IGNORED

Got screwed by GameStop today

Many times when I buy a used game from GameStop or get one as a present from there, the disc is scratched and there's a good chance that it will also be sticky/dirty because people don't know how to wash their hands and they don't know that they should hold a disc by the sides. I treat my games like an anal retentive worshiper of a holy relic. They go straight from the case to the Xbox 360 and back again. I carefully hold a disc by the sides and don't scratch it up or get it dirty, sticky, or greasy.

Well, I needed some food money and since I've played the crap out of Just Cause 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, it wouldn't be too painful to say goodbye to them, so I called GameStop and asked how much cash I could get for them. They said I would get around 20 bucks.

I took the games in and the guy said he was giving me 17 bucks. I told him that I thought I was getting around 20. He said that Just Cause 2 had too many scratches and that he'd have to send it in to be reconditioned, so that's why he was taking 3 dollars off. I said that's the condition it was in when I bought it from them, but he wouldn't budge. I said that 17 dollars was better than nothing and took the cash.

I want to know why the game didn't need to be reconditioned before I bought it. Then when I try to get cash for it in the same condition it was in when I bought it, now it suddenly needs to be reconditioned and I get 3 dollars less.

People always talk about how they get screwed by GameStop and now I see what they are talking about.

If anyone from GameStop reads this, you owe me 3 dollars. Stop being crooks and pay up:

www.randomterrain.com/donate.html

RT... I feel for you, but...

How dare you complain about GameStop, the bastion of upholding everything creative and important, when they are saving all of the non-scratched complete in box games for everyone who is a true believer. Only those born again in his name will be able to play unscratched games. When you believe, you will get the non-scratched games as your reward.

He needed food money that's probably why he didn't sell the stuff here.

Yep, what he said. And I also don't have the proper mailing materials to send off games to people with confidence. I don't want to get a bad reputation for mailing things improperly.

Sell on Amazon.

Buy on Amazon.

Come on guys.....

Edit:

Just in case anyone cares. I've been doing it for a year now. (Buying and selling from Amazon)

Pros:

Since I'm picky with sellers. (I choose 95% or higher ratings). My used games I get are 90% of the time in much better condition than what I ever get at Gamestop.

I get a better deal as a seller than Gamestop. I compared games over the past year that I have sold and Amazon gave me more trade in value (by quite a bit).

Cons:

You have to actually mail a box or wait for box to arrive or wait for your credit.

2 out 5 times I may get a better deal at gamestop but its rare.

Best buy is starting up a physical location so their finally may be some competition (as far as physical retail is concerned).

IMHO Amazon is the best.

Edited by cimerians

I've never bought used from Amazon since very often their new prices are so low.

I haven't shopped at GameSlop in years and haven't missed it a bit. For used titles:

I hit the many flea markets that are available in my area and always find GREAT deals.

We also have two Play 'n Trade's locally that carry used software/hardware for systems going back to the Atari 2600. Play n' Trade is a bit cheaper than GameSlop, gives more on trade-in's, and run a lot of specials, especially Buy 2 - Get 1 Free.

Pawn Shops and 2nd Hand stores are another source of cheap systems and games.

Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other charitable stores are still another source.

Plus I trade games with my sons who are also avid gamers.

Between all of the above options, I have no need (or desire) for shopping at GS.

Mendon

Sell on Amazon.

Buy on Amazon.

Come on guys.....

Edit:

Just in case anyone cares. I've been doing it for a year now. (Buying and selling from Amazon)

Pros:

Since I'm picky with sellers. (I choose 95% or higher ratings). My used games I get are 90% of the time in much better condition than what I ever get at Gamestop.

I get a better deal as a seller than Gamestop. I compared games over the past year that I have sold and Amazon gave me more trade in value (by quite a bit).

Cons:

You have to actually mail a box or wait for box to arrive or wait for your credit.

2 out 5 times I may get a better deal at gamestop but its rare.

Best buy is starting up a physical location so their finally may be some competition (as far as physical retail is concerned).

IMHO Amazon is the best.

Amazon credit wouldn't have put food on RT's table. Otherwise I agree. RT would have gotten $31 for those 3 games. I always send mine to Amazon in bubble mailers that I buy at Wal-mart. Haven't had a problem yet.

You should've spoken to somebody else there, preferably the manager if you weren't already.

There seemed to be just one guy there and what looked like his girlfriend or wife. There was a 4 year old kid and a baby in the car with my mom, so I couldn't stand there arguing all day.

The good news is that it won't be long before a civil war or revolution starts, so most businesses will be burned to the ground, including that one. :D

• Like 1

RT, in your case, you got lied to by a store employee on the phone and genuinely hosed when you came in person to collect. It's wrong and you deserve to be compensated. (Ironically $3 is what my bank wants to charge me monthly now for my Health Savings account and I only make $2 a month in interest. Needless to say I'll be switching banks.)

On the other hand, I can't count the number of times I've stood in a secondhand game store and listened to a poor exasperated employee trying to deal with a customer who is either (A.) trying to pull a fast one (B.) has an incredible chip of entitlement on their shoulder or (C.) both. The last time I visited a Gamers or a GameStop in Lincoln, a very rude woman spent at least 10 minutes telling the guy at the counter how he +had+ to give her cash back, because she was leaving for a vacation in Hawaii the next day, and she didn't want in-store credit plus the expiration date on returns would pass before she got back.

(Never mind the fact this woman looked like poor trash, and no one in their right mind could believe she was leaving on vacation to Hawaii.)

You know something lady? If you don't read the policy when you buy a used game, whose fault is that? Furthermore you're making the rest of those of us who are reasonable, polite customers listen to your LOUD and RUDE bitching.

Sometimes, GameStop customers screw the rest of US.

• Like 3

You know.. if you're really cheap like that . . .

A guy with thousands of dollars in his bank account who is arguing about a few dollars could be considered cheap, but I have about a week before any more money comes in. Three dollars is a big deal when there's no food in the house and you need every penny you can get.

. . . then perhaps you need to fall to the dark side and learn the black art of piracy. . .

I think I'll leave piracy to people who are good at it. I'm the type of person who would get caught right away. The universe conspires to keep people like me as straight and law-abiding as possible.

• Like 1

The good news is that it won't be long before a civil war or revolution starts, so most businesses will be burned to the ground, including that one. :D

Best quote of the day IMHO.

I do most of my game shopping with a local chain here in Alabama called Replays. I've noticed that all discs going in or out of the shop go through a cleaning and polishing machine at the checkout. I have had positive experiences there over the years. This bit of info won't help anyone outside of AL or Miss, but I prefer to shop with local small business when possible. http://www.replaysonline.com/

I'm curious to know what the screwed versus good deal ratio is with other independent shops in various locales?

Best quote of the day IMHO.

I do most of my game shopping with a local chain here in Alabama called Replays. I've noticed that all discs going in or out of the shop go through a cleaning and polishing machine at the checkout. I have had positive experiences there over the years. This bit of info won't help anyone outside of AL or Miss, but I prefer to shop with local small business when possible. http://www.replaysonline.com/

I'm curious to know what the screwed versus good deal ratio is with other independent shops in various locales?

Good policy and one I try to adhere to myself. The local game store (a family run chain of two called "Game Cycle") has very friendly people running it and working there and even though some prices leave me scratching my head, I like to plunk my dollars down there and support them whenever I can.

You know.. if you're really cheap like that . . .

A guy with thousands of dollars in his bank account who is arguing about a few dollars could be considered cheap, but I have about a week before any more money comes in. Three dollars is a big deal when there's no food in the house and you need every penny you can get.

. . . then perhaps you need to fall to the dark side and learn the black art of piracy. . .

I think I'll leave piracy to people who are good at it. I'm the type of person who would get caught right away. The universe conspires to keep people like me as straight and law-abiding as possible.

Since I've screwed GameStop out of thousands of dollars I guess that they have to make it up somewhere. Sometimes the universe conspires to send you to Egypt to see pyramids when what you were searching for was in the very spot where you started.

:D

AX

Gamestop makes money by exploiting their customers with horrible prices for games they "buy," If you plan to sell some games, it should be the very last place you ever think of going. It's probably worthwhile to look and see if there are any Entertainment/Media resellers in your area.

Though I do understand your position RT in needing to get a cash fix.

I don't go to Gamestop because they open there games and sell them as new that make me mad

I've bought a "new" game there because they didn't have any used copies at that store or any others in my city and it was scratched to shit, I've bought used games and they look like new :roll:

I do as well the only problem is some independent shops never lower their prices. you see games sitting on the self so long that is has sun damage. They are used already so for last generation games it's a toss up of buying it at a independent shop for $5-$15 or get it at EB/GS for $5 and under.

Their is a chain here called gamerdoc and when you buy something there they open up an account based on your name and phone number, they input what ever you buy into your account and you have a lifetime warranty on what ever games you buy. All last gen games are $3 unless priced otherwise. http://www.gamerdoc.com/

Edited by hobojoe44