IGNORED

Is there a list of Wii games that use the Classic or Classic Pro controller

First let me be clear. I do not currently own a Wii. That said, I have the same plans for the Wii as did for just about every console I own today which is pick one up at some point cheaply with a bunch of games/accessories once it has been replaced by the next generation of console.

HOWEVER. I am not into the whole Wiimote / Nunchuk or whatever the terms are (forgive my lack of Wii Knowledge) I have played several titles at friends and relatives. I can see getting it for the must have, must play games as well as emulators and any other use I can make out of it. I would prefer to use the Classic controller or Classic Controller Pro (are they both compatible?) or even Gamecube controllers. So, I would like to know what are all the games, emulators, down-loadable games that can make use of the Classic/Pro controllers or even Gamecube controllers? I want to avoid using anything wireless as much as possible THANKS!

I'm not sure if such a list exists or not as I've never looked for one. But maybe Wikipedia or one of the gaming sites has put one together. I'll keep an eye out as I browse.

But if you don't want to use the Wii-mote/Nunchuk for gameplay, then you are going to miss out on a lot of the systems best games, especially first party Nintendo titles: Super Mario Wii, Galaxy 1 and 2, Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Punch Out, and many others do not support the classic controller.

Newer 3rd party FPS games.... like Call of Duty, GoldenEye, Conduit.... and Capcom's Monster Hunter Tri do give you the option of using the Classic/Pro-controller (I believe either one can be used as they are treated the same within games) rather than the Wii-mote/Nunchuk.

Also, the Classic and Pro-Controllers plug into the wireless Wii-mote, not the system. So you won't be getting away from "wireless" controllers on the Wii.

Mendon

Also, the Classic and Pro-Controllers plug into the wireless Wii-mote, not the system. So you won't be getting away from "wireless" controllers on the Wii.

Mendon

That's cool, I do not mind as long as I can use the classic/Pro controllers for gameplay. What I meant about getting away from wireless was waving around the wiimote to control the game once started thanks!

Mendon

That's cool, I do not mind as long as I can use the classic/Pro controllers for gameplay. What I meant about getting away from wireless was waving around the wiimote to control the game once started thanks!

Just as an FYI... I understand your aversion to waving the wiimote around. However, there are plenty of games that make great use of the Wiimote controller with more subdued, natural movements... the Mario Galaxy games are a good example. You control them fairly traditionally with the nunchuck thumbstick but a little bit of motion control comes into the gameplay. Also, the wiimote is great for "lightgun" games like House of the Dead. I've been having a blast with Metroid Prime 3 that uses a great combination of thumbstick and pointing/aiming with the motion control. First person shooters take on a new life with the Wii. I'm like you... more of a classic gaming guy and wasn't big on the idea of waving my controller around like a lunatic. I was surprised at just how subtle your movements can be in most games and it really adds to the immersion.

One game that's great with the Classic Controller, though, is Wii MarioKart. You can use motion control or control it with a more traditional controller, too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mendon

all the emulators i found us the classic controllers. however, wii2600 (better stella) cannot play paddle games with the pro version.. for some reason the analog does not work on it. the original classic controller does

There's no way that list even represents 10% of the retail library for the Wii that has classic controller and sometimes GameCube controller support. Missing scores of games that would possibly be of interest to an AtariAge user, such as Data East Arcade Classics (Which supports both).

Perhaps we would be better off compiling a list of retail games that we have found to use the classic controller in our own experiences. So these are the games that I have played that support the Classic Controller.

Mario Kart Wii - Classic and Gamecube

Monster Hunter Tri - Classic

Sin and Punishment - Classic and Gamecube

Super Smash Bros Brawl - Classic and Gamecube

Now to the OP, I get you don't care for waggling, but how about the games that simply use the Wiimote sideways like an NES controller? Most use the remote for at least one gimmick (shake the controller to butt-stomp) but are otherwise controlled fairly traditionally.

Donkey Kong Country Returns

New Super Mario Bros Wii

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension

• 2 weeks later...

I really have no problem holding the Wii-mote like an NES controller. The Wii-mote I use the most has built in Wii Motion Plus and I keep the protective sleeve on it and have found that its quite comfortable and easy to use in this manner.

I don't keep the sleeve on it for safety reasons but because its easier and less slippery to grip.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

• 4 weeks later...

Request filled!

Go here! http://www.gametdb.com/Wii/Search

First change type: to WIi, next scroll down to classic controller press optional middle dot, last scroll back up and hit the search button! This will give you a list of all games that work with the classic controller. Try the search again with the gamecube controller and so on! Click on a game and it will show you the artwork and information about the game! This is most accurate Wii data base around!

Closed!

• Like 1

Request filled!

First change type: to WIi, next scroll down to classic controller press optional middle dot, last scroll back up and hit the search button! This will give you a list of all games that work with the classic controller. Try the search again with the gamecube controller and so on! Click on a game and it will show you the artwork and information about the game! This is most accurate Wii data base around!

Closed!

GREAT post and many Thanks for the info & link!!!

Mendon

Request filled!

Closed!

Awesome thanks.

Is Gamecube game and controller still supported in the Wii consoles that are being sold currently? I thought that this funcionality was being removed from European consoles, but I hadn't heard about US Wiis, and if so, when.

The non-Game Cube supported Wii consoles are now on U.S. store shelves.

There may be a way to tell the difference between the two consoles by using a "serial number" series or by a "manufactured date" or it may even say something about "GameCube Support" on the box. But I do know that if you look at the picture on the Wii box, you can tell the difference:

If it shows the console sitting upright in the clear, plastic base then its the older Wii that has GameCube support.

If it shows the console laying flat, then its the new non-GameCube supported Wii.

In a thread I made titled "Walmart Black Friday Ad", the Blue Wii that is pictured as on sale on Black Friday for $99 is the new, non-GameCube supported Wii. I'm putting a picture here of the new, non-GameCube supported Wii box.

Mendon

post-3103-0-83650600-1320978952_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Did they have the blue disc slot before this? Mine from several years ago doesn't.

If that's something new with this revision, it makes for an easy way to identify it.

It's there, but generally it's not used for anything besides giving off a short blink at startup. It also lights up for a short moment after a game disk has been inserted or while a disc is ejected (at least on my 2009 PAL Wii).

Edited by per

Did they have the blue disc slot before this? Mine from several years ago doesn't.

If that's something new with this revision, it makes for an easy way to identify it.

It's there, but generally it's not used for anything besides giving off a short blink at startup. It also lights up for a short moment after a game disk has been inserted or while a disc is ejected (at least on my 2009 PAL Wii).

I think it's also supposed to glow even if the console is off, if you have messages waiting for you. I'm not sure what kind of messages you'd have though.

• 2 years later...

New to Wii2600 and need a bit of help.

We have the emulator up and running, games all work smoothly with Wii Remove or our new Wii Pro Controller Plus with the analog sticks.

The issue is when we try to use the Left Analog stick on the Pro Controller Plus in Wii2600, it doesn't work, only the "D-pad" does? The remote is working and has been tested with regular Wii games and works fine.

Is there a setting or something I'm missing?

Edited by Brucered

Since this was bumped, I wasn't talking about the disc drive message lighting. There's actual blue plastic around the disc drive opening, something not present during the Wii's earlier years.

Not sure if that came about before the Wii revision that initially dropped backwards compatibility (We now have a 3rd Wii revision with the Wii Mini), or if appeared simultaneously with the revision.

If it was new with that revision, it's another easy identifying mark along with the changed orientation of the Wii lettering (Which was oriented for the system to sit vertically on a stand for the initial version) and the presence of the GCN ports on the side to tell the two apart.

d6IDp.jpg

And that link is also missing games. No Data East Arcade Classics was again listed making me suspect they took data off Wikipedia and stopped and I also noticed that just Namco Museum Remix was listed (No MegaMix). Bet there's a lot that's absent if I were to go digging.

Edited by Atariboy