IGNORED

HSC8 Round 14: Threshold - Crossfire - Lunar Leaper - Marauder

Sierra On-Line Quadruple Blast

*Threshold* *Crossfire* *Lunar Leeper* *Marauder*

Sierra On-Line have some cracking games so we'll get cracking (and probably an RSI or two) playing some of their hi-res shooters! What about the mighty Aquatron you ask... that's so good it'll be sure to make a separate round. ROM will go to the next vote ;)

This is also a 'catchup' round so if you've missed any games this season you can post scores here.

• 3 weeks to play - games finish Sun 4th September 10am BST
  • Take the default settings
  • Reminder no autofire!
  • Standard scoring for each game
  • Everyone welcome to play :thumbsup:
    Bonus points:
  • Highest combined score 1pt
  • Winning all 4 games 3pts
  • Winning 3 games 2pts
  • Winning 2 games 1pt
  • Threshold Bonus - press 3 on title screen (where you see the word Threshold) for Fast - Highest score 1pt

Links to games:

You'll have to download ATR of Threshold and Lunar Leeper below but here's an ATR with Crossfire x2 & Marauder I (& II hack? that starts on stage 2)

HSC8Round14.ATR

atarimania generally has protected ATX formats, fandal mainly has XEX files, atarionline.pl has many ATRs & XEXs

Threshold

atarimania atarionline.pl fandal Vjetnam

Crossfire

atarimania atarionline.pl fandal (mono or colour ver)

Marauder

atarimania atarionline.pl fandal (fandal has this listed as Marauder I)

Lunar Leeper

This game needs OS/B to run correctly - XL and XE users (also works on Altirra use 'File' 'Disk Drives' to switch ATRs!) download this Translator (ATR) from Pokeysoft's site Disk U119b

Boot this then insert the lunar leeper disk/ATR and press select.post-19705-0-75747300-1313445774_thumb.png

The scoreboard and text now appear correctly... there is a little graphical corruption on the bottom right of the in game display but otherwise ok :)

homesoft seems to be the best looking version but it resets after the first stage! atarimania atarionline.pl fandal

Good Luck*

* exclusions may apply (McKong and deteacher) ;)

I'll kick things off with Threshold: 49,600!

post-9712-0-10684100-1313411619_thumb.png

Not sure if I have a bad copy or not, but when the screen goes to these colors, the game is nearly unplayable because the enemy's shots are very hard to see. I'm going to try the other copies lurking around and hope they're better ones. :)

Not sure if I have a bad copy or not, but when the screen goes to these colors, the game is nearly unplayable because the enemy's shots are very hard to see. I'm going to try the other copies lurking around and hope they're better ones. :)

Looks like we may have fun getting these to work esp Lunar Leeper!

I've put a link on to VJetnam's ATR of Threshold (can't find a file version - have asked Homesoft to do one!) LL says it needs OS/B but I only have OSA translators for real hardware - the game runs on my XE but the text screen is a bit screwy - takes a while to reload to replay each time... I'm just checking the Homesoft file ver as this seems better (though no saves)... will post an ATR soon if it works...

Working ATR on Post 1 folks :)

And now I've tried it: 6,740!

Not a bad game. I could see myself getting into this one too. Good choices this time around. :)

Thanks :thumbsup: should be enough to keep everyone busy hopefully. Was thinking about doing a comnined score but some games may be heavy on points... we'll see how things go.

Do you guys spell "Leap" "Leep" or did the author need a dictionary :?: perhaps it stands for something like in M*U*L*E... something something Exploding Pieces :-D

Not a bad game. I could see myself getting into this one too. Good choices this time around. :)

Thanks :thumbsup: should be enough to keep everyone busy hopefully. Was thinking about doing a comnined score but some games may be heavy on points... we'll see how things go.

Do you guys spell "Leap" "Leep" or did the author need a dictionary :?: perhaps it stands for something like in M*U*L*E... something something Exploding Pieces :-D

no, we spell it 'leap' as well. Not sure what the deal is with the author's spelling. :)

no, we spell it 'leap' as well. Not sure what the deal is with the author's spelling. :)

He probably just wanted to make sure it would show up more reliably after Google searches.

Looks like there are still issues with Homesoft's Lunar Leeper file version (it restarts after level 1 without showing your score) - if anyone gets one working fully on a real atari please post! Use the ATRs for now :ponder:

For the Lunar Leeper ATR use the Translator ATR link on 1st post.

Not played any of these much before... I've has a quick blast!

Threshold 25,550 (mother ship :cool: )

Crossfire 2,430 (need more practice)

Lunar Leeper 8,220 (you can take the guys to either end; don't forget to refuel! I made it to the tunnel section oooh!)

Marauder 41,680 (nice)

:)

I own none of these, but I see Video 61 has the Crossfire cart for $20, and the disk for $10. Does anyone know how big a difference there is between them? I saw on several websites that the graphics are slightly different, but is the game play better on one over the other?

I own none of these, but I see Video 61 has the Crossfire cart for $20, and the disk for $10. Does anyone know how big a difference there is between them? I saw on several websites that the graphics are slightly different, but is the game play better on one over the other?

I wasn't going to say anything but there is already a little parcel somewhere over the atlantic... save the money towards your SIO2USB/APE ;)

If anyone stateside has got an SIO2PC or home made equivalent spare please post :thumbsup:

This round can also be a catchup round so if there's anything anyone has missed this season you can post scores here. littlemanjack can also re-play any other games he has from this season to improve scores

Lunar Leeper: 11,120!

I made it through the cave and got to level 2. This game is growing on me. :)

Those creepy Giant Eyeballs are even scarier in mono/UK TVs weird artifacting mode :o

Todays' goes:

Threshold 29,000

Crossfire 3,370

Marauder 67,600

Lunar Leeper 17,700 (got to the third level - limited ammo, this game keeps getting better :thumbsup: seems to skip over the end of level bonuses screen to quickly :ponder: )

post-19705-0-69422800-1313529292_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-13677300-1313529301_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-48456700-1313529308_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-22421200-1313529315_thumb.jpg

THRESHOLD TIP - found this on atarimania (many good tips for the games in the reviews part at the bottom of the pages - links on 1st post):

The player can enter warp drive by pulling back on the joystick. This slows all action on the screen down to a crawl. It is then possible to shoot the enemy and actually clear a screen. Only one warp drive per ship is allowed.

I wasn't going to say anything but there is already a little parcel somewhere over the atlantic... save the money towards your SIO2USB/APE ;)

If anyone stateside has got an SIO2PC or home made equivalent spare please post :thumbsup:

This round can also be a catchup round so if there's anything anyone has missed this season you can post scores here. littlemanjack can also re-play any other games he has from this season to improve scores

Wow. In my best New York accent, "You are da man!"