Photo

How Far Would You Go?

23 replies to this topic

#1 strider OFFLINE  

strider

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 7:22 PM

Just heard second-hand about a Craigslist horror story. The story goes that this guy is looking for some side work on Craigslist and he comes upon an ad for a roofing job. In the ad it says you will be compensated well or something to that effect. So he gets to the guy's house and they talk about the job for a bit and the guy agrees to do it. So then the house owner, who by the way looks creepy as heck they told me, with large out of date glasses and beady eyes, asks the guy if he'd like his payment now. The guy looks at him and says, "you pay me when the job is done." And the guy is like, "you must have misunderstood my ad. My payment is sex." Well the guy is freaked the heck out, calls the guy a sicko or freak or whatever, and gets out of there. He reported this to the police and the guy is apparently in alot of crap for this.

This got me thinking about some of my own encounters hunting Atari 2600 through Craigslist, and how awkward they could have been (luckily all of mine have been ok thus far).

So my question to you is this: how far will you go for that ultra rare 10 game? Are random sex acts with strangers of the same sex out of the question?

#2 toiletunes OFFLINE  

toiletunes

Stargunner

• 1,401 posts
  • Custom Status

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 7:37 PM

Not that far, that's for sure. (insert shingles joke)

#3 20ohm20 OFFLINE  

20ohm20

Dragonstomper

• 534 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 7:59 PM

I spent about 10 minutes in the most disgusting house I've ever been in for a cheap Apple //gs and a like-new, boxed Commodore 64C.

Are random sex acts with strangers of the same sex out of the question?

Absolutely.

#4 Miss 2600 OFFLINE  

Miss 2600

River Patroller

• 2,353 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 8:14 PM

(insert shingles joke)

LOL, +1 for that!

#5 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts
  • I'll rebuild it in 3 days

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 8:23 PM

That depends on the title.

Pics or it didn't happen. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AX

#6 Metal Jesus OFFLINE  

Metal Jesus

Dragonstomper

• 581 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 8:28 PM

I bought my 7800 from a guy who was living in a crappy trailer park, with a double-wide, sagging roof and dark little rooms. I was leaving with my box of Atari goodness, when he asked to show me some programs he had written. "...ok..." He proceeds to fire up his 8088 PC with a Turbo button on the front (I kid you not!). He then runs these funky math-based programs in assembly language that he claims "I will present to Bill Gates soon for solving some of the world's biggest problems". He just starred at the green monitor as though he was reading sanskrit written by God himself. I nodded politely and kept my eyes on the door, as I have seen Pulp Fiction and I don't think ball gags and leather masks are my "thing".

It was the weirdest CL meetup I have ever had. I was very glad to leave with all my limbs attached.

#7 Cebus Capucinis OFFLINE  

Cebus Capucinis

Not-so-secretly Trolling

• 8,013 posts
  • Wiseass Extraordinaire

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 8:29 PM

No, but then again, some of us don't even need "payment" or "Atari" involved in the first place. :ponder:

#8 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Quadrunner

• 8,587 posts
  • \m/

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 8:38 PM

No. Just make sure it's not a Hoser first.

#9 tz101 OFFLINE  

tz101

River Patroller

• 2,138 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 8:50 PM

I bought my Sega Master System from a greasy looking tattooed guy who lived down in the hood of a city I am unfamiliar with. It was about 1-1/2 hours from my house, but I got it for $20 which I thought was reasonable. The guy didn't try any funny stuff, but his house had a horrendous odor inside. I was glad to get out of there alive.

#10 AtariLeaf ONLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• 8,476 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 8:54 PM

This is why I like meeting in public places. I've bought and sold via Kijiji and have had exchanges at the local mall. Works very well and I haven't had any offers of sexual solicitation nor have I had to offer it myself. . . yet.

#11 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 24,853 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 8:59 PM

I'd suck the green off a garden hose for a one-way trip back to 1982. If anyone has a time machine, send me a PM. :D

#12 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Quadrunner

• 8,587 posts
  • \m/

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 9:02 PM

I'd suck the green off a garden hose for a one-way trip back to 1982. If anyone has a time machine, send me a PM. :D

Sounds like you could get screwed the short end of the stick a risky proposition: you'd have to pay first without really knowing if the time machine worked.

Edited by rmaerz, Fri Aug 5, 2011 9:02 PM.

#13 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 11:32 PM

PM sent! :lust:

#14 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Fri Aug 5, 2011 11:59 PM

I'll eat the golden ax's corn while backin89 rides my bike for an Air Raid.

#15 strider OFFLINE  

strider

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2011 12:30 AM

But if you were good on it anyway - would you still try to lowball him?

#16 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2011 12:43 AM

But if you were good on it anyway - would you still try to lowball him?

I don't comprehend this question.

#17 Rom Hunter ONLINE  

Rom Hunter

VCS Games Archivist

• 8,148 posts
  • Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2011 11:18 AM

No. Just make sure it's not a Hoser first.

LOL

8)

#18 revolutionika OFFLINE  

revolutionika

Quadrunner

• 10,454 posts

Posted Sat Aug 6, 2011 11:43 AM

Last night i found a white tipped hose in my back yard along side an empty bottle of lube and some burned tire tracks.

#19 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts
  • I'll rebuild it in 3 days

Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011 12:28 AM

Last night i found a white tipped hose in my back yard along side an empty bottle of lube and some burned tire tracks.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 330597804252

They are still cheaper than a CIB Air Raid.

AX

#20 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011 12:58 AM

If I had a time machine I would own all the Air Raids sealed.

#21 Seob OFFLINE  

Seob

River Patroller

• 2,150 posts

Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011 6:06 AM

Air raid is worth a lot because only a few copies have survived. If you would own a whole lot of cib air raids that would drop the price, wouldn't it!

Seeing the downfall of the economy, i think sex for services is only getting more usual. I've read an article in a local dutch magazine, and it's far from uncommon as own would think. But since we aren't looking for those add, we won't notice them.

#22 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011 7:09 AM

It had a very limited distribution. More would survive but they would still be rare and being sealed would add to the value. Also, I would get all of the rarity 10s and prototypes. Imaging 30 years of Atari Collecting and not one person found one but they knew they existed. Then I show up with pictures of them all. They would be 30 years old but look like they were made yesterday. None have been opened or played. It would appear that they have been in a vault for 30 years. I think they would be very valuable. Besides, who said anything about selling them?

#23 Seob OFFLINE  

Seob

River Patroller

• 2,150 posts

Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011 10:23 AM

30 years and not sharing it with this lovely community. Shame on you ;) .

#24 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011 3:14 PM

30 years and not sharing it with this lovely community. Shame on you ;) .

I would just use the,"Look what I found in a Venezuelan warehouse!" excuse that other Atari time travelers use.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users