IGNORED

Vintage games on Pawnstars, Auction Hunters, ETC

Hardcore Pawn is fake, and so is Storage Wars. It seems when someone got fired they told the truth, in Storage Wars items are planted. Meanwhile in real life, it's illegal to sell rights to a storage locker without them seeing it first. That is what I was told by an employee from a storage company who recently had this auction. Another fact 90% of the items in lockers set for auction are usually filled with garbage.

Another fact 90% of the items in lockers set for auction are usually filled with garbage.

Yep, makes sense too. If someone can afford thousands of dollars in antiques, collectibles, high end furniture, commercial goods, and other baubles, they have money for storage fees. The ones who can't afford storage fees would also be the ones who can't afford nice things to be stored in said lockers.

In more news for this thread, did anyone happen to see Pawn Stars last night? Someone brought in (2) Nintendo World Championship games. One grey and one gold. I think he wanted $30,000 for both if I recall correctly. Of course the shop didn't even get close to that and he ended up keeping them. I was shocked that he had both though. He had documentation showing he had purchased them from a contest finalist.

I just watched that one online, having no idea what the clip contained until after I started it. I just knew it was Pawn Stars and I wanted to check it out for the first time. Chum was more generous than I would have been. I'd have flat told him he should go sell the carts himself because he'd get a lot closer to his asking price. Of course, even from the show, I still don't know if they're real. I'd have wanted to open them and verify that the boards were authentic before making any kind of deal on 'em. You have to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that these things are real. Also, you gotta power 'em up, too.

Also, I don't think his documentation showed any kind of serial number. The gray one was serialized, but I didn't see in the mag where there was a number. he'd said they were sold to a local game store who called him and re sold them. It sounded to me like he had just enough to make them look and seem real, but nothing more.

Edited by shadow460

Man, and I even thought Pawn Stars would be legit, to a degree. This experiment with Pat though definitely shows that it's staged (at least in this particular case). When I heard that Pat was going to be on the show, I assumed it would be him acting as an appraiser, not as someone trying to sell his rarities. Can't trust anything on TV these days, I suppose. ;)

A final word on what something is worth: this is a cliche, I know but...

An item is only worth what somebody will pay for it. That's it. All ya gotta know. Just because somebody sold something for such and such on ebay doesn't mean you will too. On the same note, you might get MORE...who knows?

These shows are all staged. I wish they weren't, but since when was shit in real life more exciting than how shit is portrayed on tv? It ain't. That's why you don't see shows like The Apprentice that often.

My only wish with Storage Wars was that there should be an outright disclaimer. We all know shit's manipulated (it's been that way since the first episode of Survivor 13 years ago), but if you're going to go to the lengths of running up TALLIES at the end of each and every episode, showing 'exactly' how much these guys made (or lost), then it 'should' be somewhat real.

These reality shows in general can kiss both cheeks of my ass, no pun intended.

• Like 1

Hardcore Pawn is fake, and so is Storage Wars. It seems when someone got fired they told the truth, in Storage Wars items are planted. Meanwhile in real life, it's illegal to sell rights to a storage locker without them seeing it first. That is what I was told by an employee from a storage company who recently had this auction. Another fact 90% of the items in lockers set for auction are usually filled with garbage.

The laws probably vary from state to state. Judging by what I've seen while cleaning out apartments, you're right. Most of the stuff that's left behind is just plain trash. Anyone with half a brain cell in their head is gonna know better than to put valuable stuff in a storage locker. In an apartment, they know to grab the valuable stuff and split the day before their eviction. There's no way I'd walk into an abandoned storage locker and expect to find anything worth several hundred dollars. I'd be surprised in the first place if there was anything in there that could be sold at all.

lol, maybe one day I should walk into a pawn shop with my LaserActive and try to pawn it for what it's actually worth. I could get a good laugh from that.

I was a player at Storage/Estate Auctions long before these shows ruined everything, and that is how the auctions went, at least the storage ones. We were not allowed to go in under any circumstance.