IGNORED

Sega Genesis 32x questions

ComputerSpaceFan

Boy oh boy I knew I was opening a can of worms with this thread. Sounds to me like the 32X is a lot of work. I'm even confused about some of the replies above now. :sad:

I think a few of the replies after your post above cover it pretty well, but in case not, here is a list of the parts that should come with a complete 32X system:

Necessary parts:

- 32X base unit

- Genesis->32X connector

- 32X A/C adapter

- Genesis 1 composite port -> Genesis 2 composite port converter (only required if you have a Genesis 1)

Unnecessary parts:

- Composite A/V cables (chances are you already have a set connected to your Genesis)

- Spacer (without it, there is a gap between your 32X and your Model 2; it's cosmetic, mostly)

- Two RF shielding cartridge slot pieces (one smaller one to go in the rear, one larger to go in the front)

As far as connecting everything together, it's simpler than it sounds. Follow these steps and you should be good:

1. Insert 32X into your Genesis cartridge slot

2. Plug one end of the Genesis/32X connector cable into the A/V out of your Genesis;

3. Plug the other end of the same cable into the A/V in of your 32X

4. Connect a composite or RF cable to the 32X A/V out port

5. Connect the A/C adapter to the 32X system

(Insert the unnecessary pieces/steps into the mix if you feel like doing so)

That's it!

The 32x also has what is probably the best port of Mortal Kombat 2. Even the Sega Saturn version isn't as close to the 32x version in my opinion.
Great, will have to check out MK2!

It is and it isn't.. For the time, it was pretty good. Some things keep it from aging particularly well though, including the reuse of some of the Genesis version's sounds and music, and some framerate inconsistencies that aren't present in some of the other versions. Having a near-perfect port available on the Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 2 (the XBOX one in particular) leaves little reason to revisit the 32X version. It's still great for what it is, but it's still a good bit away from being perfect, IMO.

Edited by Austin

I was really disappointed by the 32X MKII port, myself. Maybe it's because I'm a Jax player, but some of his moves don't work properly, the hitboxes in the game feel weird, and many sound effects are missing or incorrect. I much prefer the SNES version.

I was deeply, horribly disappointed that they left out as much as they did with the 32X MKII. Stuff that was _in_ the SNES MKII that had me steaming when the Genesis / SNES versions came out. Like during Raiden's Thunder Uppercut Fatality... In the arcade and SNES version, a few seconds after the hit, the decap'd head bounces on down. Missing in Genesis...._and_, inexplicably, the 32X version. Also missing are the bellowing moans from the trees in the Living Forest, which are in the Snes version also. Sure, they added Pterdactyls, and the levitating Monks that were missing in the Genesis version... but still, not good enough I say. Could've done better.

I think overall the 32X version of MK2 is quite good. You can tell it's just the Genesis version with a few 32X-supplied bits overlaid on top, but that's enough to make a decent port into a great port. Raiden's Superman cry and lightning are back, the "FRIENDSHIP" banner is in full color, and the Pit II fatality looks much more impressive. Shao Khan's dialog in the last round is sadly still gimped, but that's a minor complaint. And best of all, none of the Saturn's annoying load times!

Space Harrier and After Burner also received pixel-perfect ports on the 32X. Of course you can also get those on the Saturn with Sega Ages, but they are still very fine cartridges in their own right.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Space Harrier and After Burner also received pixel-perfect ports on the 32X. Of course you can also get those on the Saturn with Sega Ages, but they are still very fine cartridges in their own right.

Friend of mine gave me After Burner recently, and it IS good. I prefer having carts to CDs; I can produce any ol' CD I want myself, but carts are just cool.

Yeah, people tend to have differing opinions on Mortal Kombat II 32X. Some hate it for it's lack of features found in the SNES version, while others like the 32X port for what it manages to get right and remain content with that.

I actually like it better than the SNES version. The button lay-out of Sega's 6-button controller is much better suited to the game than Nintendo's stock SNES controller. Of course there are third-party options to fix that, but also, I think the game music is better on the Genesis, and the sound effects seem better integrated with the game. Yes, the SNES has more sound effects overall, but they always felt "off" to me, like there were too many going on at once, or they weren't the right pitch, or something similar.

I did a write up to introduce an old comparison section for MKII years ago. I don't think the SNES game has more voices than the 32X game, I'm pretty sure the 32X wins there except for one Shao Kahn voice or something. The only thing the SNES version has is slightly more color in the backgrounds, while the 32X has more color in the characters and objects. I also prefer the Genesis music to the off key subdued SNES music.

Can you really disregard the 32X power adapter and run the 32X off of the Genesis A/C?

If so, I had no idea. I may hook mine back up. The only reason I hadn't is because I dreaded getting into the mess of cables behind my entertainment center.

Not really. I mean, maybe if there's a way to hack up a single A/C, sure, maybe it will work (maybe), but if you only have the A/C plugged into the Genesis, it's either A) doubtful that games will work at all, or B) if they do, likely many (most) things won't display when playing a 32X game. Sound may play if the game utilizes the Genesis sound chip, likewise if some of the visuals or backgrounds rely on the Genesis hardware, but nothing 32X-wise will be particularly playable if they even come up at all.

Edited by Austin

Can you really disregard the 32X power adapter and run the 32X off of the Genesis A/C?

If so, I had no idea. I may hook mine back up. The only reason I hadn't is because I dreaded getting into the mess of cables behind my entertainment center.

Not really. I mean, maybe if there's a way to hack up a single A/C, sure, maybe it will work (maybe), but if you only have the A/C plugged into the Genesis, it's either A) doubtful that games will work at all, or B) if they do, likely many (most) things won't display when playing a 32X game. Sound may play if the game utilizes the Genesis sound chip, likewise if some of the visuals or backgrounds rely on the Genesis hardware, but nothing 32X-wise will be particularly playable if they even come up at all.

Supposedly, Genesis games work with only the Genesis being powered; if true (haven't verified it myself), it's because the 32X is "off" while the Genesis game is playing. It will NOT work guaranteed for 32X games. You cannot pull enough power through the cart slot to power the 32X while active.

Supposedly, Genesis games work with only the Genesis being powered; if true (haven't verified it myself), it's because the 32X is "off" while the Genesis game is playing. It will NOT work guaranteed for 32X games. You cannot pull enough power through the cart slot to power the 32X while active.

I think Rex Dart meant that you could power the 32X by using an aftermarket (or homemade) 9-pin cable that connects the 5V line. I haven't tried this, but there are a couple things floating around the net that say it would work, though there's some concern about putting additional load on the Genesis power supply.

BTW my memory is that when the 32X was unpowered and I tried to play a Genesis games, I could hear the sounds, but couldn't see the video properly (I have a vague recollection of seeing something that resembled certain LCD screens with the backlight turned off -- shades of black on black). I could be wrong, though.

I think Rex Dart meant that you could power the 32X by using an aftermarket (or homemade) 9-pin cable that connects the 5V line. I haven't tried this, but there are a couple things floating around the net that say it would work, though there's some concern about putting additional load on the Genesis power supply.

BTW my memory is that when the 32X was unpowered and I tried to play a Genesis games, I could hear the sounds, but couldn't see the video properly (I have a vague recollection of seeing something that resembled certain LCD screens with the backlight turned off -- shades of black on black). I could be wrong, though.

That would make sense since the 32X has the RGB mixer in it as well as its own RGB to composite encoder. You would need to run the video directly out from the Genesis to see anything as the mixer wouldn't be getting (enough) power.

BTW the only major weirdness with the 32X comes up if you get Knuckles Chaotix. That game only works on certain 32Xs, for completely unknown reasons. Also, you can't play Master System games with a 32X inserted, even if you use a flashcart, and the Genesis version of Virtua Racing won't work either.

I had that problem with my genesis/32x/cd setup, but when I swapped out the genesis (rather than the 32x) it played fine.

maybe it was one of those oddball late-gen genesis2 units.

I thought I was getting defective carts, so I kept buying extra copies of that game trying to get one working :roll:

I love my 32x, but have trouble articulating exactly why.

Like mine as well and like you have a hard time exactly saying why, but I do find it a rare classic from a better time in gaming.

I find myself playing 32x games at least once a week.

Edited by atarian63

Before I sold my 32X, that is the exact same model of Genesis I used. Having owned one, you only real problem is getting a 32X is games. As in there isn't a lot of really good ones. I had 4 games, 2 of them were terrible and and the other 2 were semi good. I would suggest trying out an emulator and some 32X roms before you think about buying one and see if you like any of the games first.

My Model 1 Genesis + 32x + Sega Everdrive combo happily sits on prime shelving space in ym game room TV stand, just underneath my CFW Sony PS3.

I've got a Model 1 Sega CD. On top of that sits a Model 1 Genesis. On that, there's a 32x. In the 32x is a Neo Myth MD cart with an Neo2SD. In the Neo 2 SD is an SD adaptor containing a microSD card. It gets a bit ridiculous, but it can do just about anything. The only real problem is that it can't play SMS games with the 32X attached, so there's a bit of swapping. I just need to hook up a 2nd Genesis or get a master system flash cart.

There's just something very cool about the 32X, and I recommend it if you can find it cheap enough, and with the proper cables. A lot of games that people don't seem to like (like Motocross and Metal Head) I do enjoy, so as others have said, try emulating them first before you buy. You never know, a much-hated game might be one you really enjoy.

A lot of games that people don't seem to like (like Motocross and Metal Head) I do enjoy, so as others have said, try emulating them first before you buy. You never know, a much-hated game might be one you really enjoy.

Seconded. I have three of the most-hyped 32X games -- Blackthorne, Kolibri, and Tempo -- but I haven't played any of them nearly as much as the two you mentioned, plus Cosmic Carnage. Kolibri was frustrating, Tempo was way too busy and Poochie-esque for my taste, and Blackthorne...well, it seemed like a decent Flashback-style game, but something about the game's attitude put me off. It was like it was trying too hard to be all badass: "That's right, duuuude. You can shoot prisoners."

Maybe I'm just a contrarian, but I don't see why Motocross has such a bad reputation; it's totally fun once you learn how to play it. Same with Cosmic Carnage, though that game can get very frustrating on higher levels. Metal Head is totally playable, especially if you hold down the "run" button for pretty much the entire game. If you can't stand the bizarre talking heads there are two (!) different options for replacing them. I need to try beating Metal Head on Hard, actually -- Normal was easier than I expected.

Before I sold my 32X, that is the exact same model of Genesis I used. Having owned one, you only real problem is getting a 32X is games. As in there isn't a lot of really good ones. I had 4 games, 2 of them were terrible and and the other 2 were semi good. I would suggest trying out an emulator and some 32X roms before you think about buying one and see if you like any of the games first.

Well there's a local retro store that occasionally sells 32X games, I got Star Wars Arcade last night for $15. The other ones I am interested in so far are Shadow Squadron and Virtua Racing Deluxe. I remember arcade coin op games like Virtua Racing and am thrilled at the prospect of having a game like that at home.

I was also interested in Darxide but I hear that is only for PAL territories, is that true?

Can I ask Classic Pac what are the 2 out of your 4 games that you did enjoy?

Also, reviews of Kolibri were not good, what do people like about it?

At this point, YouTube is my source for info on 32X since my unit hasn't arrived in the mail yet and I don't have an emulator.

Well there's a local retro store that occasionally sells 32X games, I got Star Wars Arcade last night for $15. The other ones I am interested in so far are Shadow Squadron and Virtua Racing Deluxe. I remember arcade coin op games like Virtua Racing and am thrilled at the prospect of having a game like that at home.

I was also interested in Darxide but I hear that is only for PAL territories, is that true?

Can I ask Classic Pac what are the 2 out of your 4 games that you did enjoy?

Also, reviews of Kolibri were not good, what do people like about it?

If you are a SEGA racing fan, you'll definitely have fun working your way thru VRD's 5 courses and then the mirror and reverse versions with the 3 different types of cars. It is the best home edition by all accounts. A+ effort.

I used to enjoy lots of 32X games. Doom and Star Wars Arcade probably have not aged well but were fun at launch. Kolibri, Shadow Squadron, and Knuckles Chaotoix, and Zaxxon Motherbase are all unique enough that you should enjoy them.

Tempo was way too busy and Poochie-esque for my taste

You have to press Start :) It's more Earthworm Jim-like, actually.

Ha! :D Admittedly I could've played further into the game, but I just found the game's visual style to be cluttered and distracting.

Frankly I'm not the biggest Earthworm Jim fan either, though. I have a mild antipathy to what might be called "ambiguous platformers" from the 16-bit era, where the graphical ambitions of the game -- ornate and complex backgrounds, lots of activity and parallax, etc. -- make it so that you can't always intuitively tell what's a wall/platform/enemy and what's not, or where objects' hitboxes are meant to be. Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure comes to mind, whereas Donkey Kong Country is a good example of a game that doesn't fall into that trap IMHO.

Edited by thegoldenband