Photo

Sega Genesis controller wire length

13 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

Stargunner

• 1,684 posts

Posted Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:36 PM

Can anyone tell me the length of a Sega Genesis controller wire? According to this website "I have the same SEGA Controllers with 3 different cable lengths!"

And does anyone know if the wire extenders also seen on that webpage are fairly common/cheap?

I need to sit back at least six to ten feet from where a Genesis would fit in my setup.

#2 Hatta OFFLINE  

Hatta

Stargunner

• 1,279 posts

Posted Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:32 PM

Pretty short, 4ft maybe? I got a bunch of Genesis extension cables from Collectors Cards & Games for like $2 each. I think they're like 6 ft. You can chain them if you need. They also work with Atari/C64/etc.

#3 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts
  • I'll rebuild it in 3 days

Posted Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:58 PM

They are $5 plus shipping at CC&G. I've bought in bulk from him, but the lowest he goes is $4.50 each. Imagine, people being upset over where the 25th 7800 money has gone. $500 here, $500 there, $1000 here, $1000 there. :roll: Anyway, yes, the Genesis cords were many lengths, the internals all differ, even on the same external label of the same model. I've seen 3 foot, 4 foot, and 6 foot.

AX

#4 DickNixonArisen OFFLINE  

DickNixonArisen

River Patroller

• 2,079 posts

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:38 AM

The short gen cords are pretty irritating. Controller extenders are easy to find though, all 9 pins are the same so they work on Atari, CV, SMS, Gen etc

#5 Jr. Pac OFFLINE  

Jr. Pac

Dragonstomper

• 775 posts
  • 1/4 of the fun with an Atari cart is cleaning it.

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:57 AM

You don't need a special Sega/Atari extension cable. You can just use a simple 9-pin cable. One end male, one end female. Plug one end into the system, and plug the controller into the other. Extension cables are just big rip offs. Remember!!! USE A SERIAL CABLE, not a Null modem cale.

Edited by Jr. Pac, Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:19 AM.

#6 goldenegg OFFLINE  

goldenegg

Stargunner

• 1,611 posts

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:09 AM

You don't need a special Sega/Atari extension cable. You can just use a simple 9-pin cable. One end male, one end female. Plug one end into the system, and plug the controller into the other. Extension cables are just big rip offs.

Just make sure to get a SERIAL cable and not a NULL MODEM cable. Null modem cables have swapped pins and will not work as an extension.

#7 Jr. Pac OFFLINE  

Jr. Pac

Dragonstomper

• 775 posts
  • 1/4 of the fun with an Atari cart is cleaning it.

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:18 AM

True. I forgot to mention that. Edited post.

#8 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,684 posts

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:16 PM

Good news, my Genesis reaches without the need for an extension cable. Excellent!

Bad news (I think?) is I am waiting for the game cartridge to arrive in the mail so I don't actually have anything to play on my Genesis. I have connected it to my TV and although the red L.E.D. turns on when I activate the console, nothing happens on screen. I am guessing it's because there's no cartridge but some sites mention I should at least see a blue Sega logo, is that true?

#9 FujiSkunk OFFLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 5,879 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:44 PM

I am guessing it's because there's no cartridge but some sites mention I should at least see a blue Sega logo, is that true?

If memory serves, the Sega Master System will still give a Sega logo even if you power the system up without a cartridge. The Genesis, however, only shows a black screen.

#10 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,200 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:58 PM

Good news, my Genesis reaches without the need for an extension cable. Excellent!

Bad news (I think?) is I am waiting for the game cartridge to arrive in the mail so I don't actually have anything to play on my Genesis. I have connected it to my TV and although the red L.E.D. turns on when I activate the console, nothing happens on screen. I am guessing it's because there's no cartridge but some sites mention I should at least see a blue Sega logo, is that true?

No, you should see a black screen. The Sega logo is part of the game software.

#11 SRGilbert OFFLINE  

SRGilbert

River Patroller

• 2,496 posts

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:27 PM

Get a set of these and cord length will no longer be an issue! (They are awesome, buy the way.) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#12 DickNixonArisen OFFLINE  

DickNixonArisen

River Patroller

• 2,079 posts

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:33 AM

What game are you getting btw?

#13 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,684 posts

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:30 PM

What game are you getting btw?

Star Control. Can you believe that's the only Genesis game I want to play?

#14 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

River Patroller

• 4,699 posts

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:18 PM

Star Control. Can you believe that's the only Genesis game I want to play?

Might want to check out StarFlight as well. It's a lot like Star Control II

Edit:though I suppose it's not fair of me to say that, since Star Control II is a considerably different experience, and starflight is that game without all the star control assets

Edited by Reaperman, Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:23 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users