IGNORED

Atari Roguelikes

DJT

The stats below are from the original game:

Weapons (Each one had 3 modifiers, Cursed(Y/N),Damage Adjust,To Hit Adjust)

Mace: Slash 2d4 Thrown 1d3

Long sword: Slash 3d4 Thrown 1d2

Bow: Slash 1d1 Thrown 1d1

Arrow: Slash 1d1 Thrown 2d3

Dagger: Slash 1d6 Thrown 1d4

Two Handed Sword: Slash 4d4 Thrown 1d2

Dart: Slash 1d1 Thrown 1d3

Crossbow: Slash 1d1 Thrown 1d1

Crossbow bolt: Slash 1d2 Thrown 2d5

Spear: Slash 2d3 Thrown 1d6

Armor (Each had 2 modifiers, Cursed(Y/N), Enhancement

No Armor: Lvl 0

leather armor: Lvl 2

studded leather armor / ring mail: Lvl 3

scale mail: Lvl 4

chain mail: Lvl 5

banded mail / splint mail: Lvl 6

plate mail: Lvl 7

Traps

trapdoor: Effect Fall to a more difficult level.

bear trap: Effect Costs hit points, and it may take you a few moves to break free.

sleeping gas trap: Effect You sleep for several moves

arrow trap: Effect Costs hit points

teleport trap: Effect Teleport to anywhere on the same level or another level

poison dart trap: Effect Costs strength points

weird trap: Effect Undefined trap

The combat system was based on DND. It used Thac0, for hit determination. A random number from 1-20 minus the player Attack ability, if this number is below the creature armor you would hit it. A random number of 1, was always a hit, and a random number of 20, was always a miss. But they inverted the system for player armor. The higher the player armor the better. You simply need to take 10 and subtract the armor level. Such that the best armor plate mail would count as 10-7 = 3.

I think scrolls shouldn't be combined with potions. Because of the identify scroll. Having this as a potion, takes out some strategy. Scrolls never directly hurt the player. So they were always safe to use before you know what they are. Potions can easily kill the player, and sometimes are best thrown at the monster.

Staff and Wand (has number of charges, never cursed(but effect not always benificial))

-cancellation / Reveals invisible or disguised monsters

-cold / ice

-drain life / you are too weak to use it You used it when you had less than 2 hit points OR you have a tingling feeling You used it with no monsters around

-fire / flame

-haste monster / speeds monster up

-light / the room is lit by a shimmering blue light OR the corridor glows and then fades you used a wand of light in a corridor OR you feel a warm glow around you You used a wand of light when blind

-lightning / bolt of lightning

-magic missile / The missile vanishes in a puff of smoke Only if the monster saved versus magic (see top of page)

-polymorph / Turns monster into another monster (and not necessarily a monster that's easier to kill!)

-slow monster / slows monster down

-striking / does serious damage to monster (2d8 w/ +4 to hit, 5% chance of 3d8 w/+9 to hit)

-teleport away / moves monster to a different room

-teleport to / moves monster right next to you

-vorpalized weapon the monster vanishes in a puff of smoke Used a vorpalized weapon on the correct monster (guaranteed kill) OR you hear a maniacal chuckle in the distance Used a vorpalized weapon on the wrong monster

-nothing (used up) nothing happens

-undefined what a bizarre schtick!

Rings

Ring type / Cost in food points (per turn)

add strength / 1

adornment / 0

aggravate monster(Cursed) / 0

dexterity / 1-3

increase damage / 1-3

reduced damage(Cursed) / 1-3

maintain armor (protects from Aquator)/ 1

protection / 1

regeneration / 2

searching / 1-4

slow digestion adds 0-1 / (obv no food cost)

stealth / 1

sustain strength (protect from rattlesnake)/ 1

Teleportation every 80 turns (Cursed)/ 1

Potions:

potion of blindness(throw at monster)

potion of confusion(throw at monster)

potion of detect monster

potion of detect things

potion of extra healing

potion of hallucination

potion of haste self

potion of healing

Potion of increase strength

potion of levitation

potion of major healing

potion of magic detection

potion of paralysis(throw at monster)

potion of poison(throw at monster)

potion of raise level

potion of restore strength

potion of see invisible

potion of nothing

Scrolls:

scroll of aggravate monster

scroll of confuse monster

scroll of create monster

scroll of enchant armor

scroll of enchant weapon

scroll of hold monster

scroll of identify

scroll of magic mapping

scroll of map food

scroll of protect armor

scroll of remove curse

scroll of scare monster(if stood on you're invincible)

scroll of sleep

scroll of teleportation

scroll of uncurse

scroll of Vorpalize Weapon

Scroll of Blank Paper

Brilliant. Good thinking. But it could get pretty menu hairy at the point, don't you think? Shortcuts are always nice.

The other option is that it doesn't necessarily have to be as ROBUST as the original. There's some fat you could trim. Especially in the way of items (rings, wands, food)

Or dual fire stick. One buttons for commands and one button for the other stuff.

I was originally thinking it needed two buttons. But if you attack by touching a monster. The button can be used for a menu. The original was always a pain for shooting bows, and doing other things, so it makes sense. How often are you using potions and scrolls.

One more rule I forgot was about, is that you get a saving throw versus magic. roll a d20 and if it's less than your level the bad affect of magic doesn't damage you, this also works for the monsters.

• 10 months later...

I was playing one of the demos someone made in this thread the other day. It's still a cool concept.

Gateway to Apshai on the Colecovision could be considered a roguelike as well. Obviously it was inspired my rogue, you grab treasure and head down the levels of the dungeon. I really enjoy Apshai.

I was playing one of the demos someone made in this thread the other day. It's still a cool concept.

Gateway to Apshai on the Colecovision could be considered a roguelike as well. Obviously it was inspired my rogue, you grab treasure and head down the levels of the dungeon. I really enjoy Apshai.

I loved Temple of Apshai on my C64, I played it so much as a kid.

When I was first getting started with 2600 programming, I sought to make a new ToA game and call it Tower of Tulgey a.k.a(Tower of Darkness).

I still have my project folder when I was working on it, but I ran into and rediscovered fun complex display kernel stuff and got sidetracked. Still am sidetracked by it to be honest :) but hopefully once my new display kernel is done it will pave the way to finishing that recreation.

Temple of Apshai started out on the Vic 20. That would be a good template for a Roguelike on the VCS. The Vic is pretty limited too and only has the one button but the game plays well and feels pretty roguelike if you ask me. Definitely a good frame of reference - the is, after all, a classic in it's own right. :)