IGNORED

System Shock 1 for Atari Jaguar: Possible or not?

PSW

I'm a big fan of System Shock (the original) for PC. I played it years ago, and it consumed me. Recently, I ran across a discussion that the source code for SS2 had been found, but no word on the whereabouts of SS1 source code. It struck me that it would be really cool if SS1 could be ported to the Atari Jaguar CD.

Does anyone think this is possible?

Just a thought. I get them every once in a while.

Because the people who can do it don't want to do it. And the people who want to do it can't code, because if they could they'd just do it and not ask.

so...

No

Wow. That answer makes you the official self-centered, egotistical, prick-of-the-day. I joined this forum to learn more about the current state of the Atari community, but what I'm quickly finding is that these boards are full of smart-ass elitists. If you don't have anything constructive to add, then don't reply.

• Like 3

"What if"'s and "could it"'s don't make things happen, it just riles up all the fanboys on both sides of thee fence into another could it/would it/should it/who cares argument. But still, you deserve a +1 for starting another pointless, go nowhere thread :) (Plus your last comment made me laugh)

• Like 3

Recently, I ran across a discussion that the source code for SS2 had been found, but no word on the whereabouts of SS1 source code.

There was no source for the first SS found on the disc, but there was source and binary for a VERY very early Dreamcast version of SS2. IIRC, there was an even earlier build of Thief 2 for Dreamcast on there too, but it didn't do anything.

It might be possible, yes, but I doubt anyone would take the time to disassemble the game just to port it to the Jag.

• Like 1

Actually besides the whole "could, would, should" thing being a bit annoying there is also the issue of why? Why port an existing game that you can get very easily and play on your modern computer on a dead console? What would that accomplish?

So here's a better question. Is there a game idea that is original (or with original elements), feasible, that doesn't need 7 years to be developed and fun? Then we can discuss the possibilities all you want and that would actually be constructive.

• Like 5

I'm sorry, but this reply deserves another blunt answer.

Because the people who can do it don't want to do it. And the people who want to do it can't code, because if they could they'd just do it and not ask.

so...

No

Wow. That answer makes you the official self-centered, egotistical, prick-of-the-day. I joined this forum to learn more about the current state of the Atari community, but what I'm quickly finding is that these boards are full of smart-ass elitists. If you don't have anything constructive to add, then don't reply.

So your idea of learning about a console or its community is by starting potentially troll threads that can lead to flamewars? And you expect for serious answers?

Anyhoooo, to answer your original question... hell, to answer any thread that says "possible or not?": Give me enough memory and storage space and I can make ANYTHING run on ANYTHING. Quake 8 on a TI calculator? Sure, I can pre-render all possible frames from the original game, convert them to a suitable format and display them, depending on user input. Same for DNF on Colecovision. Hell, I can even do Portal 2 on the PDP-11.

...I hope this answers your question and also I hope you don't sense any hostility in my post,

(And before anyone whines, yes, I am serious by the above statement. Will it please the fanbois? Who cares - I don't)

Actually besides the whole "could, would, should" thing being a bit annoying there is also the issue of why? Why port an existing game that you can get very easily and play on your modern computer on a dead console? What would that accomplish?

So here's a better question. Is there a game idea that is original (or with original elements), feasible, that doesn't need 7 years to be developed and fun? Then we can discuss the possibilities all you want and that would actually be constructive.

Thank you for the voice of reason. It is tiresome to see 'OMG COULD CRYSIS BE PORTED TO THE JAGUAR!?!?!?' with the usual hype & hoopla.

Sure, you could probably port some great game to a watered-down version of the Jaguar. Hell, there's tons of GBA titles that were "ported" to the console. They were nothing like the originals. The mortal kombat one was funny.

Sure, you could create a Mercedes Benz out of recycled pop cans. It would be hard to do, take a long time & take a lot of effort, but you could do it. But it would be easier to just buy one used.

But we can't forget one thing. With the usual attitudes towards intellectual property in the Jag scene, if it were to be completed, it couldn't be distributed for it is copyrighted. So yeah, take all that time in your life to create something, only to be afraid of releasing it.

• Like 2

so basically... everyone here has participated in similar threads before. Because someone new asks the question they are trying to stir up trouble :roll: That's like saying teachers are stupid because they teach new kids the same information every year ;)

& remember, these threads existed before everyone here signed up too (besides possibly sauron)... so perhaps you are just as guilty

Edited by Willard

First off, I would like to sincerely apologize to CyranoJ for my response as it was completely uncalled for. Unfortunately, I had just received some unfortunate news of a personal nature before reading your post, and I was not in the proper mindset, i.e. I was angry, and my primal instincts overcame my sense of civility as well as just pure common sense. I'm not using my mindset as an excuse, because there is no excuse. I am not that person that wrote those remarks, and I shouldn't have written them.

To those that responded in kind. I deserved the follow-ups. Again, there are no excuses, and I'm sorry that I degraded these forums with that type of mentality.

Now, just a few words regarding my original question. I understand that to seasoned Jaguar programmers the answer to my question would seem obvious, to the point of being annoyingly obvious (I know that now); however, to us budding programmers (me that is) that do not know the ins and outs of the Jaguar architecture, this is a legitimate question. I just wasn't sure if the Jaguar is capable of this type of game, and I should have embellished further in my original post. Also, I would like to say that if I did decide to embark on such an endeavor, I understand the pitfalls involved: copyright, resources, time, etc., etc. I can only address the resources and time as so; Any time and resources committed and used would be mine. I would work on it as long as it remains fun. When it stopped being fun, I would stop.

Again, I apologize for my behavior, and it is my hope that future readers find my apology sincere.

• Like 2

First off, I would like to sincerely apologize to CyranoJ for my response as it was completely uncalled for.

Bah, it's CJ, he's been called worse. I can assure you he took it well and it gave him a chance to go through his repertoire of prick jokes in our irc channels ;-)

It's already been pointed out to me that in the Jaguar forum of old, such a comment would have been the start of World War III... but no, CJ +1s your comment & you say sorry...wtf?! :lol:

:thumbsup:

First off, I would like to sincerely apologize to CyranoJ for my response as it was completely uncalled for. Unfortunately, I had just received some unfortunate news of a personal nature before reading your post, and I was not in the proper mindset, i.e. I was angry, and my primal instincts overcame my sense of civility as well as just pure common sense. I'm not using my mindset as an excuse, because there is no excuse. I am not that person that wrote those remarks, and I shouldn't have written them.

To those that responded in kind. I deserved the follow-ups. Again, there are no excuses, and I'm sorry that I degraded these forums with that type of mentality.

Now, just a few words regarding my original question. I understand that to seasoned Jaguar programmers the answer to my question would seem obvious, to the point of being annoyingly obvious (I know that now); however, to us budding programmers (me that is) that do not know the ins and outs of the Jaguar architecture, this is a legitimate question. I just wasn't sure if the Jaguar is capable of this type of game, and I should have embellished further in my original post. Also, I would like to say that if I did decide to embark on such an endeavor, I understand the pitfalls involved: copyright, resources, time, etc., etc. I can only address the resources and time as so; Any time and resources committed and used would be mine. I would work on it as long as it remains fun. When it stopped being fun, I would stop.

Again, I apologize for my behavior, and it is my hope that future readers find my apology sincere.

No need to apologize! You are new here so it hard to know what topics are rehashed over and over.

Besides, you probably wouldn't have received an apology if the tables were turned.

If you are going to attempt Jaguar dev, make sure you are ready to get your stuff pirated after the first initial release. (Sadly) After that point, it may as well be a free download, and the only satisfaction will be the reward of having created it and people playing it (which is the point right?). :thumbsup:

My own advice is to be on AA to watch for news, new releases, and occasional advice- OTHERWISE usually you will be trolled mercilessly in the Jaguar forums. (which its known for) :sad:

• Like 2

If you are going to attempt Jaguar dev, make sure you are ready to get your stuff pirated after the first initial release.

i don't see any pirated copies of Reboot/Jagware/Several Other Developers stuff floating around... maybe we didn't charge enough? :)

• Like 8

... rehashed ...

... you probably wouldn't have received an apology if the tables were turned...

...pirated...

... usually you will be trolled mercilessly in the Jaguar forums. (which its known for) :sad:

Now that's more like the wank you used to see in times gone by. When exactly did you graduate from the Proppahideen madrasah? Really, that kind of guff has no place on AA :thumbsdown:

• Like 2

If you are going to attempt Jaguar dev, make sure you are ready to get your stuff pirated after the first initial release.

i don't see any pirated copies of Reboot/Jagware/Several Other Developers stuff floating around... maybe we didn't charge enough? :)

Kinda silly to pirate a free game isn't it?