IGNORED

Sega Genesis 32x questions

ComputerSpaceFan

Hi there, can someone school me on the confusion that was the Sega 32x? I might be interested in getting one but wow am I perplexed by the stuff I have been reading.

First of all, I have the Genesis II model....

Sega_Genesis_2.jpg

I am not interested in the Sega Genesis 32X CD add on, I only want the 32X. So my first question is, other than not being able to play the handful of 32X CD games, I should have no problem playing just 32X games right?

Secondly, I know the 32X needs its own cable and power supply, no biggie, but my Genesis II might require some strange bracket to mount the 32X into it, is that correct? I read on this thread that some people don't need that bracket.

Finally, does anyone have a 32X they are thinking of selling? If so a) how much and b) does it have all the connectors, brackets, and power supplies I will need to plug it into my machine?

Whew! No wonder the 32X bombed as a console idea!

I am not interested in the Sega Genesis 32X CD add on, I only want the 32X. So my first question is, other than not being able to play the handful of 32X CD games, I should have no problem playing just 32X games right?

Right.

Secondly, I know the 32X needs its own cable and power supply, no biggie, but my Genesis II might require some strange bracket to mount the 32X into it, is that correct? I read on this thread that some people don't need that bracket.

The 32x included a spacer to make it sit nicely above the genesis 2, but I don't think it's necessary for operation. You just need the video cable to pass genesis A/V to the 32x & the power cord.

How I love my 32X, let me help you out.

The 32x CD games require both the CD and the 32x, you don't have the have the CD to play cart based 32x games.

There was a grounding plate included with the 32x for Genesis model 1s. I'm not sure that is is every required as I have run the 32x on a model 1 without it with no issue at all from time to time. You do not need this for he model 2 at all.

The 32x also came with a plastic spacer that held the 32x firm to the top of the model 2. It isn't required but does help. It makes the system look much nicer as there is no gap there, and when you put a game in without this extra piece you should be careful not to push the 32x forward or backward on the board of the Genesis. With the spacer it will stop the 32x from wiggling around on the board of the Genesis. I haven't seen this create a problem but I can see where it could. Think of it like moving a game around on its connection while you are playing, it wouldn't be hard to make the game reset its self like that.

If you just need a 32x for a model 2 you shouldn't have to spend too much on that. The extra cord needed to hook the model 1 up to the 32x is pretty rare and that is where you can spend some money. I have seen people pay $20 for that cord alone. I think $15 or $20 should get you what you need to play.

I've never used the spacer, and have never had any problems. Spacer aside, it's easier ("easier") to hitch up a 32X to a Model 2, since you don't need a cable adapter like you do with the Model 1.

If your Model 2 is like mine, you may also notice that your video quality dramatically improves when using the 32X. The subtle vertical color banding disappears, I think because that's an artifact of the Model 2's composite video encoder (could be wrong), and the 32X is only looking at the RGB signal (could be wrong about that too).

I remember reading that in a pinch, you can cut one pin off a Macintosh serial cable and use that as a Model 2 to 32X cable. Still, I turned down a spare 32X for $5.00 recently because it didn't have a cable or AC adapter (which is the same as the Model 2 AC adapter). That may have been a mistake, but I'd still stick to lots that include the cable.

I turned down a spare 32X for $5.00 recently because it didn't have a cable or AC adapter (which is the same as the Model 2 AC adapter). That may have been a mistake, but I'd still stick to lots that include the cable.

I'd say so; the cable's easily located like you said, and if you use the appropriate one (with an extra pin), you won't need a power adapter. The proper cable can power the 32x from the genesis.

I remember reading that in a pinch, you can cut one pin off a Macintosh serial cable and use that as a Model 2 to 32X cable. Still, I turned down a spare 32X for $5.00 recently because it didn't have a cable or AC adapter (which is the same as the Model 2 AC adapter). That may have been a mistake, but I'd still stick to lots that include the cable.

I don't know about making your own cable but there are after maket cables out there for sure.

I would pass on a lot without the cables as well. The power you can get but the video stuff is another story. $5 for the 32x plus $15 for the power, plus another $10 for the video cable is getting insane.

EDIT:

Links for pricing. This is Amazon so take that into account, but these prices are close to the best I have seen for the parts.

Video cable

Power Cable

I would pass on a lot without the cables as well. The power you can get but the video stuff is another story. $5 for the 32x plus $15 for the power, plus another $10 for the video cable is getting insane.

Hah, that's what I paid Toys R Us for mine. $30.

I turned down a spare 32X for $5.00 recently because it didn't have a cable or AC adapter (which is the same as the Model 2 AC adapter). That may have been a mistake, but I'd still stick to lots that include the cable.

I'd say so;

Probably it was a missed opportunity, but these days I feel like I'm drowning in dysfunctional systems, and I don't want my house to feel like the Island of Misfit Toys. :) I must have at least 7-8 nonworking consoles in the house at the moment.

BTW on the same trip I passed up a $15 3DO FZ-1 with a missing power button -- a revue of unloved 32-bit consoles -- it's like going to a pet shop and being barked at by all the sad dogs yearning for a home!

the cable's easily located like you said, and if you use the appropriate one (with an extra pin), you won't need a power adapter. The proper cable can power the 32x from the genesis.

Just to be clear, by "proper" you mean "aftermarket", right? The stock cable that comes with the 32X doesn't power it. I remember reading that the 32X could be powered that way, but didn't recall how much of a load it puts on the Genesis power supply.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Boy oh boy I knew I was opening a can of worms with this thread. Sounds to me like the 32X is a lot of work. I'm even confused about some of the replies above now. :sad:

So "There was a grounding plate included with the 32x for Genesis model 1s" means my Model II should be fine? And the "plastic spacer that held the 32x firm to the top of the model 2" is convenient but not required?

I don't want my house to feel like the Island of Misfit Toys

Heh heh you just described my game room to a T. Got my Genesis sitting next to my Vectrex and Computer Space.

Boy oh boy I knew I was opening a can of worms with this thread. Sounds to me like the 32X is a lot of work. I'm even confused about some of the replies above now. :sad:

Naah, don't worry too much -- it really couldn't be easier. Just pop the 32X into the Model 2, use the included cable to connect them, and run the AV cable out of the 32X's other port.

And yes, your Model 2 should be fine -- the spacer is absolutely not required, I've never used it and have played at least 30 hours of 32X that way. If for some reason the system you buy doesn't work, there are a few simple things that usually solve the problem.

BTW the only major weirdness with the 32X comes up if you get Knuckles Chaotix. That game only works on certain 32Xs, for completely unknown reasons. Also, you can't play Master System games with a 32X inserted, even if you use a flashcart, and the Genesis version of Virtua Racing won't work either.

I don't want my house to feel like the Island of Misfit Toys

Heh heh you just described my game room to a T. Got my Genesis sitting next to my Vectrex and Computer Space.

Wait, the Computer Space? As in, the arcade game? Nice one if so! Though I probably should've guessed from your username...:D

Edited by thegoldenband

the cable's easily located like you said, and if you use the appropriate one (with an extra pin), you won't need a power adapter. The proper cable can power the 32x from the genesis.

Just to be clear, by "proper" you mean "aftermarket", right? The stock cable that comes with the 32X doesn't power it. I remember reading that the 32X could be powered that way, but didn't recall how much of a load it puts on the Genesis power supply.

By "proper", I meant one that behaves as I described. I should have been more clear. You're right, the stock AV cable included with a new 32x will never power the 32x. You'd need (a proper) aftermarket cable to do that.

There was a grounding plate included with the 32x for Genesis model 1s. I'm not sure that is is every required as I have run the 32x on a model 1 without it with no issue at all from time to time. You do not need this for he model 2 at all.

I quit using the plates (there are two—one for the front of the Genesis cart slot and one for the back), because they gave me issues. If I remember correctly, I had problems with games freezing until I removed them.

I quit using the plates (there are two—one for the front of the Genesis cart slot and one for the back), because they gave me issues. If I remember correctly, I had problems with games freezing until I removed them.

When you're jamming bits of metal into something that electricity is expected to pass through, accidents are bound to happen.

My understanding was they weren't "grounding" plates so much as RF shields. Every video game console that has a built-in RF modulator is essentially a mini TV tower, and shields are required (mandated by the American FCC and similar government groups) to keep the console from "broadcasting." Of course the signal is so weak anyway that odds are not even a TV in the next room would be able to pick it up, but still, the idea is to stop any and all potential interference. If that's the case, then Sega apparently discovered or otherwise feared using the 32X could lead to additional RF "leakage," and the plates are meant to help plug that leak.

All this means the 32X will play just fine without those plates. I stopped using them, too.

BTW the only major weirdness with the 32X comes up if you get Knuckles Chaotix. That game only works on certain 32Xs, for completely unknown reasons. Also, you can't play Master System games with a 32X inserted, even if you use a flashcart, and the Genesis version of Virtua Racing won't work either.

I had that problem with my genesis/32x/cd setup, but when I swapped out the genesis (rather than the 32x) it played fine.

maybe it was one of those oddball late-gen genesis2 units.

I thought I was getting defective carts, so I kept buying extra copies of that game trying to get one working :roll:

I love my 32x, but have trouble articulating exactly why.

Edited by Reaperman

I love my 32x, but have trouble articulating exactly why.

Probably for the same reason a lot of us are excited about the upcoming 7800 XM module.

Once a console has gotten old enough and everyone has a good idea of what it is and isn't capable of, people start to wonder how good it could be if it had just a little more of this or a little more of that. It's not that they desire massive improvements, because then it wouldn't be the console they know and love. It's the little things. Like, what if the Commodore 64 had shipped with two SIDs, for 6-channel sound? What if the Atari 2600 had four sets of missile/player graphics instead of two?

Sometimes a tweak like that actually happens, like when programmers discovered 16-color "double" high resolution graphics on the Apple II, or when the FM sound chip was added to the Sega Master System. These are cool little upgrades that in turn open up a huge amount of potential without ruining what endeared us to the system in the first place. Even if that potential is never fully realized (and it very seldom is), it's still cool to see the possibilities.

Edited by FujiSkunk
  • Like 1

I recently re-acquired a 32x and really enjoy it also. People bag on one game in particular as a prime example of 90's videogame badness, but I really am enjoying Cosmic Carnage personally.

I'm running the video out into this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032ANC8M

Some of the reviews say that it upconverts from video source into S-video. I'm no tech expert by any stretch, and I think that's likely not correct for a variety of reasons (why would people be spending $70 or more for a Genesis S-video conversion box if that were true?). But what I do know is the video looks _great_, I would say somehow maybe possibly better than just straight through composite. So maybe worth the $17 to give it a try.

I went through the same confusion you're going through re: parts, RF shield, etc. Once you get it all set up you'll be glad. Helpfully, a lot of the best games (IMO) are quite cheap (Virtua Racing, Shadow Squadron, Star Wars). And in the end, it's likely worth your expenditure, effort and extra power pack being plugged in. :) (I've got the Model 2 with CD and 32x requiring me to have not one, not two but THREE power bricks plugged in at a time. Ugh. I keep it all switched to surge protector that I unplug when not in use, lest I melt the planet down with my consumption.)

The 32x also has what is probably the best port of Mortal Kombat 2. Even the Sega Saturn version isn't as close to the 32x version in my opinion.

Great, will have to check out MK2! The same can be said for Virtua Racing - the 32X version is the best home version you can get, and it wipes its ass with the crappy Saturn version.