IGNORED

Atari cease and desist?

Propane13

I thought that emulators are considered Ok, like a clone, as long as they aren't distributed with the ROMs?

This is the general consensus, although some of the companies consider emulation of their systems illegal because you have to make a copy outside of the context of a backup in order to properly utilize an emulator...

So like, not actual DRUGS but drug PARAFANALIA then?

This really blows my mind. Ninety percent of the reason Atari even means anything at all today is fan sites keeping it alive for decades. I guess they like shooting themselves in the balls.

Unfortunately, modern Atari (aka Atari In Name Only) doesn't seem particularly interested in cultivating a relationship with fans of the original company and its products. Which is a shame, because you would think we would be the core audience they would want to advertise through. Still, I doubt it is animosity on their part or even a "cash grab" as some have termed it. I find it far more likely that these people know absolutely nothing of the history of their brand, its products, or its fans. The average poster on this site probably knows more about the company's history than anyone working at Atari today and that is a shame.

Still, let them do their best to destroy the fanbase online. They aren't going to be able to stop people from loving the Atari 2600 but they have a very real chance of completely collapsing after driving away the last of their customers. Then we can continue unmolested by their corporate nonsense.

This really blows my mind. Ninety percent of the reason Atari even means anything at all today is fan sites keeping it alive for decades. I guess they like shooting themselves in the balls.

Unfortunately, modern Atari (aka Atari In Name Only) doesn't seem particularly interested in cultivating a relationship with fans of the original company and its products. Which is a shame, because you would think we would be the core audience they would want to advertise through. Still, I doubt it is animosity on their part or even a "cash grab" as some have termed it. I find it far more likely that these people know absolutely nothing of the history of their brand, its products, or its fans. The average poster on this site probably knows more about the company's history than anyone working at Atari today and that is a shame.

Still, let them do their best to destroy the fanbase online. They aren't going to be able to stop people from loving the Atari 2600 but they have a very real chance of completely collapsing after driving away the last of their customers. Then we can continue unmolested by their corporate nonsense.

Ya know, that's an interesting thought. What happens if the current holder of Atari basically drives the company right into the ground? The major propper-uppers are us classic gamers anyway these days (don't hear too many modern-day gamers clamoring for Atari products by name, do you?)

So let this holder run the company into the ground and make it worth, well... practically nothing. Then the community as a whole could buy it up, IP and all. That means that the community, as a whole, would own everything Atari ever did over all the years, plus allow hobbyist programmers to release games under the Atari brand directly without intervention by legal bloodhounds.

Or I could be blowing smoke, I suppose. But it's just a thought.

• Like 1

Ya know, that's an interesting thought. What happens if the current holder of Atari basically drives the company right into the ground? The major propper-uppers are us classic gamers anyway these days (don't hear too many modern-day gamers clamoring for Atari products by name, do you?)

So let this holder run the company into the ground and make it worth, well... practically nothing. Then the community as a whole could buy it up, IP and all. That means that the community, as a whole, would own everything Atari ever did over all the years, plus allow hobbyist programmers to release games under the Atari brand directly without intervention by legal bloodhounds.

Or I could be blowing smoke, I suppose. But it's just a thought.

I was thinking the same thing.

Somebody get a hold of Andrew! I may have found something that will aid him! All things related to the 2600, including the name, have been cancelled by U.S. Trademark Office. Here's the link to the information I found. Tell Andrew to place a space in all text "atari2600". That should help him.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4005:jmjlt2.2.1

Somebody get a hold of Andrew! I may have found something that will aid him! All things related to the 2600, including the name, have been cancelled by U.S. Trademark Office. Here's the link to the information I found. Tell Andrew to place a space in all text "atari2600". That should help him.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4005:jmjlt2.2.1

As far as a UDRP dispute goes that doesn't help as much as you think. You don't even need to have a trademark to file a UDRP dispute. (The UDRP route looks like Atari's best chance.)

Anyway, maybe it is not good to put public pressure on them now, while Curt is still talking to them. If he should fail (I hope not), then we should express ourselves.

And now it is being time for to do the dancing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lypkFQ3bPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lypkFQ3bPg&rel=0

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 1

Anyway, maybe it is not good to put public pressure on them now, while Curt is still talking to them. If he should fail (I hope not), then we should express ourselves.

I have a sudden urge to play Warlords with Madonna, Cher, and Don Knotts. :ponder:

I have a sudden urge to play Warlords with Madonna, Cher, and Don Knotts. :ponder:

which one is Madonna?