IGNORED

Could Paperboy have been done on the 7800...

Armonigann

If I may digress a little...

I, too, have this weird obsession with demakes. The question is, which demake/port/conversion would cause only a minimal headache to a 7800 programmer? I would love to see Super Mario All-Stars...

I suppose that we can start by looking at games that are available on both the 7800 and NES and studying their similarities.

I'm surprised no one took up my challenge a few years back to take Desert Falcons source and make a Zaxxon port for the 7800. V

I'm still surprised no one took Centipede source and made Millipede.

Well hopefully the XM will spur more coders to try their hand on the 7800 both for XM and standard 7800 games

• Like 2

I, too, have this weird obsession with demakes.

Nobody in this thread is talking about demakes. Demakes are reformulations of games into the gameplay tropes of a weaker platform, like Halo 2600. What is being discussed here is a straight port of Paperboy (which, as has already been pointed out to you, is an ATARI classic, not an NES classic).

• 2 years later...

I'm surprised no one took up my challenge a few years back to take Desert Falcons source and make a Zaxxon port for the 7800. V

Well hopefully the XM will spur more coders to try their hand on the 7800 both for XM and standard 7800 games

I'm still waiting for the 2nd weaker player bug to be found in DF code- ... I tried twice but got lost somewhere in the coding.

(The bug is the falcon who's on the higest level will send those enemies to the other falcon regardless of the level of that falcon.

EX> player one dies before Sphinx 1 and is still level one, player two gets to level 3- the rest of player's one's lives will be spent at level one speed facing level three enemies (even if they DO manage to advance to level two- the enemies are still level whatever the stronger player has)

EX2> Player one is having a great day and gets to level 5, player two cannot get past the music zone as the enemies are now all level 5)

In some other therad I posted my best guesses to where the reset or lookup for level for the enemy table would happen but I was either so wrong everyone was too busy laughing or nobody saw the post.

Edited by FireTiger

I really hope someone would pull it off... It was the #1 game I dreamed for on my 7800 when I was a kid...Pacmania, Roadblasters & a couple others I really wished for too...I've mentioned this before on here but I actually wrote Atari a letter back then asking about it (on my typewriter, mind you :-D ) & was crushed to find out there were no plans...Only recently have I learned of the Atari Corp drama & why none of these Atari arcade games would ever get versions on my 7800...Made no sense at all to me back then as a kid, especially since the NES was getting all kinds of em

I enjoyed the NES version but in a way was kinda dissapointed & thought they coulda made it a little better...I thought the Genesis version was great & I've spent HOURS upon HOURS of my life playing it haha..I also have it on a Dreamcast arcade compilation but from what i remember the controls weren't too good on that 1..Planning to get a Lynx soon & looking forward to trying that version

Edited by Stevaside
  • Like 2

Agreed! Both would be excellent games to make for the 7800!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the never-ending obsession with porting NES classics to the 7800. I must admit, it's afun topic.

So... which games out there are similer to Paperboy?

Similar to where you control a bicycle-riding, paper-throwing character? Probably none. :)

Even the "three quarter scrolling genre" has hardly been reproduced. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Zaxxon, Viewpoint, Desert Falcon, and Paperboy.

Edited by Zap!
  • Like 1