IGNORED

XBLA Game Prices Are Rising

Mendon

From Joystiq.....

"While the majority of XBLA games are still in the 800-point-and-under bracket, XBLA's Portfolio Director Chris Charla admits that the number of over-1,200-point titles in the service's library has been steadily increasing. During an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Charla said that XBLA's pricing trends are "a little bit of the opposite" of what one might normally see in an app-store ecosystem, where historically, pricing structures have entered "a race to zero as fast as possible."

So far, 2011 has seen 20 1,200-plus games land on XBLA. In 2010, 27 of the 85 games released for the service cost 1,200 points or more, an 8 percent increase over 2009, during which 21 out of 86 titles hit that price point. Charla attributes the gradual pricing increase to an increase in the number of quality titles on the platform: "I think the games that we're shipping -- a Limbo or a Castle Crashers -- are as good as anything on the market." He went on to say that while it's "really gratifying" to know that gamers are willing to pay a "premium" for digital content, it is the market that decides what direction prices will go."

I know that some people object to XBLA or PSN or Wii Shop pricing, saying the asking prices are often too high. Some seem to think that because its a downloadable game that it should be super cheap and never over $10.

But I've never really felt this way because I consider the amount of time I play a game and the amount of enjoyment I get to be the deciding factor in price, not whether its a XBLA purchase or not. I've purchased games for $15 from XBLA or PSN and gotten much more game time and enjoyment from them than I have some of the $60 disk based games I've purchased.

PopCap can release Bejeweled or Plants vs Zombies at $20 and people seem to be okay with that. But yet some people complain that a $15 purchase for Torchlight or Defense Grid on XBLA is a consumer ripoff. I don't understand.

Are XBLA, PSN, and Wii Shop games REALLY priced too high?

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Am I the only person who feels that an XBLA game is really just a rental? I bought the excellent game Shadow Complex for $15 and loved it to death, but I don't actually consider it part of my permanent collection..because I don't have a physical box for it! I have yet to pay $15 for any other game on the X360.

However, on my iPad and iPhone, I download several $1~$3 games all the time, because the price is right for something I consider temporary.

• Like 2

Am I the only person who feels that an XBLA game is really just a rental? I bought the excellent game Shadow Complex for $15 and loved it to death, but I don't actually consider it part of my permanent collection..because I don't have a physical box for it! I have yet to pay $15 for any other game on the X360.

However, on my iPad and iPhone, I download several $1~$3 games all the time, because the price is right for something I consider temporary.

I feel the same way, You only OWN the right to play them. You cant ever sell them to try to recoup your original investment.

Same goes for Wii and PS3 and every other downloadable games.

Of course they're getting higher. As we all predicted back in 2008 with "Braid" being $15, they were just slowly testing the waters for the introduction of the new desired pricing standard, thereby introducing the slippery slope for all future high-profile download games, and that means a cool 15 buckaroos. :lol:

But yes.. that is still too high for me for the simple reason it's not physical media.

Even now in 2011, I have a hard time keeping track of my purchases in Xbox Live. It was only last week when I remembered "hey.. I bought "Band of Bugs" a long time ago!" and I realized I had never re-downloaded it on my newer 360's. Yes I can view the stuff in my purchase history, but as that list grows and grows it just gets harder (and time-consuming) to make sure I get all the games I purchased as I migrate from console to console. And what about the games I bought that are no longer available anymore due to licensing issues or poor sales? Will those still be available? It's a hassle as the years go by.

Bottom line.. I think downloadable games should be relatively cheap. $10 is my ceiling :)

• Like 1

Oh and also I'm having a hard time remembering on what account I bought some titles. I could have sworn I bought Military Madness on Xbox Live but couldn't see it in my download history. Turns out I did buy it but on another Xbox Live account I had used for a year. I was able to get it back by logging into that account, but there lies another wrinkle to downloadable titles.. especially for people like me who feel no loyalty to a single online identity (I have 2 active xbox live accounts and more than a dozen non-active ones.. don't ask). :lol:

I've taken a pass on several titles because of their 1200 point asking price.

If a game is 800 points or lower then I will consider buying it, 1200 point I have a hard time with. I guess because it's DLC.

Luckily a lot of 1200 point games eventually become a Deal of the Week, so many 1200 point games are now in my virtual collection.

Luckily a lot of 1200 point games eventually become a Deal of the Week, so many 1200 point games are now in my virtual collection.

Exactly. Wait for the 1200 pt game to go on sale for 600-800 points (err or lets just cut to the chase: $7.50 - $10). And bam I'm game. :)

Edited by NE146

I actually forget about most of my downloaded games on 360 strictly because I don't have a box for it. I'll buy one that's fun, like say Magic Sword/Final Fight...and completely forget about it the next day, in fact I think I played it once and only remembering that I have it right now.

Ah well, I've actually unplugged my Xbox 360 and haven't turned it on in months. I'm so ready for a new console generation. I'm used to getting something new every 4-5 years max, this new endless life span sucks.

• Like 2

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but some of you are saying that $15 for a XBLA title (or PSN or Wii Shop) is too much because its not physical media?

If so, does this mean that unless ANY downloadable game is under $15 (1200 points) you don't buy it? You don't buy Games on Demand on XBL or full games like Infamous 2 on PSN because they are over $15 and downloadable?

When the two Residents Evil HD remakes are released later this year, you won't buy them because they aren't physical media and are priced at more than $10?

just trying to understand your posts......

Mendon

If they raise prices...more and more games and game developers are going to go to the tank because I feel as of right now......there's too many downloadable games out there. There's just too many. We as consumers are going to get more and more picky as its starting to affect the wallet.

Personally I dont get titles either if they are 1200 points or more because I just cant afford it all and more often than not it seems they are not worth it. I always look for a sale or a break and another reason I subscribed to Sony's Plus. "Here's 50 bucks. Just give some free games every month."

Too many downloadable games. It all adds up over time and you look at your bank account and freak out at how much you may spend on them every week or every month.

I also dont mind having a physical copy. It would be nice but it seems we're heading the way of the downloadable.

I know what Mendon is saying...there are exceptions. Games that are WORTH the money but to me it seems there's way more right now that are not.

Besides lots of first rate physical titles go down to 29,20 bucks or cheaper anyway!

Edited by cimerians

Mendon

What I feel is that downloading isn't really "ownership" and therefore not worth much more than $10 bucks, because that's a LOT for a rental. Maybe it's because I can't backup my X360 to another computer or DVD. It's odd, because I don't feel that way about Steam on a computer! But Steam does allow full backup. I also don't feel that way about an expansion pack, like with Oblivion or Mass Effect... There is something about the high price and non-physical aspect of the download.

Also, I have never bought a full retail release on X360, and if I did I certainly wouldn't include it in my "collection". I am a video game collector and I like things like packaging, cover art, manuals. I like how a game looks on my shelf!

I can point you to this link of my collection of more than 1,100 games and if you were at my house, I could whip out every single box or cartridge!

I'm used to getting something new every 4-5 years max, this new endless life span sucks.

What!!!??? These long lifespans RULE!

Everyone knows (but I'll say it for the sake of a complete argument) that the improvement curve is considerably more shallow with each generation. Since they're playing in 1080p and the textures do look pretty awesome, what more is there? "My new photo-reality looks better than my old photo-reality" or something like that? I suppose they might be able to squeeze in a little better shading/textures, but you're going to have to look awfully hard for it, and most people won't know it. So spending hundreds of $$$ for something that really won't look noticeably better??

Also, since backward compatibility is passe now, you'll have to either have 2 systems to accomodate your marginally-improved graphics, or lose your old library. There's a lot of fun stuff on the 360!

Also, since it seems it's not possible to have a decent-quality launch model console, it's going to take 3 or 4 redesigns to get a reliable model? Oh no, not again!!!!

Of course, I could be wrong, but I kind of like the long life!

• Like 3

So... can you still play your Xbox Live titles off the hard drive if your subscription isn't paid up? I enjoy Wii and iOS games because they are perminent, more or less. Is it the same with downloaded Xbox content? I am considering getting a hard drive for the 360, and this would be the deciding factor.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but some of you are saying that $15 for a XBLA title (or PSN or Wii Shop) is too much because its not physical media?

If so, does this mean that unless ANY downloadable game is under $15 (1200 points) you don't buy it? You don't buy Games on Demand on XBL or full games like Infamous 2 on PSN because they are over $15 and downloadable?

When the two Residents Evil HD remakes are released later this year, you won't buy them because they aren't physical media and are priced at more than $10?

Mendon

It's very rare that I'll pay $15 for an XBLA title. There have been a few exceptions, but I usually end up wishing I had just waited for the eventual sale price.

As for Games on Demand, I believe each and every one could be gotten cheaper - and in physical form - in your local game shop!

And as for the RE remakes, there is Zero chance of me buying them as I have both for the original consoles. If they were physical copies, I would likely rent them as they both look like easy 1000/1000 games. (On a side note, I thought Microsoft pushed for retail games to have 50 achievements for the 1,000. Both REs have the XBLA standard 12, but for 1,000 points.)

So... can you still play your Xbox Live titles off the hard drive if your subscription isn't paid up? I enjoy Wii and iOS games because they are perminent, more or less. Is it the same with downloaded Xbox content? I am considering getting a hard drive for the 360, and this would be the deciding factor.

You can still play MOST XBLA titles offline (I think there are a few Capcom games that require an internet connection)

Be aware that Indie games will not work offline, though.

You don't have to have a Gold subscription to buy them or play them. You have to be connected to the net to play Indie games though. Xbox Live Arcade titles can be played offline on one console and online on any console as long as you're logged in to Xbox Live.

Since they're playing in 1080p and the textures do look pretty awesome, what more is there? "My new photo-reality looks better than my old photo-reality" or something like that? I suppose they might be able to squeeze in a little better shading/textures, but you're going to have to look awfully hard for it, and most people won't know it. So spending hundreds of $$$ for something that really won't look noticeably better??

1) They don't have to look 10x better to play 10x better

2) Screw photoreality; I want super-drug-o-vision. I want wild visuals that can't exist in reality. And THAT can keep improving.

• Like 1

I feel the same way, You only OWN the right to play them. You cant ever sell them to try to recoup your original investment.

Same goes for Wii and PS3 and every other downloadable games.

Actually, even then you're only renting the right to play them. When the service abandons the platform (360, PS3, etc) you'd better hope the last console it's downloaded on will last longer than your desire to play the game...

• Like 1

If its a re-release game I don't want to spend $10 on it. I don't mind $15 for a great game though. Shadow Complex was great, and I know I have more then $15 in Trails HD by now to name a few. I would love to have these games on a disc for the future but I really can't. Well, you can get Trails but I don't think it had the expansions that add so much to it.

I too think of it as a rental, because its about that reliable. Its a long term rental but a rental none-the-less.

Part of this is you spend money to buy the game, then you spend time downloading it, and then you use HDD to store the game. Sometimes the game is just too large for me to download. I don't like to leave my systems on and downloading while I'm out of the house because I don't like having them on for no reason for the 3 hours after the download and before I get home from work. Often if I'm in the mood to play a game I think about XBLA stuff I have heard of, then I check the game and find that its 1.7gigs and the download time will be a while and just do something else. When they get faster internet speeds to me I'll be a little more ok with this I guess.

Game expansions bother me more then DLC games in total. Because in 10 years I might want to play Fallout 3 again, and I'll remember a time that I didn't have to stop short of winning the game to keep playing and the level cap being 30 but I wont have access to that part. At least with Shadow Complex I can just remember how great the game was but I wont have half of the game to taunt me.

• Like 1

Part of this is you spend money to buy the game, then you spend time downloading it, and then you use HDD to store the game. Sometimes the game is just too large for me to download. I don't like to leave my systems on and downloading while I'm out of the house because I don't like having them on for no reason for the 3 hours after the download and before I get home from work. Often if I'm in the mood to play a game I think about XBLA stuff I have heard of, then I check the game and find that its 1.7gigs and the download time will be a while and just do something else. When they get faster internet speeds to me I'll be a little more ok with this I guess.

On the Xbox 360 you can have your console download stuff and turn itself off when it's done. Just go to Settings, System Settings, Console Settings, Startup and Shutdown, Background Downloads.

Turn Background Downloads to "On". When you turn off your 360 the dot will blink and the 360 will continue to download whatever is downloading in what's basically a power save state and then it'll shutdown when it's completed that task.

• Like 1

I refuse to pay more than a couple of bucks for any game not on physical media. I've never purchased a game from XBLA for this very reason. Shadow Complex is tempting. Maybe if it were to go on sale for $7-$8, I'd consider downloading it with the idea that it was a very expensive rental, but at $15--no way, no how. The only things I've purchased from XLBA were the Mass Effect 2 DLCs, but I waited until they went on sale for a couple of bucks each during last year's New Years sale. I would have much preferred to pick up an "ultimate" edition of ME 2, with all the DLC included on disc, but evidently Bioware EA has decided such a release, at least for the 360, will not be forthcoming.

I'm so ready for a new console generation. I'm used to getting something new every 4-5 years max, this new endless life span sucks.

I too am burnt out on this generation. So far, everything I was looking forward to this year has turned out to be crap, and every other release this year is just another sequel. I can't believe the plan is to have this generation continue on for another three years(!). Take Halo 4 for instance. As much as I love the Halo universe, I can't believe they're rebooting the franchise on this generation of hardware.

It's down to Deus Ex and Skyrim for me this year, and ME 3 next, and let me tell you, they all better exceed my every expectation. After those games, this generation, in a practical sense, is done for me.