IGNORED

Driving Crazy - a Novel by Randy D Pearson

***Edited on June 13, 2015***

Hi everyone! Check this out - my debut novel Driving Crazy was recently picked up by Tate Publishing for a full printing/marketing/distributing deal! The nationwide release date is June 16, 2015. As you can imagine, I am so excited!

This formerly self-published novel has been enjoyed by several hundred people, including at least three dozen AtariAge members and a dozen Jaguar Sector members, from over 10 countries. You can see some of the AA member reviews in this thread, or by going to my website.

Now it will be available across the USA, in book stores and everywhere else books are sold. (If you go to your local book store and it's not on the shelf, you can ask them to order it, as it will now be in their distribution network.) It will also be available through Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, and Tate Publishing. (Rumour has it that the AtariAge store still has a couple of copies left of the now-highly-coveted first edition, and at the original $12.00 price!)

If you would like a signed and personalized (or personalised) copy of Driving Crazy, you can order a copy directly from me through my website.

I'm honestly not clear if Tate has a distribution network outside of the USA, but the above Amazon and B&N links should work everywhere. And of course buying from me through my website works too. Sorry that overseas shipping has gotten so ridiculous! That's the cheapest I could find it.

Now back to the original post, which is already in progress. :grin:

---------------------------

My debut novel, Driving Crazy, is the humorous story of two lifelong friends who drive across the United States to pick up a Crazy Climber arcade game they won on eBay, and the trouble they find themselves in when unforeseen circumstances occur. Though primarily a road trip buddy comedy, it also has some drama, exciting chase scenes, and is filled with video game goodness, featuring such classics as Galaga, Tempest, and of course, Crazy Climber. Even the Atari Jaguar has a cameo.

Here is the back-cover synopsis for Driving Crazy:

Jay Naylor thought winning the Crazy Climber auction would be the hard part. Man, was he ever wrong!

With his best friend Austin Ridenour by his side, Jay takes to the streets in this wild, hilarious adventure. During their journey from Lansing, Michigan to Weedpatch, California and beyond, they’ll run headlong into adversity, desperation and their fair share of lunatics. They’ll need every ounce of their luck and ingenuity if they hope to get this classic arcade game, and themselves, home in one piece.

Our heroes would rather spend their time seeing the sights, but they can’t. They’re too busy… Driving Crazy.

---------------

Driving Crazy retails for $20.99 but is being sold through my website, for the low price of $16.99 plus shipping.

There are various ways to read parts of this novel for free. All of the eBook stores have a deal where you can download the first part (generally 20%) for free, and through my website, you can read excerpts from the book. Also on my website, I have included a couple of deleted scenes from Driving Crazy, so you can get a feel for both the story and my writing style. In addition, you can listen to the infamous, "MegaShop Stakeout" scene, thanks to a reading I did for a local radio station.

My website also has several reviews, including:

"Driving Crazy ... is an unusual, entertaining debut novel by a highly talented writer."
-- Ray Walsh, Lansing State Journal

"Entertaining and witty, Driving Crazy is (an) enjoyable work of fiction."
-- Retro Gamer Magazine

"I picked it up last night and ... stayed up until 2:30 AM to finish it. Once you start it, you can’t put it down. At multiple times throughout the book I found myself laughing out loud."
-- Cebus Capucinis, AtariAge.com

I hope you’ll take a look and consider buying a copy.

Thanks for your time!
Randy “Atari Smeghead” Pearson

PS - Any links you find in this thread that are copied form the original post, like the one directly below this, will probably not work.

post-1517-0-08388600-1434214592_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atari Smeghead

Hello! I realized I never posted this here, and I think it fits, so here I am. :)

My debut novel, Driving Crazy, is the humorous story of two lifelong friends who drive across the United States to pick up a Crazy Climber arcade game they won on eBay, and the trouble they find themselves in when unforeseen circumstances occur. Though primarily a road trip buddy comedy, it also has some drama, exciting chase scenes, and is filled with video game goodness, featuring such classics as Galaga, Tempest, and of course, Crazy Climber. Even the Atari Jaguar has a cameo.

Here is the back-cover synopsis for Driving Crazy:

Jay Naylor thought winning the Crazy Climber auction would be the hard part. Man, was he ever wrong!

With his best friend Austin Ridenour by his side, Jay takes to the streets in this wild, hilarious adventure. During their journey from Lansing, Michigan to Weedpatch, California and beyond, they’ll run headlong into adversity, desperation and their fair share of lunatics. They’ll need every ounce of their luck and ingenuity if they hope to get this classic arcade game, and themselves, home in one piece.

Our heroes would rather spend their time seeing the sights, but they can’t. They’re too busy… Driving Crazy.

---------------

Driving Crazy is being sold through my website, http://www.randypearson.org/, for the low price of $12.99 plus $3.00 shipping in the US (I ship to all countries – pricing on the website), as well as a $3.99 eBook version from all the major eRetailers, including:

Apple iTunes (This might be the US version here, but it's also available on the UK and German sites)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/driving-cr...455166917?mt=11

Barnes and Noble

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/driving-cr...driving%2bcrazy

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FTZK5G

Diesel

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/item/SW000000...ng-Crazy/1.html

And Smashwords

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/78244

There are various ways to read parts of this novel for free. All of the eBook stores have a deal where you can download the first part (generally 20%) for free, and through my website, you can read excerpts from the book. Also on my website, I have included a couple of deleted scenes from Driving Crazy, so you can get a feel for both the story and my writing style. In addition, you can listen to the infamous, "MegaShop Stakeout" scene, thanks to a reading I did for a local radio station.

My website also has several reviews, including:

"Driving Crazy ... is an unusual, entertaining debut novel by a highly talented writer."

-- Ray Walsh, Lansing State Journal

"Entertaining and witty, Driving Crazy is (an) enjoyable work of fiction."

-- Retro Gamer Magazine

"I picked it up last night and ... stayed up until 2:30 AM to finish it. Once you start it, you can’t put it down. At multiple times throughout the book I found myself laughing out loud."

-- Cebus Capucinis, AtariAge.com

I hope you’ll take a look and consider buying a copy. I’ve been told it’s a fun, enjoyable, entertaining read.

Thanks for your time!

Randy “Atari Smeghead” Pearson

PS - I am trying to garner a few "sales" and specifically a couple of reviews/likes/stars/whatevers on any of these sites, so my deal to you is, if you own the paperback version, I have a code for a FREE EBOOK VERSION for you! l I ask is, please please, go to any of these sites and give me some love. I said please, right? Just in case... Please!

If you want a free version via Smashwords (I can't affect prices on any other site) reply here or send me an email and I'll send you the code.

I can confirm that it is on the uk iTunes store - just bought it for a bargin price of £1.99. I wanted a good boook for my little trip to Cuba next week. Thanks for the heads up Randy! ;)

I can confirm that it is on the uk iTunes store - just bought it for a bargin price of £1.99. I wanted a good boook for my little trip to Cuba next week. Thanks for the heads up Randy! ;)

Thank you very much, Gaztee! I greatly appreciate both the iTunes heads-up and the purchase. :)

I hope you enjoy it. Have fun in Cuba! Cuba? What's taking you to Cuba? You're not a cigar smuggler, are you? :D

Cheers,

Randy

If you ARE a cigar smuggler, send some our way! :D

Everyone who is into arcade gaming or really any video-game related hobby should pick up a copy of this. The book is awesome! I re-read it and was laughing out loud again while going through the story again. There's something in there for both video game fanatics and people who are just casually into the hobby.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that it is on the uk iTunes store - just bought it for a bargin price of £1.99. I wanted a good book for my little trip to Cuba next week. Thanks for the heads up Randy! ;)

Thank you very much, Gaztee! I greatly appreciate both the iTunes heads-up and the purchase. :)

I hope you enjoy it. Have fun in Cuba! Cuba? What's taking you to Cuba? You're not a cigar smuggler, are you? :D

Cheers,

Randy

Hey Randy!

I really enjoyed the book, a great read & broke up my James Patterson marathon beautifully :-D I will be looking to get a hard copy of it after my bank account has recovered! A great read & not just for gaming geeks like me! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next & was nice to see the olde Jaguar getting a couple of mentions :thumbsup:

It was my second trip to Cuba, its the only place in the Caribbean that holds any interest for me. It's a beautiful place to visit & its strange to see old fashioned communisim in action, its certainly an eye opener. I'm now going to take a bit more time to read about the history of the place before going back again, hopefully next year! Who know's maybe I'll have to take orders for cigars too :-D

If you ARE a cigar smuggler, send some our way! :D

Everyone who is into arcade gaming or really any video-game related hobby should pick up a copy of this. The book is awesome! I re-read it and was laughing out loud again while going through the story again. There's something in there for both video game fanatics and people who are just casually into the hobby.

I agree the book is for anyone, will be recommending it to my friends thats for sure!! As for the cigars I'm not a smugglar or a smoker, but did bring a few Cohiba's back for my friends who are all about to become first time Dad's!!

Heck in 14 months time y'all be able to pop across & get the cigar's yourself. I wonder how Fidel feels about that!! :grin:

• Like 1

Thank you once again, Cebus! That's quite a testament, if you can read it again and still get laughs like that. I'm very happy to hear that! :) See me happy there?

Hey Randy!

I really enjoyed the book, a great read & broke up my James Patterson marathon beautifully :-D I will be looking to get a hard copy of it after my bank account has recovered! A great read & not just for gaming geeks like me! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next & was nice to see the olde Jaguar getting a couple of mentions :thumbsup:

It was my second trip to Cuba, its the only place in the Caribbean that holds any interest for me. It's a beautiful place to visit & its strange to see old fashioned communisim in action, its certainly an eye opener. I'm now going to take a bit more time to read about the history of the place before going back again, hopefully next year! Who know's maybe I'll have to take orders for cigars too :-D

I agree the book is for anyone, will be recommending it to my friends thats for sure!! As for the cigars I'm not a smugglar or a smoker, but did bring a few Cohiba's back for my friends who are all about to become first time Dad's!!

Heck in 14 months time y'all be able to pop across & get the cigar's yourself. I wonder how Fidel feels about that!! :grin:

Thank you, Gaztee! I'm really happy you enjoyed my book! I would definitely appreciate any recommendations you send my way, and I'll save a hard copy for you. :)

As for Cuba, and you'll have to forgive me because I have no clue, is it difficult to get in the country? I've probably seen too many propaganda films and whatnot, but I didn't know a person could just visit (and easily leave) a communist country. It would have to be tougher with a box of cigars under each arm, I would think. :-D

Thanks again, both of you!

Cheers,

Randy

As for Cuba, and you'll have to forgive me because I have no clue, is it difficult to get in the country? I've probably seen too many propaganda films and whatnot, but I didn't know a person could just visit (and easily leave) a communist country. It would have to be tougher with a box of cigars under each arm, I would think. :-D

I think it's only American's that they don't allow in at the moment. Or maybe its your governmenrt won't allow you to go! That all changes next November apparently. It's a very interesting place to visit & would heartily recommend it. And if you some Cigars then you simply HAVE to go. Communist countries are usually ok with travellers. You may have resitrictions put on your movements (Russia N. Korea), but places like Laos & Cuba are pretty cool, just don't get into any trouble :-D

I'll be placing my order for a hard copy a little later :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking for a cool, unique gift for that gamer and/or humor fan in your life? Are you a gamer looking for something cool to give yourself?

There's still time to order Driving Crazy! Remember, it comes in all flavors of eBook for only $3.99, and a signed/personalized paperback for $12.99 plus shipping. Heck, if you want to get it even cheaper, I decided to give eBay one quick try for a sale... $9.99 bid or $10.99 BIN!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1306122091321?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130612209132&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Don't drive yourself crazy :grin: finding the perfect gift, when it's right here staring ya in the face.

Cheers,

Randy

• 8 months later...

Guess what? I only have 20 copies 18 copies of Driving Crazy left at my house. Once these are gone, I probably won't buy any more for a while (due to my financial situation) ... or perhaps ever. This may be it! If you want to get a copy of the novel people are calling, "Entertaining and witty," "Laugh out loud funny," and "A truly enjoyable read," you'll want to jump on it.

Visit http://randypearson.org/ to pick up your copy today! Don't delay, or you may miss out!

Cheers,

Randy

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I now have 12 copies of Driving Crazy left in paperback version. They're dwindling!

The most recent reviews I've received have been quite positive:

"The book was amazing! I loved how they went on multiple adventures and the trials and tribulations they ran into."

"...provides plenty of enjoyment and some genuinely laugh out loud moments throughout."

"Driving Crazy is an awesome novel. This story would make an entertaining motion picture. Video gamers and non-enthusiasts alike will enjoy this modern odyssey..."

"I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. If you are a video game enthusiast then this is a must read..."

"Fun the whole way through. The characters were funny and had charming personalities. Fun read for all."

I'm still offering the same deal - if you purchase the paperback version for $12.99 USD plus shipping (which I will sign and personalize), I will throw in a FREE eBook version of your choice - Nook, Kindle, Sony, Apple, whatever.

If you're interested, please head to my website and snag a copy (or you can send me a private message here). I usually send them via Media Mail (and I send them same day whenever possible), but I can also do Priority Mail to ensure pre-Christmas delivery.

Cheers and Merry Festivus,

Randy "Smeg" Pearson

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

The news of the day is... Driving Crazy, the formerly self-published novel, has been picked up by Tate Publishing, a full-fledged, full-service, nationwide publisher. :grin: As of Friday it's in the print queue, with copies available to me (and on Tate's website) within a month, and available to bookstores across the US by June!

As you can imagine, I am beyond geeked!

Since I soon won't have any control over pricing (and will have to take my version of the eBook offline so they can put their own version up), I am lowering my eBook's price on Amazon to $1.99. I have no idea how long this will last... my guess is only a few days. (My marketing fellow made it sound like their copy of this eBook will be $9.99 - so if you've been on the fence, a couple of bucks really is the way to go!)

So if you'd like a cheap copy of the book called "Awesome" "fantastic" "entertaining" and "a must read," check out the $1.99 eBook on Amazon.

It's also available for $1.99 at Smashwords.

Cheers,

Smeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

haven't heard from you for ages. Have you been here lately? Lost track!

I am one of those that bought the book when it first came out and I can confirm it is a great read. An original story (",)

Hi Danny! As you can see (by how long it took me to respond), I really haven't been here all that much. Marriage, new house, the re-release of the novel, the job... it all takes time away from playing my Atari and visiting here.

Great to hear from you again, old friend! How have things been? Good, I hope!

And thanks for the kind words about ol' Driving Crazy!

Congratulations, Randy. That's great news. :)

Thanks so much, Chris! I really appreciate that!

Cheers,

Smeg

By the way... the above eBook links no longer work. Tate Publishing has taken over the publishing and distributing, which includes both the eBook versions and Amazon.

Driving Crazy (nationwide release date June 16) is currently available for preorder from either Amazon... or directly from Tate's website.

But you can still order it directly from my website, to get a signed and personalized (or personalised) copy. :-D

Cheers,

Smeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Sales of Driving Crazy have been pretty good (earlier this week, my Amazon ranking shot up from 1,800,000 to something like 400,000 :grin: ), and I've enjoyed the signings and interviews I've done. Here's a recently published Q and A interview, if you're interested. I also have a DVD copy of my segment on WLNZ TV, but I'm still not sure how to transfer it to Youtube or my website. Working on it. ;) )

Also, it appears that Amazon is having a sale on my novel this weekend, If you've been on the fence with the novel called, "Entertaining from start to finish" and "laugh out loud funny," this could be a prime opportunity.

Enjoy your Independence Day weekend, or if your country is not all gung-ho on fireworks this weekend, enjoy your Saturday and Sunday!

Cheers,

Smeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

HI everyone! Sorry I've been away... writing, doing book signings, working (at my real job - Gads!) and being a husband and step-father. It all chips away at my Atari time, but y'know, all work and no play... :sad: Anyway, I wanted to stop by and tell you something you may find helpful, especially if you're looking for the perfect gift for the gamer in your life.

My publisher gave me a really good deal on extra copies of Driving Crazy, and I wanted to pass the savings along to you!

Driving Crazy normally retails for $20.99 USD, (at your local book stores or through Amazon) but if you purchase a copy through my website, you can get it for only $9.99 USD plus shipping. This way, you can get a signed and personalized copy of this funny videogame road trip story, and save several bucks in the process. I ship worldwide! You can also pick up an eBook (PDF) version for only $4.99, with no shipping charges.

This offer is valid until December 25th, so you have some time, but don't dilly or dally too much!

In other Driving Crazy news, I've received several more glowing reviews, including this one from the leader of Bikers for Books and several new ones on Amazon.

So yeah... if you're looking for a, "Thoroughly enjoyable book with the perfect blend of fun, hardship, friendship, relationships, heart and more fun!" for the video game fan in your life, you could do worse! :-D

Cheers,

Smeg

• Like 1

Hi all! I wanted to sweeten the deal a bit... if anyone decides to purchase a $9.99 signed copy from my website during this special offer, I'll also send you a fridge magnet of the cover and a bookmark, while supplies last. I'm a fridge magnet junkie, so getting these made was a no-brainer. :)

post-1517-0-25605500-1449246636_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I recently received some potentially exciting news about Driving Crazy. A movie production studio based in Mid-Michigan (Friel Films) has contacted me about the possibility of making this funny road trip story into a movie! Nothing has been signed, and it sounds like they have a couple other movies in the queue so they won't become "serious" for another year or two, but just to have been contacted (twice actually - the last time just to let me know they are still interested) is quite thrilling!

Oh, and by the way, you can still pick up a signed copy of Driving Crazy from my website for only $9.99 plus shipping. Books (especially funny ones that might be the basis for a movie) make great gifts!

Cheers,

Smeg