Photo

How about hiring a programmer for Joust?

88 replies to this topic

#26 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• Topic Starter
  • 3,469 posts
  • Offering mods for ColecoVision and NESRGB

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011 10:57 PM

Not wishing to put a damper on things but what about Atari? When AA published Pac-Man, Dig Dug and Joust in repro cart only form Albert was instructed by Atari to cease selling them. Could this be an issue again with a Joust release with sounds?

Shhhhhh.......... be vwery vwery quiet I am hunting Ostwich.

#27 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

Stargunner

• 1,851 posts

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011 11:07 PM

Not wishing to put a damper on things but what about Atari? When AA published Pac-Man, Dig Dug and Joust in repro cart only form Albert was instructed by Atari to cease selling them. Could this be an issue again with a Joust release with sounds?

Shhhhhh.......... be vwery vwery quiet I am hunting Ostwich.

Thanks - that gave me a much needed laugh :rolling:

Edited by Ikrananka, Tue Sep 6, 2011 11:09 PM.

#28 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Quadrunner

• 7,615 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 12:15 AM

I'm obviously in too, either putting up money or happily buying from Luc! :D :thumbsup:

#29 youki OFFLINE  

youki

Stargunner

• 1,736 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 1:34 AM

$2000 for simply adding sounds/music sound like scam to me
It's not like starting from scratch, in that case I would understand

Speak for yourself, dude! I agree it's expensive for a ROM hack, but there aren't a lot of volunteers stepping forward and beggers aren't choosers. So if 2000 bucks is what it takes to have the full Joust experience on the CV, then I'll gladly pay it. And I'll publish the game as well, with box and manual, under my Team Pixelboy label. Besides, perhaps Daniel will be able to invest some of that money into Adamcon 24 next year. ;)

So no need for a pledge drive, people, Daniel will get paid in full by yours truly once he delivers the final ROM to me, and from there I'll take care of the rest. :)

Please Luc, ok publish it under your label , but KEEP ATARISOFT box style!!!

Edited by youki, Wed Sep 7, 2011 1:34 AM.

#30 ozma wars OFFLINE  

ozma wars

Dragonstomper

• 710 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 1:39 AM

Not to be a downer...but once again, the common shallow-pocketed gamer (like me), is being priced out of this game before it's even produced. I love Joust, but I could never come up with that kind of money for it.

I would love for you too keep looking.

Sounds like all we need now is for investors to step forward. I'll go $100 personally.

Would half now and half later be acceptable to you Daniel?

There might be a publisher that would want to CIB this game.

Anyone want to join me in paying Newcoleco to do this?

unfortunately, the same for me. Not for JOUST for sure.

#31 Crapahute OFFLINE  

Crapahute

Moonsweeper

• 306 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 3:20 AM

I SECOND THIS !

Your games are excellent, the quality of your boxes/manuals/carts is so high, but I don't like (only my taste) your "game-boy style" of box. I prefer Coleco/CBS old style.

#32 newcoleco OFFLINE  

newcoleco

Stargunner

• 1,168 posts
  • In depression

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 4:12 AM

After 11 hours... "flap flap"!!!

#33 youki OFFLINE  

youki

Stargunner

• 1,736 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 4:44 AM

You 're too slow Daniel. :roll:

:D

Great work! ;)

Edited by youki, Wed Sep 7, 2011 4:44 AM.

#34 ozma wars OFFLINE  

ozma wars

Dragonstomper

• 710 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 5:07 AM

I SECOND THIS !

Your games are excellent, the quality of your boxes/manuals/carts is so high, but I don't like (only my taste) your "game-boy style" of box. I prefer Coleco/CBS old style.

agree 100%

#35 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

Stargunner

• 1,851 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 9:17 AM

Fantastic. Do you think it will be possible to add all of the sounds and a title screen and get it into 32k? Or too soon to tell?

#36 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

Stargunner

• 1,851 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 9:19 AM

LOL - I already have an Atarisoft Joust box repro that Marc O did for me several years ago. Goes very nicely with my AA repro Joust cart

I do agree that if Joust is completed and published CIB then the box should be an Atarisoft box.

Edited by Ikrananka, Wed Sep 7, 2011 9:20 AM.

#37 ColecoDan OFFLINE  

ColecoDan

Stargunner

• 1,428 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 9:34 AM

If Atari is so freakin greedy that they actually paid attention to atariage happenings and told them to stop selling them then I suggest you never put joust on your website. Just give us a heads up when everything is finished and we will buy them. Build it and they will buy it ;)

#38 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• Topic Starter
  • 3,469 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 9:35 AM

I say since everyone pretty much sat on the sidelines, and Luc stepped up with the 2K that he can make any *bleeping* style box he wants.

#39 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 6,007 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 10:22 AM

I say since everyone pretty much sat on the sidelines, and Luc stepped up with the 2K that he can make any *bleeping* style box he wants.

Thanks. :)

I will definately be using my usual box style for Joust, but I could also possibly offer an alternate box for an extra 5 or 6 bucks. So if you guys feel that strongly about having the AtariSoft box, I'm sure you wouldn't mind paying extra for it? ;)

#40 youki OFFLINE  

youki

Stargunner

• 1,736 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 10:36 AM

Ok put Defender on the same cartrigde , and you don't need to work on the box , it is already done.

Posted Image

:D

;)

#41 Jordiway OFFLINE  

Jordiway

Chopper Commander

• 140 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 10:43 AM

I will definately be using my usual box style for Joust, but I could also possibly offer an alternate box for an extra 5 or 6 bucks. So if you guys feel that strongly about having the AtariSoft box, I'm sure you wouldn't mind paying extra for it? ;)

That sounds good to me but what about the cart itself? I would like the cart to look like the other Atarisoft titles as well, and the manual too. I'm glad to see that this will finally see the light of day thanks Luc

#42 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 6,007 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 11:05 AM

That sounds good to me but what about the cart itself? I would like the cart to look like the other Atarisoft titles as well, and the manual too. I'm glad to see that this will finally see the light of day thanks Luc

I don't have any AtariSoft-style casings, and I'm not planning to get any. The alternate box is as far as I'm willing to go. If someone else out there wants to do an alternate manual, I won't object as long as Team Pixelboy and all participants to this project are properly credited.

#43 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• Topic Starter
  • 3,469 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 11:40 AM

Luc does a sweet job on manuals, labels and boxes. This game was never finished and as much as I love Joust it sucked without sound. Everyone should put aside the whole Atarisoft style and just except this for the homebrew that it is. Besides that Luc is going to do it his way anyway, and that's as it should be.

I am going back to click a + 1 where Luc stepped up and encourage the rest of you to do the same.

#44 newcoleco OFFLINE  

newcoleco

Stargunner

• 1,168 posts
  • In depression

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 11:44 AM

Fantastic. Do you think it will be possible to add all of the sounds and a title screen and get it into 32k? Or too soon to tell?

Well, for a static bitmap splash screen, I've already done this long time ago for CV Joust in 2002 (I think) and the rom file was buggy... it wasn't possible to pass the title screen when running a Coleco ADAM computer, but was working fine on a ColecoVision. That reminds me... Who can be a beta tester (may need atarimax multicart) to try the resulting rom file on real hardware including original and clones, consoles and computers?

UPDATE : 14 hours passed... I'm trying to figure out how to add the "breaking-sliding" sound, and I'm having an issue already to trigger it properly. So, I'm working on it.

#45 Crapahute OFFLINE  

Crapahute

Moonsweeper

• 306 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 2:20 PM

I don't want to go off topic, but this may be of any interest for some of you.

This is my own solution for Team Pixelbox games. As I like a certain unity in my collection, I made a kind of "wrapping box" for myself. My "box" slides over the original box and when I put my games on my shelves, they look as I like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 newcoleco OFFLINE  

newcoleco

Stargunner

• 1,168 posts
  • In depression

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 2:52 PM

If I had to make a wish, I would like to see back the red and yellow "explosion bubble" thing in the corner of ColecoVision games boxes with the logo of ColecoVision and ADAM in it, like this one used by GoodDealGames to publish GamePack#2.

cv box coleco explosion.gif

Notice the bilingual influence here? It reflects where I live, it reflects what was the ColecoVision experience with boxes, manuals and labels (general 2 seperate labels) in 2 languages. It's a picture I've drawn based on a scan of a real coleco-explosion-bubble. The only issue I can see is the missing fine line around the colorful ColecoVision logo that I was unable to make properly.

bejeweled_box_small.gif

This is what the CV Bejeweled box looked like, made by... I can't remember anymore, I'll have to check on a bigger picture of the box. There is an explosion bubble on it, only in english this time and only mention ColecoVision... which reflects the first CV games published in US, before ADAM was released.

Edited by newcoleco, Wed Sep 7, 2011 3:03 PM.

#47 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

River Patroller

• 4,126 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 4:35 PM

I appluad Yurkie, Luc and Daniel's effort concerning the possible completion of Joust as well as a planned CIB release by Luc if all goes well for Daniel in adding sound/music to the game. I also will happily accept whatever decision Luc makes on the design of the cart, manual and box. Beggers can't be choosers afterall.

I also appreciate Luc offering to go the extra mile with the possible production of an AtariSoft style box and would jump at the opportunity to purchase one, as I'm sure many others would.

Here's something to consider, Luc. What if you took AtariSoft cartridge donations from everyone to help spur the possibility of using actual AtariSoft cart shells for the release. I know this could become a pain in the ass for you to deal with, so you set a deadline for this service and anyone after would receive the standard cart shell that you use... this way you'll know exactly how many AtariSoft style face and end labels you would need as well how many standard labels you would need and don't get stuck with a bunch of extra labels for one style or the other. Unless, of course, you receive enough Atari cart shells to cover the entire run!!!

I currently have an extra Defender cart that I would gladly send you to be reused and would even be willing to pay an extra fee for this service on top of the CIB price that you set... and, oh yeah, the AtariSoft style extra box.

Ultimately, whatever your decision is on all this, I will still be very happy to see this game finally finished.

#48 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• 2,093 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 4:55 PM

I appluad Yurkie, Luc and Daniel's effort concerning the possible completion of Joust as well as a planned CIB release by Luc if all goes well for Daniel in adding sound/music to the game. I also will happily accept whatever decision Luc makes on the design of the cart, manual and box. Beggers can't be choosers afterall.

I also appreciate Luc offering to go the extra mile with the possible production of an AtariSoft style box and would jump at the opportunity to purchase one, as I'm sure many others would.

Here's something to consider, Luc. What if you took AtariSoft cartridge donations from everyone to help spur the possibility of using actual AtariSoft cart shells for the release. I know this could become a pain in the ass for you to deal with, so you set a deadline for this service and anyone after would receive the standard cart shell that you use... this way you'll know exactly how many AtariSoft style face and end labels you would need as well how many standard labels you would need and don't get stuck with a bunch of extra labels for one style or the other. Unless, of course, you receive enough Atari cart shells to cover the entire run!!!

I currently have an extra Defender cart that I would gladly send you to be reused and would even be willing to pay an extra fee for this service on top of the CIB price that you set... and, oh yeah, the AtariSoft style extra box.

Ultimately, whatever your decision is on all this, I will still be very happy to see this game finally finished.

Does a regular Coleco (or Activision) PCB fit inside the Atarisoft cart shells? If not, it'd make it more costly.

#49 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 6,007 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 6:20 PM

Does a regular Coleco (or Activision) PCB fit inside the Atarisoft cart shells? If not, it'd make it more costly.

That's what I was about to say. Paying 2000$ for the completion hack is already a lot, I ain't payin' for no custom PCB...

As for Crapahute's suggestion, I find it very, very interesting! :D

#50 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

River Patroller

• 4,126 posts

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011 6:57 PM

Good point, very good point! While it's be a nice extra touch, it would only be doable if the PCB that you use for your Homebrew releases fits in the AtariSoft cart shell AS IS. Have to remind myself not to take things for granted... especially when it involves other people's finances. |:)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users