It's dangerous. It's mean. It's WAR! And now, you are there!
Your mission? Invade enemy territory and knock out the fortress. To do it, you'll have to travel over tricky terrain and fight against overwhelming odds at every step.
Evade attacks, search and destroy lumbering tanks! Storm the river bridge to face your most difficult challenge: the enemy fort! You must demolish it or die. And if you succeed? A new assignment is yours on another front, against a more experienced army. There's no rest, no relaxation, no letting down your guard. You're in the Army now!
<div class='maintitle'>Game Information</div><div class='borderwrap'><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='row2'><td>
- Game Name: Front Line
- Released By: Coleco, 1984
- Left Difficulty: N / A
- Right Difficulty: N / A
- Game Mode: Skill 1 (Default)
<div class='maintitle'>Challenges</div><div class='borderwrap'><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='row2'><td>
- Military Heroes - Post a picture of a friend or family member in their military uniform, and you get 2 bonus points.
- Miss 2600 [+2]
- Frostbite76 [+2]
- DT Kofoed [+2]
- Progress - For everyone who posted a score before Saturday, improve on your score for bonus points (Not cumulative) :
- Very Easy - 10% improvement - 1 bonus point
- Easy - 25% improvement - 3 bonus point
- Hard - 50% improvement - 6 bonus point
- Dante Must Die - 100% improvement - 10 bonus point
- Gorfy - 29,900 - 33,900 - 40,700 - 54,200 [+3]
- Stan - 25,800 - 29,300 - 35,100 - 46,800 [+6]
- JacobZu7zu7 - 25,500 - 28,900 - 34,700 - 46,200 [+6]
- Frostbite76 - 20,200 - 22,900 - 27,500 - 36,600 [+6]
- roadrunner - 17,000 - 19,300 - 23,100 - 30,800
- Jifremok - 11,900 - 13,500 - 16,200 - 21,600 [+1]
- DT Kofoed - 8800 - 10,000 - 12,000 - 16,000 [+6]
- LarcenTyler - 7500 - 8500 - 10,200 - 13,600
- oyamafamily - 7500 - 8500 - 10,200 - 13,600 [+10]
- Scrabbler15 - 4300 - 4900 - 5900 - 7800 [+6]
<table class='ipbtable'><tr><td><div class='maintitle'>Current High Scores</div><div class="borderwrap"><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='row2'><td width='100%'>
- 40,100 (Stan) [+11]
- 38,900 (JacobZu7zu7) [+10]
- 34,800 (Gorfy) [+9]
- 34,100 (Frostbite76) [+8]
- 27,400 (toymailman) [+7]
- 15,400 (roadrunner) [+6]
- 14,300 (DT Kofoed) [+5]
- 14,000 (oyamafamily) [+4]
- 13,400 (Jifremok) [+3]
- 10,900 (Miss 2600) [+2]
- 10,100 (chuckwalla) [+1]
- 7000 (Scrabbler15) [+1]
- 6800 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
- 5300 (Amstari) [+1]
- 2900 (Vocelli) [+1]
- 1600 (Darth Kinzer) [+1]
- 1300 (classicgamer_27330) [+1]
<div class='maintitle'>Best Tips</div><div class="borderwrap"><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='row2'><td>Stan [+2]</td></tr></table></div>
<div class='maintitle'>TwinGalaxies Top 3</div><div class="borderwrap"><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='darkrow2'><td>(Game 1, Difficulty B)</td></tr><tr class='row2'><td>
- 98,250 (Todd Rogers)
- 36,300 (Alan W Hewston)
- 8700 (Pete Rocha)
- JacobZu7zu7 
- toymailman 
- oyamafamily 
- Frostbite76 
- Gorfy 
- Vocelli 
- DT Kofoed 
- Stan 
- Deteacher 
- Jifremok 
- classicgamer_27330 
- Scrabbler15 
- Miss 2600 
- theKLT 
- Amstari 
- LarcenTyler 
- cparsley 
- roadrunner 
- pokeplayer984 
- SpiceWare 
- pis 
- keilbaca 
- ed1475 
- Mister VCS 
- centiqueen81 
- zylon 
- Krytol 
- Chuck D. Head 
- Wickeycolumbus 
- Cynicaster 
- SeaGtGruff 
- HatefulGravey 
- Curious Sofa 
- Torr 
- littleman jack 
- Darth Kinzer 
- atarigal 
- Cortat G 
- bennybingo 
- rmaerz 
- Zach 
- atariUCLA24 
- dwane413 
- SpaceDice2010 
- MIKE5200 
- Mangia-Boy 
- Buck 
- 4Ks 
- Cream147 
- DickNixonArisen 
- leematari 
- Zoyx 
- Mingy Jongo 
<div class='maintitle'>Scoring Points in Front Line</div><div class='borderwrap'><table class='ipbtable'><tr class='row2'><td>
- You earn 100 points for every enemy eliminated.
- When you complete a round (by destroying the fort), you receive an additional 1000 points times the number of the skill level just completed.
- You start the game with five friendly soldiers and receive a bonus soldier when you
complete a round (up to a maximum of five soldiers in all).
<div class='maintitle'>Hints and Tips</div>
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any specific hints.
We played this game once before in the High Score Club, you might want to check out that thread for more hints.
- I found that avoiding the enemies behind you allows you to progress much further. They have an advantage on you. I like to tie them up in trees, rocks, etc. and keep moving, taking out enemies that appear above. Don't bother with the enemies that appear below you unless they start to get close. It's especially useful in later levels.
- Try to avoid shooting straight on for the most part, unless you're certain you can move out of the way quickly (IE, you're not close to any hazards that slow you down). If you shoot straight on, quickly move out of the way. Later level enemies will fire right back. Angles work best most of the time.
- Soldiers slowed and in trees can't shoot out of them, but you can get them, though typically right before they exit. Use that to your advantage, especially if a lower enemy starts to gain on you.
- Slow tanks are fun, and they give you an extra hit, but I always lose them for the speedy gun tanks.
- When your tank is hit, hold the fire button, you'll exit unscathed.
- The boss on every level cannot be killed by a tank. Hold the fire button to exit, and then toss a grenade at it.
- All enemies do not shoot until they're fully on the screen. You usually have a few quick moments to get in a shot before they enter the screen. This is why the ones that appear behind are at an advantage. Focus on those upper ones, and you will often take them out before they're even fully in view.
- Don't worry about avoiding the bottom-appearing enemies until level 3 or 4. Definitely level 4. It's best in that level to just keep pushing forward. The enemies move and shoot too damn fast and you're too slow. Level 3 is still manageable to get the bottom-appearing enemies, but by 4 forget it in most cases unless you're in Speedy (the small tank).
- Jacob's approach is VERY useful for score collecting. Any time enemy swarms appear on screen, spend time carefully taking out EVERY enemy you see. After each wave is killed you have a few moments before another is going to appear, and you can progress during those times. This enables you a generally safe run through levels 1 and 2, and somewhat safe but occasionally dangerous run through 3, and an impossible run through 4.
- If you get to level 4, JUST RUN. Take out upper-appearing enemies and don't even bother with those below. Run for your dear life. I just ALMOST beat level 4, so I don't know what comes after, but if it's like Gorfy says you can rack up serious points afterwards. Just RUN. Find Speedy, and fly!!!
At the starting forest, go up the middle most of the time so you can shoot either up/left or up/right at the troopers. If they are in tree... go up to their eye level, stay even with them and shoot into the tree untill it takes. Don't overwalk! the second you see an enemy soldier, stop moving and fire diagonal/up.
Sometimes a tactic for Tanks AND enemy troops is, when moving... wiggle the joystick left/right. So, you will be harder to focus on. (In a big tank don't) normally if you are in a scary spot, it's better to circle a lot, or move away in a hurry, upward.
When driving a tank in level 3.. try to stay in the middle at the desert zone and watch out for tanks already shooting diagonal on arrival. This is usually what does me in.