IGNORED

Safe to use to polish?

Jr. Pac

Is this safe to spray on a cuetip and scrub on Atari switches?

You mean the cosmetic part of the switch you touch with your finger? Sure, but Windex or Fantastic would work even better and not leave a typical greasy Pledge feel.

If you're talking about the internals of the switch itself, best use rubbing alcohol or electrical contact or tuner cleaner.

BTW: you don't really want to polish black plastic. What'll end up happening is you'll end up with some shiny and smooth spots, where other parts will look dull. In other words, leave that thang alone! lol

Yup, that happened to the bottom of this one. It got an odd finish. Good thing I'm getting replacement parts! Funny thing is, I just got Windex today and this. Thanks for the tip.

I'm trying to make the outer part look new. I'm trying not only to clean it, but make them super shiny as if they were new.

Take the case apart, spray the top and bottom of the case with Simple Green and let it soak in lukewarm water for at least an hour. Rinse and let air dry.

That'll get the case nice and clean.

I've done that on smoky ColecoVision cases and it works like a champ.

I'm not asking how to clean the case, I'm asking how to clean switches. ;) I already submerge the parts in hot water. It's unnoticable on it because it's only on the very bottom. The top looks brand spankin' new.

I don't think Ataris were ever really shiny. They were always sort of a dull black. If you want it shiny, I've used armor-all wipes (not spray) and they work pretty well.

$4 at the local automotive store for some aluminum cleaner/polish will be plenty to take care of your switches.

Thanks. I don't know why I want to clean the case to make it look shiny. It looks like original Atari. Shoot, we went to the store mainly for that. :P Is it safe to breathe aluminum polisher? I almost got Brasso and my parents said no because it's bad to breathe.

My dad also said it's unhealthy to handle and breathe and clean the PCB boards and he does it all the time..

Edited by Jr. Pac

Thanks. I don't know why I want to clean the case to make it look shiny. It looks like original Atari. Shoot, we went to the store mainly for that. :P Is it safe to breathe aluminum polisher? I almost got Brasso and my parents said no because it's bad to breathe.

My dad also said it's unhealthy to handle and breathe and clean the PCB boards and he does it all the time..

The worst things I can think of about working with electronics are smoke inhalation and burns from soldering, and scraping yourself on solder joints. Sure, there are things on the boards that are "dangerous". Flux and lead mainly, but nothing I would be too concerned about healthwise, unless you find you have an allergy to electronics. If it's so important, do your work in a ventilated area, wear gloves and wash your hands often.

I only wash my hands 1,000,000 times a day and have 2 open windows. :P Thanks. I wanted one of those 70's microwave-looking televisions until I was told they have a harmful chemical in it. I forgot that old solder has lead... I was cut by solder once. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to return that Pledge Multi-Surface Cleaner.

Is it safe to breathe aluminum polisher? I almost got Brasso and my parents said no because it's bad to breathe.

But you don't breathe brasso... you rub it onto the surface to be polished, rub it around, wipe it off.

I would imagine the tin has specific instructions not to inhale the brasso.

Is it safe to breathe aluminum polisher? I almost got Brasso and my parents said no because it's bad to breathe.

But you don't breathe brasso... you rub it onto the surface to be polished, rub it around, wipe it off.

I know, but if I inhale the smell or whatever it's called. And they said to avoid aluminum with dust because it can lead to alzheimer's disease. :roll: What do you mean the "tin" has instructions not to inhale it?

I know, but if I inhale the smell or whatever it's called. And they said to avoid aluminum with dust because it can lead to alzheimer's disease. :roll: What do you mean the "tin" has instructions not to inhale it?

It's just rubbing alcohol, ammonia, and silica in a goo. Basically Windex, with sand. No aluminum involved.

See here about tins.

I only wash my hands 1,000,000 times a day and have 2 open windows. :P Thanks. I wanted one of those 70's microwave-looking televisions until I was told they have a harmful chemical in it. I forgot that old solder has lead... I was cut by solder once. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to return that Pledge Multi-Surface Cleaner.

These particular incidences would cause no permanent harm to you. Getting cut by alunimum or a piece of lead is not going to give you cancer or other harmful scarities. It's continued use of these things that eventually causes health problems. Many deodorants have alum in them, which over time is "known" to harm your health. But the amount in the deodorants is minimal. Cowboys got lead poisoning after many years of eating from tin/lead food cans, as they knew no better at the time. Used appropriately and in moderation, these things should not harm you.

Besides *tick*, my mom once broke a mercury *tick* thermometer and showed me the mercury metal inside. *tick* I played with it in my fingers for a minute. Seems like I'm *tick tick* ok.

Edited by SlowCoder