IGNORED

New Intv Homebrew: DK JR Arcade

Rev

I dont think this is any kind of secret since Carl posted it on his own website. Heads up to Intellivisiondude for finding this.

My link

Sweet. icon_lust.gif

dkjrprev.png

Compared it to the original. Mario looks like a Smurf, thanks again Coleco! icon_rolleyes.gif

Lol, and look at Donkey Kong's face.....icon_neutral.gif

donkey%20kong%20jr.png

Edited by revolutionika

Yah, I really hope Carl is able to make this happen. He's done such a great job with DK, it would be nice to see JR get an upgrade too. :)

I had a feeling he was going to do this game next, Somehow i think you already knew. icon_wink.gif

I just hope it doesnt take 3 or 4 years to get released. icon_razz.gif

• 2 years later...

If this gets finished hopefully not before 2015. It starts to become hard to afford the releases and since many of them are just available for a very short time its tough to get them all. One huge advantage from Elektronite so far, I wish other developers would make it the same way :/

Would love to see this come to fruition. The DK II game is so excellent. Would be great to have this as a perfect companion release.

It may still happen, but would be a few years down the line.

I also seriously doubt it would be a straight arcade port; it would be much more likely that I would write a D2K Junior with new levels but the same classic gameplay and mechanics as the original.

Carl

• Like 8

It may still happen, but would be a few years down the line.

I also seriously doubt it would be a straight arcade port; it would be much more likely that I would write a D2K Junior with new levels but the same classic gameplay and mechanics as the original.

Carl

That would be very cool

• 2 months later...

Sounds great to me. Unlike the original Donkey Kong, the original Donkey Kong Jr was actually a good game. Adding new levels sound likes it would be a lot of fun.

"Unlike the original Donkey Kong"? are you just referring to the Coleco Intellivision version? You can't be talking about Donkey Kong as a game in general not being a good game.

"Unlike the original Donkey Kong"? are you just referring to the Coleco Intellivision version? You can't be talking about Donkey Kong as a game in general not being a good game.

The original port of Donkey Kong for Intellivision was a bad joke played on Mattel to sell Collecovision Boxes. With great promise we'd tossed down 30 bucks and couldn't have imagined a worst port, very hard to play. The Arcade Game was a great game, on the Intellivision it will live in infamy. Donkey Kong jr was a good port…but the bitterness lingers!!!

The original port of Donkey Kong for Intellivision was a bad joke played on Mattel to sell Collecovision Boxes. With great promise we'd tossed down 30 bucks and couldn't have imagined a worst port, very hard to play. The Arcade Game was a great game, on the Intellivision it will live in infamy. Donkey Kong jr was a good port…but the bitterness lingers!!!

I think that most people agree that Coleco Kong sucked. However, I think there is a lot of debate regarding if it was intentional. Carl once told me something to the effect (I am paraphrasing) that he thought that Coleco Kong was so bad, that it would be a snap to improve upon it, but it wasn't as easy as he thought and now has more respect for the original programmer than he did when he started.

I personally think that it was incompetence, and not making the cartridge big enough that caused it to be so bad. What I can't understand is how there are so many copies of the game out there. It is hard to believe that they made so many. It is too bad that the shell can't be recycled.

• Like 1

I think that most people agree that Coleco Kong sucked. However, I think there is a lot of debate regarding if it was intentional. Carl once told me something to the effect (I am paraphrasing) that he thought that Coleco Kong was so bad, that it would be a snap to improve upon it, but it wasn't as easy as he thought and now has more respect for the original programmer than he did when he started.

I personally think that it was incompetence, and not making the cartridge big enough that caused it to be so bad. What I can't understand is how there are so many copies of the game out there. It is hard to believe that they made so many. It is too bad that the shell can't be recycled.

Yeah, you may be right, we have no proof other than the port of Jr was so much better…then again there is a learning curve to everything.

Highly unlikely it was intentionally made bad. Most likely that the programmer had too tight a timeline to get the job done properly, wasn't proficient enough with the hardware, and struggled trying to fit the game into the memory budget. Memory in the cart was a premium commodity back then, asking to increase memory in the cart was an expensive request. The goal was to make money, not necessarily make the best game possible.

Edited by HunterZero

Highly unlikely it was intentionally made bad. Most likely that the programmer had too tight a timeline to get the job done properly, wasn't proficient enough with the hardware, and struggled trying to fit the game into the memory budget. Memory in the cart was a premium commodity back then, asking to increase memory in the cart was an expensive request. The goal was to make money, not necessarily make the best game possible.

I concur. And as for the quantity made, that's easy: they were riding on the franchise. Just like Atari with their E.T. and Pac-Man cartridges, they made truck loads of them because the marketing department expected huge sales, predicated mostly on the names attached to the games--and they were right! It seems apparent that most Intellivision owners purchased Coleco's Donkey Kong. That they were disappointed with it, well that came after the fact.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

What I can't understand is how there are so many copies of the game out there. It is hard to believe that they made so many. It is too bad that the shell can't be recycled.

I'd say more than likely back then people bought the game based on name alone. It wasn't easy to find a review or see gameplay ahead of time back then. You pretty much had to take a chance and hope it was good. The Donkey Kong name was big enough name to sell a ton of copies of a crappy port. Look at Pac-Man on the 2600. People talk so bad about that game but it was also the best selling games on the system. Go figure. lol