IGNORED

BattleSphere Gold Pictures

GeneralMurdock

I don't know where most of the information or assumptions in this thread are coming from but a comprehensive explanation now would take some time :P

If a battlesphere with a weird PCB is what you're looking for maybe Battlesphere trio is the game that you have in mind? It's a 6mb cart... nobody has seen the PCB and I'm not going to pry the label off to show everyone :D

As for gold not having a special pcb, nothing special about the cart AFIK, but that's the way it should be. Works on a stock Jaguar, it's a standard cart, could've been manufactured back then like a any commercial Jaguar game :)

Edited by Willard

I saw lots of times people saying that it uses some special chip but I think this is BS/BS. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I think the EEPROM used in BS(G) is larger than those used in other JagCarts (capacity, not physically). Some of the area was reserved for use by games using the JUGGS system. I think that is the only hardware difference.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to get this game but it was nearly impossible. You need multiple copies of the game but it was hard enough to get one copy. And the price was so huge due to lack of mass production.

so sad. I loved my Jag in its day.

If you wanted to do the full multiplayer experience, it was estimated it would have cost as much as a decent car.

So I guess people won't have the opportunity to try it at the next Midwest Gaming Classic. I don't think the most diehard Jaguar fan would have that setup to bring. Also that does not include the cost of the monk robes of the chosen followers' royal guards to keep an eye on the cartridges at all times during the convention.

• Like 3

I saw lots of times people saying that it uses some special chip but I think this is BS/BS. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I think the EEPROM used in BS(G) is larger than those used in other JagCarts (capacity, not physically). Some of the area was reserved for use by games using the JUGGS system. I think that is the only hardware difference.

The only difference that I am aware of is that the save chip in the BSG cart is different to the normal one. The eeproms were the standard used in any 4MB back in the day AFAIK. But then again please remember I don't know my arse from my elbow when talking about things like this :P

Isn't there another space shooter in first person view just like BS for the jaguar?

I have this image on my mind but can't remember which game is it.

In a system with such HUUGE library of games this may sound really retarded.

There are certainly other first person space shooters on the Jaguar (I see others have listed them already). But, just like every other genre, not all games that fall under the same category are identical.

Battlesphere has quite a few distinct modes of play (including a deathmatch mode, a protect-the-starbases mode, an rts hybrid mode .etc). Most of the modes play as you'd expect and aren't really that interesting to me, but the RTS mode is actually pretty fun.

I personally don't think that any mode in battlesphere is exactly like any other 3D shooter on the Jag (which is expected since Atari was to be the publisher of all of them!).

I think Zero 5 is an incredible game too though so I have to recommend it to any 3D shooter fan seeking out Battlesphere :D

Edited by Willard

Zero 5 is amazing if you can get used to flying something by remote control rather than from the cockpit.

Battlesphere Gold... good game. I have a few copies of Battlesphere and the catboxes, so sometime if we want to make another push for a large Battlesphere network (and the many times to make many work) I might be up for it in the future.

Most I have experienced was a 3 or four network setup of Battlesphere. That alone was fun.

It's difficult to get enough people together with enough copies of Battlesphere AND Catboxes, Scatboxes or Jaglink 2's. IF you could get (what was it 16 consoles total for a total of 32 people playing pilot and gunner? or 32/64?) all that stuff in one place, the network could be up and running in a few minutes.

It's difficult to get enough people together with enough copies of Battlesphere AND Catboxes, Scatboxes or Jaglink 2's. IF you could get (what was it 16 consoles total for a total of 32 people playing pilot and gunner? or 32/64?) all that stuff in one place, the network could be up and running in a few minutes.

Well the setup itself isn't really difficult aside from getting enough games, consoles and Tvs together in one room.

What is a bit difficult though is that the network has to be started from each console individually and at the same time, so the more consoles you link the more people who might not press the button in time, so you get those sad smileys which tell you about not finding the network or you have just 3 Jaguars connected instead of 6 or whatever. If that hapens you have to restart each console, go back into multiplayer menue and try again.

In the end we always got it to work but in hindsight it would have been cooler to have the possibility to just wait for every node and start multiplayer then instead of having to do it simultanously. Anyway it works and when it works it is stable so it's always a nice experience at Jagfests. I hope that we reach a real big network one day...

I think it is 16 consoles total. (32 people with gunners)

how have I never heard of this?? I've just looked this game up on Youtube and it doesn't look too bad but I would never part with several hundred for it, and the networking sounds ridiculously complicated which is a shame. massive drag that games like this didn't come out sooner and in higher quantities for the console, would've been nice!

At this point, it would be better to pool any potentially saved $ and create a clone of the game for the Xbox, PS3, or even a freeware PC title. That way more than 3 people could network-play this game.

Just go and play Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter or just about any other space sim/shooter released in the last 15 years. And it will destroy BSG to boot...

• Like 7

If Battlesphere Gold was released for $100 en mass they would most likely have people eventually buying multiple Jags and multiple copies just to play linkup. Its a shame.

At a point I had 3 copies of battlesphere and played on a network only once. IMO it's just as good of a game in single player mode, as Scato apparently spend a bit of time on the AI.

I think you have to remember that the network code was written before the tramiels sold the Atari label. The expectation was that the game would be mass produced and that you would take Battlesphere over to your friends house and link up there. I don't think it's realistic to assume that anybody would have purchase 16 copies of the game, 16 catboxes, and 16 TV's for the full multiplayer experience - either now or back when it was supposed to be released. It's def. cool for shows and such, but a little overkill just for a personal setup.

It'd be nice if it was sold at a more affordable price, but honestly I think it's a big exaggeration to say that you would get "alot of people buying multiple copies of a mass produced game for $100, or less." Maybe if people know that the game would have a limited print. But not mass produced.

Edited by Willard

it is a little crazy that back in those days some companies actually thought that normal people would be able to run a setup for 8, much less 16!! you have to wonder what they were smoking. When I had my Jag when I was younger I knew maybe 2 people who were interested in getting one, much less owning one and a game like this lol

If Battlesphere Gold was released for $100 en mass they would most likely have people eventually buying multiple Jags and multiple copies just to play linkup. Its a shame.

At a point I had 3 copies of battlesphere and played on a network only once. IMO it's just as good of a game in single player mode, as Scato apparently spend a bit of time on the AI.

I think you have to remember that the network code was written before the tramiels sold the Atari label. The expectation was that the game would be mass produced and that you would take Battlesphere over to your friends house and link up there. I don't think it's realistic to assume that anybody would have purchase 16 copies of the game, 16 catboxes, and 16 TV's for the full multiplayer experience - either now or back when it was supposed to be released. It's def. cool for shows and such, but a little overkill just for a personal setup.

It'd be nice if it was sold at a more affordable price, but honestly I think it's a big exaggeration to say that you would get "alot of people buying multiple copies of a mass produced game for $100, or less." Maybe if people know that the game would have a limited print. But not mass produced.

I dont think its an exaggeration. I think a lot of people would buy at least two eventually to link up together if BSG was available to everyone at that price point. I could be wrong of course but I dont think I am and we'll never know.

it is a little crazy that back in those days some companies actually thought that normal people would be able to run a setup for 8, much less 16!! you have to wonder what they were smoking. When I had my Jag when I was younger I knew maybe 2 people who were interested in getting one, much less owning one and a game like this lol

heh, I conned two people into buying Jaguars and gave one away to someone. All this was mostly to link up doom at the time. 2 of the 3 actually kept their Jaguars though, and I was able to get a 3 console Battlesphere network going :) This was all way after the Jaguar's commercial life though, I didn't have one way back when they were on store shelves.

I'd love to see a 4-player split screen feature if BS ever gets a re-release though! I think I'd play multiplayer on that alot more than I would on a network. We only linked up once mostly because of the hassle of relocating TV's, Jaguars .etc

Edited by Willard