IGNORED

Here we go . Atari 2600 vs Intellivision

atari5200dude82

i hate this categorization, the 5200 and the 2600 in the same generation makes no sense, as the 5200 is quite literally the next generation atari platform

on the topic, I'd take intellivision over 2600, I'd say the 2600 does have a better line up on a whole, but many of its best games are available in better forms on other classic consoles, the intellivision has some amazing exclusive games

Not every day you get a reply to a 4.5 year old forum post icon_razz.gif Maybe what we need is a generation between the 2nd and 3rd? I think we're stuck at the current numbering though.

Example

Generation 2: Fairchild VES/Channel F, RCA Studio II, Atari 2600, Magnavox Odyssey 2, 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System and clones, Bally Astrocade, Intellivision

Generation 2.5: Colecovision, Atari 5200, Vectrex, Arcadia 2001, the Intellivision III would end up here had it actually been finished and released

Generation 3: NES, Master System, Atari 7800

Not every day you get a reply to a 4.5 year old forum post icon_razz.gif Maybe what we need is a generation between the 2nd and 3rd? I think we're stuck at the current numbering though.

Example

Generation 2: Fairchild VES/Channel F, RCA Studio II, Atari 2600, Magnavox Odyssey 2, 1292 Advanced Programmable Video System and clones, Bally Astrocade, Intellivision

Generation 2.5: Colecovision, Atari 5200, Vectrex, Arcadia 2001, the Intellivision III would end up here had it actually been finished and released

Generation 3: NES, Master System, Atari 7800

Wikipedia used to divide the generations up like that. I never really liked it; the Arcadia was meant to compete with the 2600; the 5200 was meant to compete against the Intellivision. If we divided the generations that way it wouldn't correctly represent what was happening in the market.

If we did divide it that way, wouldn't we need generation 4.5 to cover the CDi, 3DO Jaguar, and other mid-90's systems?

Well, of all the threads that could get a necro-bump, something as classic as a debate between the 2600 and INTV seems worthy.

I'm honestly shocked at how many people can come up with a definitive answer or preference - I can't. Between these two systems you get probably more than 80% of the greatest home games from the pre-crash era!

The VCS of course is legendary. I personally experienced the 2600 first and only played INTV as a kid through friends or family. That being said, the depth that was achieved on some of the INTV games was instantly intriguing even to a child. As an adult, I love collecting and playing games on both systems. I've even built custom controllers for both because both systems' controllers have strengths and weaknesses.

There are so many INTV games that I love, but I will admit that as much as I love it's uniqueness that if you were to remove the 3 D&D games from the library, I think it would lose A LOT of appeal overall.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to consider is that the Intellivision was the only console then that had real exclusives in large quantities.

How are you defining "real exclusive?" The Odyssey 2's library is almost entirely exclusive; aside from Turtles, the two Imagic titles, and the Parker Bros. games that came out overseas, none of its games appeared on any other platform to my knowledge. I've never seen an Astrocade game on any other platform. Ditto for Channel F and Arcadia 2001, although those have pretty small libraries. The Atari VCS's considerable library, even by 1983 or '84, is probably comprised of at least as many exclusives as non-exclusives; for every Space Invaders, there's a Name This Game, Phoenix, Spacechase, Spider Fighter, and Fantastic Voyage.

I think around 40-50 exclusives if I recall. Not to mention it was the first console to try and move away from arcade ports, something people incorrectly give to the NES.

Interestingly, the Intellivision actually moved toward arcade ports as time went on. For its first couple of years it had the strategy and sports titles it was (and still is) known for, with a few arcade-style titles (not ports, mind you) like Astrosmash and Space Armada sprinkled in. Once third parties started working on the Intellivision around 1982, you started seeing a lot more things like Donkey Kong, Venture, Centipede, Pac-Man, Frogger, Q*Bert, etc. Mattel Electronics themselves had Burgertime and Tron. Even after the Crash, INTV Corp. published ports of Pole Position, Commando, and Dig Dug--in, like, 1987--in addition to their original titles and Super Pro sports updates.

When the Intellivision launched in 1980 (test markets don't count), it wasn't that important to have arcade ports because arcade games still tended to be sort of generic; every system had a tank game, a space war game, a paddle ball game, an overhead racing game, etc. But then arcades really blew up with Pac-Man and Space Invaders, and it suddenly became critical to have arcade licenses; Mattel Electronics was either slow to figure this out, or they just couldn't outspend the likes of Atari on licenses. Hence, most of the Intellivision's arcade ports came from third-party publishers, after the system had been around for a couple of years.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

2600 does more with less. They had a bigger library with better games. Intellivision had better graphics and was pretty shit for the most part. Aside from NightStalker, Tower of Doom, Demon Attack, Masters of the Universe, Dracula, 2 D&D games, and what ever that game is with the dragon that chases you in that maze.... There is nothing other than that worth playing. There might be 3 or 4 other games that alot of people find fun but on 2600 there is atleast 100 games or more i can name off the top of my head that will go down as the greatest games ever made. Shark Shark and frog bog are shit games. Dont care what anyone says. Utopia is decent.

I know this isn't really a general comparison of the two systems, but Zaxxon looks and plays a whole lot better on the 2600. The Intellivision is very choppy and blocky.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw how well Zaxxon turned out on the 2600.