IGNORED

BBCS

tjb

p.s. you couldn't MAKE me write this in BASIC. Not even with a gun to my head, hanging over a puddle of AIDS.

-Thom

(why? I simply can't MAKE myself make pasta-fied code that happens in BASIC, anymore.. I just can't. I have to have structure. I have to have sanity. Because I have so little of it left. I'm talking about writing a BBS for an 8-bit computer, for fuck's sake!) :)

• Like 3

I'm checking out BBCS now, and I'm having the same problem you did. Does anyone else have their copy of BBCS for the 850 that they can post?

go here - http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/software/ATARI/EIGHTBIT/ABBCS/

At this site Disk 1 A & B are flopped and it is version 2.3 for Hayes/850. One side is a non configured version to setup yourself. The other side is a sample BBS (which should be Disk 1 Side B), running straight out of the box.

Disk 2 A/B are for documentation.

Like others have said, I also cannot get BBCS to communicate on Altirra to Telnet.

Good Luck.

Edit, i'll post the ATR's anyway :)

BBCS Version 2.3 (Hayes)(Master) D1S1.atr

BBCS Version 2.3 (Hayes)(Sample Board) D1S2.atr

BBCS Version 2.3 (Hayes)(Documentation) D2S1.atr

BBCS Version 2.3 (Hayes)(Documentation) D2S2.atr

Edited by Triads
  • Like 1

I am writing some test code in cc65 to see what all I would need to actually implement. I've never used cc65 before, so I don't know what's actually available.

Failing cc65, i'll try some stuff in Effectus. My immediate goal is to write something that answers the phone and spits out a message, while logging the attempt to the "Printer", and build from there.

Why? CC65? Well, I write in some form of C for either work or play, and after studying CC65, and its extensive targeting, I've become most impressed with its runtime options, even going as far as being able to create cartridge images! (It would be most interesting to be able to create large 1 megabit cartridge images from cc65).

I'd like to make something that could be used to what BBCS promised, a construction set for making online stuff. I have my little set of features that I want, if anybody else wants more features, they can always add to the code.

I'll know more over the coming weeks, as to whether cc65 will be a good choice, or not.

-Thom

I just started _YESTERDAY_ :)

Am trying to use cc65's implementation of bitfields to keep memory usage and config file usage at a minimum.

-Thom

It was more of a generalized question, not directed to just one person :) I don't want this thread to disappear into oblivion..

Got a few others looking for old BBS programs tucked away, Fibrewire trying BBCS, etc.. But it is cool you are going thru with writing a new BBS.

Edited by Triads

For a memory map: Could you have the core BBS running in $0000-$3FFF, and $8000-$BFFF, leaving the 16K bank switch area for various modules? That makes switching from the message board to the email module to the online games as easy as tweaking bits in the PIA.

I wouldnt hold your breath on this, i've asked him years ago about a copy of Pro, and got the

same answer "its being ported to cart form" but I was able to talk him into creating a disk of it

for me, but that would have meant taking some authoring or compiling computer out of storage

and didnt know how long that would take to do.. So as you can tell, I dont have a Disk from him nor

a cart. You may have a better chance of asking Steve Carden for a copy of TCP/IP Express.

I bought a copy of TCPIP Express from Steve. I'm surprised his package hasn't been mentioned more in this thread since it is supposedly a continuance or upgrade to BBS Express Pro.

I haven't gotten my BBS up on the Internet yet but Steve is always quick to help and give advice.

http://realdos.net/prodtcpip.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello I am William

I not only ran BBCS

I rewrote it making it stable

Unfortunately all of my changes

Were at Compuserve Atari 8 bit Forum posts

I ran the Atari Hotel BBCS (Atascii)

Graphical BBS for Atari users only

The Other Side was text based ASCII login

Rather than list all of the changes in equipment

Over the course of operation I will describe its final

Setup

Atari 800 xl with 1 meg memory mod

Runtime 8 cartridge

1 meg ICD MIO

2 Atari 1050 dual density drives (not double)

4 Hard drive locations only 2 physical

A hard drive controller I think it was a something 4000

A Supra modem 2400 baud

Now the good stuff

A custom built interface that connected 2 Atari computer joysticks together

Custom drivers for Host and slave imbedded in Antic routine

We had myself and Richard in another house with slave connected to Host of BBCS

In total we had 2 users by modem connection and 2 locals myself and Richard or 4 users online at same time

The Hotel opened with a short walk up to the desk

Here anyone could check their messages

If you turned right and went down the hall you came

To the bar the chat center

From the desk if you turned left you came to an elevator

Each Floor button 1-4 was a separate Hard drive for files listings

And then I added the roof where you would board the space shuttle and thru a series of choices pilot it into orbit

The rewrite process and results posted at Compuserve did 2 things at that time

Ended a lawsuit over BBCS and its 13 failed attempts to make it stable

And got me promoted to Forum Admin for Compuserve

If you are trying to use "stock" versions of BBCS I can tell you this

You find all kinds of typos in it (those were my first corrections)

The system will not stay running

I had to dump all hexadecimal values from the floppies to paper for each module

Translate the hexadecimal on the paper and the edit

Retranslate back to disk data form hexadecimal

Write each change as changes to the source

For typos it was not much work

But for the final stable version of BBCS

Without my posts at Compuserve I believe

At this time it is pointless to even try to fix it

• Like 4

Thank you.

I will get back to it at some point, other projects and life are up in the queue.

When I do get back to it, there will be a major change in how the BBS is run, namely, that the entire thing will be broken up into seperate executables, each

running along a common backbone (batch file perhaps), sending and receiving appropriate exit codes as needed.

Mostly, this is so I can keep the code manageable without needing to break into needing to use extended RAM (except absolutely where it will make sense, e.g. in the message editor).

If I do use a batch file as the spine, that will be fast enough, because BB65 _requires_ a hard disk, or rather, fast devices with 65535 sectors. All doable in the setup that I have. Trying to make a BBS that runs on floppies is completely and utterly pointless, in this day and age.

Also of course, once the BBS is functioning, the usual optimizations (B+ index trees for the messaging, for example), basic computer science stuff...

-Thom

• 6 months later...

NecroBump!

This thread is about BBCS, isn't it? Has anyone got the MEDITE.COM configuration editor to work with SDX? Keyboard locks up every time. I want to see if there's a baud rate setting in there that I can set @ 9600.

Also,

tschak909, is there an executable (installable) version of your BBS anywhere? All I found is the source on GitHub.

Edited by Kyle22

No, there isn't. I've abandoned BB65 for a much more inclusive and flexible design based in Erlang to run on modern hardware. (But with the explicit purpose to expose multiple telnet ports for varying bits of vintage hardware, each providing a tailored view for the given computer, Atari, Commodore, Apple, modern computers, web clients, etc.) and the ability to support millions of simultaneous users.

-Thom

really was interested in this, and for it to run on the Atari once again....

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. Everything I try seems to be written in rather cryptic BASIC code, or have M/L modem routines that won't do 9600. Many of them are hard coded for specific drives and don't like sub-directories. I just want one that works with SDX so I can have it in D:\BBS or anywhere. Something that uses whatever R: handler that's installed. Also, it should take the time and date from SDX directly or use Z:

I know of none like that so I guess I'll hack around and try to make something work. I hope I can make it work in TBXL so I can compile it.

• Like 1