IGNORED

Sega Genesis controller wire length

ComputerSpaceFan

Can anyone tell me the length of a Sega Genesis controller wire? According to this website "I have the same SEGA Controllers with 3 different cable lengths!"

And does anyone know if the wire extenders also seen on that webpage are fairly common/cheap?

I need to sit back at least six to ten feet from where a Genesis would fit in my setup.

They are $5 plus shipping at CC&G. I've bought in bulk from him, but the lowest he goes is $4.50 each. Imagine, people being upset over where the 25th 7800 money has gone. $500 here, $500 there, $1000 here, $1000 there. :roll: Anyway, yes, the Genesis cords were many lengths, the internals all differ, even on the same external label of the same model. I've seen 3 foot, 4 foot, and 6 foot.

AX

You don't need a special Sega/Atari extension cable. You can just use a simple 9-pin cable. One end male, one end female. Plug one end into the system, and plug the controller into the other. Extension cables are just big rip offs. Remember!!! USE A SERIAL CABLE, not a Null modem cale.

Edited by Jr. Pac

You don't need a special Sega/Atari extension cable. You can just use a simple 9-pin cable. One end male, one end female. Plug one end into the system, and plug the controller into the other. Extension cables are just big rip offs.

Just make sure to get a SERIAL cable and not a NULL MODEM cable. Null modem cables have swapped pins and will not work as an extension.

Good news, my Genesis reaches without the need for an extension cable. Excellent!

Bad news (I think?) is I am waiting for the game cartridge to arrive in the mail so I don't actually have anything to play on my Genesis. I have connected it to my TV and although the red L.E.D. turns on when I activate the console, nothing happens on screen. I am guessing it's because there's no cartridge but some sites mention I should at least see a blue Sega logo, is that true?

I am guessing it's because there's no cartridge but some sites mention I should at least see a blue Sega logo, is that true?

If memory serves, the Sega Master System will still give a Sega logo even if you power the system up without a cartridge. The Genesis, however, only shows a black screen.

Good news, my Genesis reaches without the need for an extension cable. Excellent!

Bad news (I think?) is I am waiting for the game cartridge to arrive in the mail so I don't actually have anything to play on my Genesis. I have connected it to my TV and although the red L.E.D. turns on when I activate the console, nothing happens on screen. I am guessing it's because there's no cartridge but some sites mention I should at least see a blue Sega logo, is that true?

No, you should see a black screen. The Sega logo is part of the game software.

Star Control. Can you believe that's the only Genesis game I want to play?

Might want to check out StarFlight as well. It's a lot like Star Control II

Edit:though I suppose it's not fair of me to say that, since Star Control II is a considerably different experience, and starflight is that game without all the star control assets

Edited by Reaperman