IGNORED

800XL power supply connector

stevem00

You have to put the pins on the one side (pin 3,5,7) together and the pins on the other side (pin 1,4,6 ) together. Pin 2 is not connected.

For the numbering of pins see "MAS 70S" in the attaches datasheet.

I would suggest Hirschman MAS 70S ; they´re a little bit more expensive but of good quality and easy-to-solder.

Wich side is +5V and wich is ground I don´t know by heart; I have to look at home.

Preventively I always check ground with a continuity tester (between GND on power-connector and the shield, e.g. the PBI-shielding plate).

Sleepy

Hirschman connectors.pdf

• 3 years later...

I discover mine, during its long and damp neglect has gone the same way. When plugged in, if I wobble the cable around at the moulded plug section the machine goes off and on - clearly a break somewhere in there.

Many thanks for the guide and the pin-out. This seems to be the closest replacement I can find:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-din-7-pin-plug-hh30h

There is a Maplins in my nearest town so I can pick one up very easily. Other than that I think the power unit is fine. It is one of those gigantic, sealed blocks that looks like a grooved piece of Ancient Egyptian architecture! I believe the Atari part number was: CO 61763-34.

• Like 1

Really??? Woah... Sadly its the only one I've got at the moment. I have actually heard of 'The Ingot' before but I thought it was a different unit. I wonder if I have got the part number wrong. I'll give it another check.

Nope, its CO 61763-34 right enough... Oh dear...

Update:

A couple of days later I finally got hold of the above plug from Maplins. Despite struggling at first with an iron I bought for £6.99 from Aldi, I eventually got the right tip and managed to reconnect the power unit. For the interest of anyone reading this - at least on my 'CO 61763-34' power unit - the side of the wire-pair that is marked with a white streak is +5V. The unmarked 'black' twin is -5v. I went to the trouble of splitting each main wire in to three and then attaching each of these to the appropriate pin - although why Atari decided on this design for a power plug is beyond me. This is dog work, especially when the only way to control your iron's temperature is by changing the end... But at the end of the day I got everything soldered up reasonably tight with a minimum of solder-bridges and the cheap plug crimped down. On connecting to the computer nothing exploded and it has been running the self-test for a couple of hours now.

So I chalk that one up as a win - perhaps the worst attached din-plug in all electronics' history, but a win nonetheless.

• 2 months later...