IGNORED

Epic Adventure

Byte Knight

There are a few good artist but PAC-MAN-RED shares sprites in his thread giving us inspirations to program new games.

The converse appears to be the norm - games under development inspire artists to come up with better graphics than those made by us programmers.

i love everything about this except the title. the word "epic" is overused as dumb slang these days.

The title isn't set in stone, and ideally I'd like to call it "Adventure III" but I'm sure there are legal issues with that...

Todd

there's nothing stopping you from doing so! "Adventure" is a generic title not owned by Atari or anyone else. how else would the 5200 homebrew sequel get its title?

I'm not a big fan of the flashing mazes.

Why - seizure disorder? ;) I went with the flickering playfield torch effect instead of the surrounding light effect in order to save a sprite for another item... I could make them flicker less if people find this annoying.

Is there a bridge for crossing boundaries?

There is no bridge in the game but there is a way to get through walls by dropping a certain item while touching a wall. This is a bug that may remain a "feature". With the ability for the ring to attract objects and you able to attract the ring (by holding down the button), I didn't see much reason to include a bridge.

I'm not a big fan of the flashing mazes.

Why - seizure disorder? ;) I went with the flickering playfield torch effect instead of the surrounding light effect in order to save a sprite for another item... I could make them flicker less if people find this annoying.

Would a fade-in/fade-out effect be possible?

Or maybe just get everyone to watch more 80's Japanese cartoons. I have no problem with that. :cool:

Illya

Todd,

when I start the game on my PAL console + Harmony, I get garbage on screen for seconds, then a black screen.

I have the same issue with EggVenture.

Just a hunch, but do you have the latest bios on your harmony? - as long as your tv can handle 60hz you could try the NTSC bios to...

The playfield bounce is caused by building with an older DPCplus.arm file.

I can't find the post where batari attached it :( so I'll just upload my dev folder that I'm using right now.

This also contains all current fixes available.

Latest Visual Batari + bB 1.1C + DPC+ fixes

Hmmm, I thought I had all the latest fixes, but I guess I missed that one.

Here is the file compiled with the new DPCplus.arm file. Let me know if there are still problems with the Harmony cart.

epicadv2.bin

Seems to work just fine here on my Harmony cart. There is though a screen bouncing issue where you constantly walk into a closed castle gate and the screen shakes up and down. Not sure if this was intentional.

Edited by ScumSoft

Seems to work just fine here on my Harmony cart. There is though a screen bouncing issue where you constantly walk into a closed castle gate and the screen shakes up and down. Not sure if this was intentional.

Bouncing is not intended - must be another "feature"!

Very nice work!

The sprite-work in general is very good. I especially like the look of your dragon. Nothing much duck-like about that guy :)

I did notice a bit of lag in the update between the dragon's two halves when he is moving horizontal. I assume that's because you are flickering one player on alternate frames. Perhaps to resolve this, you could try alternating the frame in which his x position updates as well?

Edited by jrok

I did notice a bit of lag in the update between the dragon's two halves when he is moving horizontal. I assume that's because you are flickering one player on alternate frames. Perhaps to resolve this, you could try alternating the frame in which his x position updates as well?

Hey jrok,

Yeah, the dragon becomes separated or scrunched together depending on which way it's moving. I'm using two of the player1 virtual sprites for the dragon. I'm not sure how DPC flickers between the two and also when there are more virtual player1 sprites near the same y value. Complicating matters is that the dragon moves every other frame. So, I have no idea how to fix this...

Todd

You have to use Stella 3.4.1 since it's a DPC+ game

@Byte Knight, you can't really solve the flicker on the virutal players, once they are within 5 scanlines of each other they will flicker. The flicker get's increased by half the more virtual players are around the same scanline.

You can reduce the flicker though by using player0 and player1 for the dragon, and a virtual sprite for the player.

Unless the player is within 5 scanlines of the dragon, the dragon shouldn't flicker at all.

Edited by ScumSoft