IGNORED

SM's Top 100 NES/Famicom games that still matter

Hey AA, I've started what will be an ongoing series as I count down my personal top 100 NES/Famicom games list.

Yes, there are already plenty of NES top 10?s, top 25?s and even top 100 lists all over the net. So why should you care about my top 100 list?

My aim here was to make a unique list that goes beyond simply my picks and my thoughts about them. This list was carefully crafted based on my experience of well over seven hundred individual titles for both the NES and Famicom. My criteria for this list was based on three factors – Overall appeal, uniqueness, and how well each have aged.

This list will include every kind of software ever written for the hardware, whether it be NES, Famicom, unlicensed, prototype, homebrew or Hong Kong original pirate – if it was sold in some forum, it's fair game for this list. The only type of games I have excluded are hacks of existing games. While many of these are incredible, I may at some point in the future write a separate list for these alone.

So here's part 1, #100-90. I will be continuing to work on this series with ten games per post. I hope you enjoy and discover some hidden classics you might have missed the first time around!

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/top-100-nesfamicom-games-list-100-90/

Edited by Satoshi Matrix
  • Like 2

Xexyz "is like Gradius but a little worse, and like Monster Party but better" - that got a laugh out of me. It really is.

I LOVE heavy barrel. Contra got the love it deserved back in the day, but heavy barrel didn't, and neither did JACKAL.

I like your format here with the ad if possible, fun fact, and reason to play.

It's cool Xexyz is on there. The JP one has some differences from the US that are worth mentioning, though. The story is very different and has a lot to do with turtles, there are intro cutscenes, some enemies and characters have different graphics, there are three different endings, and a lot of other differences here and there.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvL60A92g9c

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I skimmed over this series for games I recognize or have heard about but never seen, because I don’t care enough about NES to spend the time to read it all.

But still, I just wanted to chime in and give credit where it’s due; this is some quality blogging.

There are countless retrogamers out there on Youtube and other areas of the net who try to do the “freelance retrogaming journalist” thing, but unfortunately, as well-intentioned as those folks are, the vast majority of the work out there comes across as tediously half-assed and shallow. This project is full of interesting information and the presentation is top notch; definitely a cut above. Kudos!

Edited by Cynicaster

One of the best lists I've seen. Lots of info, not just a picture and a blurb

I just wanted to chime in and give credit where it’s due; this is some quality blogging.

There are countless retrogamers out there on Youtube and other areas of the net who try to do the “freelance retrogaming journalist” thing, but unfortunately, as well-intentioned as those folks are, the vast majority of the work out there comes across as tediously half-assed and shallow. This project is full of interesting information and the presentation is top notch; definitely a cut above. Kudos!

Thank you both for saying this. When I started I thought to myself "okay. So there's plenty of people reviewing and talking about retro videogames. There are even top 100 NES game lists already. How can I make my list stand out?" My solution: make it visually interesting, make it informed, and make it superior to everything else out there.

You don't have to agree with my rankings or picks or anything. Again, this is "Satoshi Matrix's Top 100 NES/Famicom games that still matter", meaning its specifically what I think. I lay out my reasoning for each game and why I feel it should be on the list but hey, if you don't agree with something I said feel free to tell me why and what you think and why. That's why I post on discussion boards like this.