Photo

Here we go . Atari 2600 vs Intellivision

121 replies to this topic

#101 Phredreeke OFFLINE  

Phredreeke

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:53 AM

Whether Colecovision is a second or third generation system is debatable. Most people seem to consider the third generation to have started with the release of the Famicom or NES, which would put Colecovision in the second generation. However, it's certainly more advanced than the typical second generation systems except perhaps the Atari 5200.

#102 Master Phruby OFFLINE  

Master Phruby

Stargunner

• 1,932 posts

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:44 AM

Too bad Zaxxon never looked like that.

eg82_zpsae0e84fc.jpg

#103 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 6,870 posts

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:20 AM

Well there is mame. So I don't worry if CV can do it like that or not.

#104 JacobZu7zu7 OFFLINE  

JacobZu7zu7

River Patroller

• 3,540 posts

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:13 PM

The controllers pose no problem for me - my hand doesn't cramp, and I find them pretty responsive and accurate. Games like Thunder Castle and Night Stalker hold up really well. Yeah, a lot of Inty games do feel slow (Space Hawk for one), but on the plus side the system just has so many unique, quirky games in its library.

Yeah I feel the same way, kinda surprised at how many struggle with INTV controllers the most of all consoles. Where I find 5200 ones make my hands hurt (doesn't fit my palm right) and 2600 joysticks can be too stiff for Summer Games, Decathlon, Soccer etc... and break too easy. The Intelly controllers do the job for me. My emulation (PC controller) scores aren't any different or better.

The only two games that did any kinda cramp was Dracula (disc), and Space Armada (fire). My thumb would get tight from having to chase people around in Drac, and then the firing constantly in Armada would sore up my thumb. Never had a problem besides these two games though, Mattel was smart enough to include auto-fire. ;)

Speaking of early 80's, it was either substance... "Intellivision/Colecovision" or simple pick up 'n play games with speed and no slow downs, Atari 2600/Odyssey2.

It's hard for me to choose between 2600 or Intellivision. Both win for different reasons.

#105 Xot OFFLINE  

Xot

River Patroller

• 4,579 posts
  • Because I'm -- A NINJA!!

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:43 AM

Of course it is.  That's what makes it fun.  Also, Coleco wins nothing.  Unless you're a fan of Donkey Kong and obscure arcade ports like Mouse Trap and Slither.  It was almost a crime the games that ended up on that system.  Looping?  Pepper II? Who even played those in the arcade?  Though War Games made the system worth owning on its own. And Turbo.

I did, and I LOVED Mouse Trap and Pepper II. Plus there were some amazing ports of more popular arcade games - two of my other favorites, Mr. Do! and Q*Bert. Colecovision had phenomenal arcade ports. Much later I would discover that the Atarisoft games were excellent as well. Centipede, Defender, and Pac-Man are all superior even to the 5200 versions IMO. 

#106 rivercityrandom OFFLINE  

rivercityrandom

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 PM

Whether Colecovision is a second or third generation system is debatable. Most people seem to consider the third generation to have started with the release of the Famicom or NES, which would put Colecovision in the second generation. However, it's certainly more advanced than the typical second generation systems except perhaps the Atari 5200.

I dunno, if you look at the Colecovision, NES, and Sega Master System specs side-by-side, they look quite comparable. The Sega Master System even uses the same Z80 processor and Texas Instruments graphics and sound chips as the Colecovision. If Coleco had survived the crash and had innovated in different genres of games like Nintendo and Sega did, you might have gotten third-gen quality out of them.

#107 high voltage ONLINE  

high voltage

River Patroller

• 3,445 posts
  • Location:America, Asia, Europe, Aus, Antartica, Africa, Outer Space

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 PM

I dunno, if you look at the Colecovision, NES, and Sega Master System specs side-by-side, they look quite comparable. The Sega Master System even uses the same Z80 processor and Texas Instruments graphics and sound chips as the Colecovision. If Coleco had survived the crash and had innovated in different genres of games like Nintendo and Sega did, you might have gotten third-gen quality out of them.

Coleco can never be the same gen as 2600, that's just absurd. Coleco and NES are only 1/2 year apart. Either Coleco is third gen and Famicom 4th, or Coleco and Famicom are both 3rd gen. Same goes for 5200, it can never be the same gen as 2600, it's like putting PS1 and PS2 in the same gen, wouldn't happen. Wiki got the whole gen thing totally wrong.

Edited by high voltage, Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:54 PM.

#108 high voltage ONLINE  

high voltage

River Patroller

• 3,445 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:01 PM

Intellivision is 16 bit, should it be in the SNES/Genesis gen, because it's so advanced?

#109 Phredreeke OFFLINE  

Phredreeke

Chopper Commander

• 172 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:29 PM

SMS is a progression of the SG-1000, which is pretty much a Colecovision without system rom, and no keypads on the controllers. However, the SMS graphics chip has some significant improvements over the old TMS9918 line of graphics chips, including a larger palette, multicolor tiles and sprites and hardware scrolling.

Coleco can never be the same gen as 2600, that's just absurd. Coleco and NES are only 1/2 year apart. Either Coleco is third gen and Famicom 4th, or Coleco and Famicom are both 3rd gen. Same goes for 5200, it can never be the same gen as 2600, it's like putting PS1 and PS2 in the same gen, wouldn't happen. Wiki got the whole gen thing totally wrong.

Honestly, I would prefer for 5200, Colecovision and SG-1000 to be put in their own generation, and the 3rd and later gens to be pushed up a generation. I think the "current" classification of console generations are very NES-centric, with little regard for the systems preceding it. Despite this, I do think the NES belongs in the generation after 5200 and Colecovision, as NES was the first console released after the video game crash (and yes, I know this is a very Americanized perspective)

#110 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 531 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:28 PM

You should not categorize the systems according to their hardware if you are talking about generations. Timeline should be the only standpoint. But the timeline should be separated according to the evolution of the hardware. So, if you want the generation that involves NES, then you should take consoles being introduced between 1983 and 1985 I suggest. And by looking at Wikipedia I do not see either 5200 or Colecovision listed in there which is according to my view correct.

#111 JoeM_Intellivision OFFLINE  

JoeM_Intellivision

Moonsweeper

• 380 posts

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:42 AM

Definitely Intellivision for me - it's what I got as a kid in 1980 and I also had NO problems with controllers - got used to them very quickly. And as for Stan or anyone else saying that the Inty doesn't have lots of quality games and no reason to own it - simply not true but to each his own. I got the Atari Flashback 4 which I think is cool, but many of the games, especially the sports titles are not playable. I guess it's good to have both since they both offer different games that are good. Just my $.02.

#112 JoeM_Intellivision OFFLINE  

JoeM_Intellivision

Moonsweeper

• 380 posts

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:01 AM

Nice post by BassGuitari - well said!

#113 Special Teams ONLINE  

Special Teams

Chopper Commander

• 141 posts

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:07 AM

Back in the day when I was managing a Musicland store, we had store displays for Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision and Vectrex.  At one time, they were all directly competing with one another.  But we did move the Atari out and ultimately the 2600 games ended up in the cheap bin while the Colecovision and Vectrex still had floor displays.

#114 high voltage ONLINE  

high voltage

River Patroller

• 3,445 posts

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 AM

The VCS even competed with the NES during the latter half of the 80s

#115 high voltage ONLINE  

high voltage

River Patroller

• 3,445 posts

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:24 AM

SMS is a progression of the SG-1000, which is pretty much a Colecovision without system rom, and no keypads on the controllers. However, the SMS graphics chip has some significant improvements over the old TMS9918 line of graphics chips, including a larger palette, multicolor tiles and sprites and hardware scrolling.

Honestly, I would prefer for 5200, Colecovision and SG-1000 to be put in their own generation, and the 3rd and later gens to be pushed up a generation. I think the "current" classification of console generations are very NES-centric, with little regard for the systems preceding it. Despite this, I do think the NES belongs in the generation after 5200 and Colecovision, as NES was the first console released after the video game crash (and yes, I know this is a very Americanized perspective)

NES was released in 1983 as the Famicom, but it was made available in 1986 in the USA as the NES. The Atari 2600 was released in 1977 in the USA but it was made available in 1982 in Japan as the 2800. I wouldn't go around saying the VCS was released in 1982.
'Original release date' and 'being made availabe' are not the same.

#116 LidLikesIntellivision OFFLINE  

LidLikesIntellivision

River Patroller

• 2,766 posts
  • Intellividens

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:23 PM

Wow,

I guess we just have the first round ended and it is Intellivision 1 - 0 Atari.

And it is not a matter of personal taste. Look here:

http://atariage.com/...o/#entry2951411

#117 7800 OFFLINE  

Moonsweeper

• 275 posts
  • Miserable SOB

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:58 PM

The Intellevision has way better graphics and sound than the 2600... at least as far as capabilities. Look at Burger Time for INTV, that has to be one of the best translations of the game. Even INTV Defender is briliant!

The controller side buttons are my only gripe, otherwise the disk pad thingy works fine... just feels strange since I've been used to d pads and joysticks all my life.

Intellevision needs some serious home brews and a SD cart. The controller needs a side button modification, an easy press solution would be perfect, like a cherry switch or something.

#118 wolfy62 OFFLINE  

wolfy62

Moonsweeper

• 442 posts

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:21 PM

The Intellivision was and is still the superior system

The only thing the Atari held over the Intellivision was there license to Arcade games.

Other than that, the Intellivision wins hands down. Box art, graphics, game play and yes, controllers too! And all the sports games are so awesome.

#119 LidLikesIntellivision OFFLINE  

LidLikesIntellivision

River Patroller

• 2,766 posts
  • Intellividens

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:29 PM

The Intellevision has way better graphics and sound than the 2600... at least as far as capabilities. Look at Burger Time for INTV, that has to be one of the best translations of the game. Even INTV Defender is briliant!

The controller side buttons are my only gripe, otherwise the disk pad thingy works fine... just feels strange since I've been used to d pads and joysticks all my life.

Intellevision needs some serious home brews and a SD cart. The controller needs a side button modification, an easy press solution would be perfect, like a cherry switch or something.

I agree except for homebrews. There are great homebrews, maybe not in the same quantity as Atari but some Intellivision hombrews are top notch.

I always like to mention 3 great homebrews.

Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost of Christmas Presents

Buy: http://www.leftturno...info/index.html

Download: http://www.carolvsgh...ml#download-rom

Review: http://videogamecrit...istmas_Presents

Video:

DIIK Arcade

Buy: http://www.elektroni.../D2K_Arcade.htm

Review: http://videogamecrit....htm#D2K_Arcade

Video:

Space Patrol

Buy: http://www.leftturno...info/index.html

Review: http://videogamecrit...tm#Space_Patrol

Video:

#120 7800 OFFLINE  

Moonsweeper

• 275 posts
  • Miserable SOB

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:41 PM

Cool, I was unaware of these homebrews.

#121 JoeM_Intellivision OFFLINE  

JoeM_Intellivision

Moonsweeper

• 380 posts

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:53 PM

Agreed - just want to also plug Stonix as well which was an awesome homebrew. In addition, Super Chef Burgertime, Super Pro Tennis, and King of the Mountain. I'm sure I missed some as well just being a bit lazy to think of all of them.

#122 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

Stargunner

• 1,293 posts

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014 2:54 PM

Wow listen to those controllers crunch on the dk2 video!!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users