Photo

Boulder Dash (R) Demo Release

123 replies to this topic

#26 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 541 posts

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:33 AM

I don't see a point why in 2011 would someone release a retail 2600 game... even with this "blockbuster" title.

#27 GroovyBee OFFLINE  

GroovyBee

Games Developer

• 7,949 posts
  • Busy bee!

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:37 AM

I don't see a point why in 2011 would someone release a retail 2600 game... even with this "blockbuster" title.

Its because some people want to do it right even though its a legacy system. If you are a professional programmer e.g. it's your day job, then you really don't want a C&D on your CV.

#28 Andrew Davie OFFLINE  

Andrew Davie

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,583 posts
  • Dr.Boo

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:24 AM

Although the demo contains the "hardest" two caves -- Funnel (O) and Apocalypse (M), all of the caves have been implemented.
Here is a short video clip briefly showing each of the 16 caves... with a few bonus bugs :) The first 10 seconds of the video is corrupt because YouTube doesn't like my file format. But the rest is OK. I'm working on a few last-minute speed improvements, colour changes, and bug-fixes. Not long now...

#29 BrianC OFFLINE  

BrianC

Stargunner

• 1,468 posts

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 AM

Very impressive! Looks as close to the 800 version as the 2600 can get!

#30 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 541 posts

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:17 AM

I remember when I first played Boulder Dash - it was on ZX Spectrum - the main hero would always run away from the screen since the scrolling was too slow. Here it seems to be fast as hell!

#31 c_t_f OFFLINE  

c_t_f

Space Invader

• 43 posts
  • Location:Isolated behind a toilet, surviving off of toothpaste and tap water

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:20 AM

Whoo! :D :thumbsup: Awesome!!! I can't wait!!

#32 roland p OFFLINE  

roland p

Stargunner

• 1,882 posts
  • $23

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:40 PM

Looks like it's faster than the previous versions?

Kudos for finishing it! :thumbsup:

#33 Amstari OFFLINE  

Amstari

Dragonstomper

• 501 posts

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:48 PM

This is amazing! Great work. If a cart is released I will buy it immediately!

I have played countless hours of Boulder Dash on the Amstrad CPC. I wasn't expecting the 2600 version to be so close to the original version. I'm blown away by how good it looks and the scrolling is perfect.

#34 toymailman OFFLINE  

toymailman

River Patroller

• 2,026 posts

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:39 PM

Amazing! Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

#35 Christophero Sly OFFLINE  

Christophero Sly

River Patroller

• 4,829 posts

Posted Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:45 PM

Can't wait!

#36 Fr0st OFFLINE  

Fr0st

Moonsweeper

• 310 posts

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:33 AM

This looks absolutely amazing! It's a shame it's a finished game, and isn't being released. BD 2600 would be an honourable port of one of my favourite ever games.

Put me down for a PAL copy if FirstStar ever pull the silver spoon from their asses.

#37 Andrew Davie OFFLINE  

Andrew Davie

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,583 posts
  • Dr.Boo

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 AM

The Atari 2600 Boulder Dash ® demo is now available. The binary is attached to the first post of this thread. If you find a bug, please report it here. But first, RTFM! Let me know how it works for you. Finally... it's done!
Cheers
A

#38 Christophero Sly OFFLINE  

Christophero Sly

River Patroller

• 4,829 posts

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:10 AM

Amazing!

#39 roland p OFFLINE  

roland p

Stargunner

• 1,882 posts
  • $23

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:31 AM

It's alive!

I am doing some test-playing right now, it works really nice. The movement feels really good.

Just a question (I did rtfm). I can't move the block to the right on the following screenshot, is that right?

Attached Thumbnails

• BoulderDash100.bin_2.png

#40 Amstari OFFLINE  

Amstari

Dragonstomper

• 501 posts

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:29 AM

Awesome! Just tried the demo.

It worked fine in Stella but wont work with the Harmony Cart.

#41 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Quadrunner

• 8,275 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:47 AM

Harmony only supports up to 4K of RAM with the 3E bank switching format. As I recall Boulder Dash uses much more RAM than that.

I tried it on my Krok Cart and it's flakey. Sometimes hitting fire starts a round, other times it goes back to the initial splash screen. When I die, it either crashes or goes back to the splash screen.

#42 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 541 posts

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:12 PM

It's running pretty good. Perhaps a little foo fast, but no complaints. Sadly you have not that original music, that was composed years ago here:

http://www.atariage....ost__p__1462523

I mean the first one, not the second one which is out of tune.

#43 LS_Dracon OFFLINE  

LS_Dracon

Dragonstomper

• 565 posts

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:22 PM

The graphics are amazing :)

#44 Omegamatrix OFFLINE  

Omegamatrix

Quadrunner

• 5,560 posts

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:43 PM

Hi Andrew, Hi Thomas!

Great work here, and it's good to see the project on the homestretch. I loved the effects on the title screen. I played the demo a little today and found it FUN!!!

Now I'll have to get my Krok cart mailed to me from my old place, but it will take quite a while due to Canada Post's mail backlog. :(

Great job, brilliant conversion!!!! :D

Cheers,
Jeff

#45 sermajic OFFLINE  

sermajic

Chopper Commander

• 215 posts

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:14 PM

Why does it not work with harmony cart?

#46 bfstats OFFLINE  

bfstats

Moonsweeper

• 445 posts

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:01 PM

Gentlemen, this is SO well done! Another feather in your respective caps.

Demo or not, I'm sure you'll understand when I say IT NEEDS A BOX!!

If this demo is the end of the story, so be it. But I am curious to know if, in your dealings with First Star, they ever told you what else they would intend to do with the game other than release it, whether it be through retail (unlikely, I know) or through "hobby channels" (namely, this community we are all enthusiastic participants in).

Back in the day, I was able to acquire Boing! directly from First Star simply by writing a letter. The response I received was friendly and helpful, and it gave me the impression the company was just as eager to share it's game as I was to play it. In fact, included with Boing! was a "reward" card from Fernando Herrera, head of the company, encouraging the recruitment of game and educational software programmers. I suspect I speak for the whole community when I say it is fair to hope that the people or person the two of you have dealt with (Fernando himself perhaps?) have the same willingness to share as those I corresponded with in June of 1984.

In the mean time, THANKS for yet another awesome contribution!

#47 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 25,024 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:04 PM

Why does it not work with harmony cart?

I think that was answered 4 posts above yours:

http://www.atariage....93#entry2325993

Harmony only supports up to 4K of RAM with the 3E bank switching format. As I recall Boulder Dash uses much more RAM than that.

#48 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,501 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:59 PM

It's running pretty good. Perhaps a little foo fast, but no complaints. Sadly you have not that original music, that was composed years ago here:

http://www.atariage....ost__p__1462523

I mean the first one, not the second one which is out of tune.

The second is out of tune but the first one too blippy and IMO there are too many "creative changes" for what should be an authentic recreation. BD music has a strict formula, as mentioned here: http://www.elmerprod...erb/sounds.html

I followed this formula using DPC+ and this is the result. Sounds a bit better on Harmony than Stella.

Attached Files

#49 Amstari OFFLINE  

Amstari

Dragonstomper

• 501 posts

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

It works with Stella on the Wii so I have been able to play it on a TV with a console, even if it's not a 2600.

#50 Andrew Davie OFFLINE  

Andrew Davie

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,583 posts
  • Dr.Boo

Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 PM

I followed this formula using DPC+ and this is the result. Sounds a bit better on Harmony than Stella.

I would love to use original music. However, it must be stock-standard '2600 with no hardware support.
Can anyone help me with this?
Cheers
A

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users