I like to play the real, REAL deal, clean them, care for them, show them off, and collect!

Woo Hoo! I am in the 40 club with 42 tanks!

post-2105-0-19180300-1310072186_thumb.jpg

Here are some of my tips, though I'm not as good as many of you so you probably know all of these or have better tips than I:

1. For me, enemy tanks are easier to shoot when they are coming from the right side of the screen (from the perspective of looking at the screen). My strategy is to keep bringing the enemy around to the right. Ease into it because it will immediately start shooting. I can quickly get out of the way when the enemy cannon is on the edge of the screen. Then, when it is turned sideways, go in for the kill. You can catch them napping right when the sun comes out at 700 hours. When the conditions are clear, I try to blow up 4-5 tanks before dark. If you find your more comfortable shooting enemies from one side or the other, keep bringing them to your favored side.

2. Stand your ground. Don't always turn away from enemy fire. It seems to me that, even if a tank shoots at you, if you blow them up before you are hit, you will not sustain damage. I'm not sure that is true, but I've noticed, once I've blown up an enemy, that square that was coming my way does not do anything to my tank. Also, you can blow up an enemy cannon coming your way and save your tank.

3. I avoid conditions I'm not good at. I'm not very good shooting during the night and I am terrible in the snow. During these scenes, I keep the enemy behind me while watching the radar. In snow, you have to hold the joystick longer to get your tank to move. This wastes a lot of days. As you can see, it took me 12 days of Robot Tank time to get to 42 kills whereas a lot of you have done much better in less time. Waiting is best for me because, trying to fight in snow is suicidal for my tanks because I'm so bad at it, so not fighting on those days saves my tanks and allows me to get a better score.

Good ones girl and nice score!

One more tip: you can shoot enemy shots. It's a great way to save yourself if you don't think you can move in time and want to keep a tank in your sites (especially if you've lost radar or the screen is blacking out on you after a hit).

And another: Don't be afraid to waste a life, take risks, you get a free tank every time you beat a squadron, so if you're close to the end go for it.

One more tip: you can shoot enemy shots. It's a great way to save yourself if you don't think you can move in time and want to keep a tank in your sites (especially if you've lost radar or the screen is blacking out on you after a hit).

And another: Don't be afraid to waste a life, take risks, you get a free tank every time you beat a squadron, so if you're close to the end go for it.

I mentioned the shooting on-coming cannons in the second tip.

Good tip on taking risks when your close to beating a squadron. I've been able to do OK taking risks at night, but snow has been my downfall every time. I've decided not to take risks in snow.

I mentioned the shooting on-coming cannons in the second tip.

Good tip on taking risks when your close to beating a squadron. I've been able to do OK taking risks at night, but snow has been my downfall every time. I've decided not to take risks in snow.

I'll add a couple more tips (under the category of "it's not a real tank") -

The cannon shots are steerable. Shoot and then move the shot into the enemy tank.

Spin to avoid oncoming shots. In a real tank, it would be necessary to drive forward after the spin to get out of the way. But in Atari land, getting the oncoming shot off the screen is good enough.

The closer you are to the enemy tank, the easier the shot is, because the target is bigger. Just don't get your own tank shot. Easy, right?

Spin to avoid oncoming shots. In a real tank, it would be necessary to drive forward after the spin to get out of the way. But in Atari land, getting the oncoming shot off the screen is good enough.

Yeah! I thought about that, too. You're just turning; you're still in the same spot! But if you don't see it, it can't hurt you!