IGNORED

4 Atari 16MB Hard Disk Images Completed

kheffington

Atari 16MB HD #1 (Zipped File 8 1/2MB)

Atari 16MB HD #2 (Zipped File 8 1/2 MB)

Atari 16MB HD #3 (Zipped File 8 1/2 MB)

Atari 16MB HD #4 (Zipped File 8MB)

Zipped file containing Game files used (35MB)

OPENOFFICE Database with Screen Shots

This database is openoffice base format and contains screen shots of games. Just flat file and not finished yet.

The four 16MB games images have been updated and can be downloaded from the links provided here. These images contain a little over 3,000 games with long file names. These HD images can be used with S-Drive, SIO2USB, SIO2SD, emulators and possibly other devices attached to an Atari 8-bit computer. The current images are with High Speed SIO enabled by default. This should work with most devices but if not you would need to change the images to default HS SIO off. The high speed versions worked for fine in SIO2SD, SDRIVE and Altirra emulator. They did not work with Atari800WIN and only HS SIO default off versions worked with that emulator.

The files and the directory structure used to compile the HD images is also available for download at the link provided. You can easily add to them or remove files from them and recompile them. There is a DOS Batch file included in the zip file that will run DIR2ATR and give you the option of compiling either High speed SIO off or High Speed SIO on versions.

Or use command line to compile. With the files in a directory structure laid out on a PC create the ATR’s using the DIR2ATR program from Hiassoft’s site. It is a command line tool that work in Windows. I do not know if there are equivalent for Mac or Linux.

With the directory structure Laid out on a PC use DIR2ATR to create a 16MB ATR from nested folders. This will create long file names for display stripping off the extension and copying the executable to an ATR in 8.3 format along with making a MyPicoDos bootable disk.

Directory structure In this case:

GAMES>DISK1>SUBFOLDERS

GAMES>DISK2>SUBFOLDERS

GAMES>DISK3>SUBFOLDERS

GAMES>DISK4>SUBFOLDERS

The command below in a dos box will create a 16MB disk named DISK1.ATR from the files in the folder DISK1. This disk image will be created with long file names for display and with High Speed SIO on by default.

DIR2ATR –d –b mypicodos405 –P 65535 DISK1.ATR DISK1

Limitations to be considered:

1. Long file names can be up to 32 characters.

2. Up to 64 directories in root directory.

3. Up to 64 files/directories per directory

With the above limits you need to take into consideration that while the limit for the directory is 64 files, you can only put 63 game files in the directory as the PICONAME.TXT will need to be written or saved to the directory as well. If the file name is longer than 32 characters plus extension, the long file name will not be created; the file will be copied to ATR but will not show up in long file names.

Game List.zip

Edited by kheffington
  • Like 19

The amount of time you must have put into this project is hard to imagine but it's greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kheffington!

I'm now replacing the ATR set I've been using with yours, for my SDrive(s), Atarisio/Atariserver, and emulators. I'll also be using your directories with candle's FAT32 loader.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 512mb compact flash with FAT16, a windows pc with CF read/writer, and Altirra. How do i a) create drives on the CF that my new IDE plus 2.0 can read, and b) copy these images to the newly created drives? what DOS / Utilities will i need?

I found what I needed on another thread and now have it working. Thanks!

Care to share the link? I am having much trouble getting CP/M stuff working, so need a break from it.

The new high-speed images are great! Thanks again kheffington. (I see your avatar also went high-speed. It's making me dizzy!)

The fourth disk image still has three directory entries that say "Game Directory" instead of just "DIRECTORY". Is there a reason for that?

No particular reason for that. Just that all were originally named "Game Directory" while working on them and changed to directory after they were completed. Just a way keep place while working on them. Simply overlooked changing those 3 directory names.

Edited by kheffington

Is there a way to easily and consistantly get back to the mypicodos screen from within a game? Sometimes reset will work, other times it just restarts the game.

Not really as it depends on how the game was programmed. Some were programmed to restart on reset.

Otherwise it would have to be a hardware solution such as 32 in 1 OS which allows a full power reset from keyboard.

Edited by kheffington

Didn't know about that (Bob Woolley "Freezer") one but at reading the article it appears to work very similar. Both trick the same MMU signal by simulating a cartridge change. The difference is that Bernard's way requires more parts but no cuts on the PCB. Bob's way requires a cut on a GTIA line.

As I found out today, Bernard's way introduces an incompatibility when used with a SIC! (and possibly other flash-carts). I test-fitted an extra 1K resistor and it seems to solve the problem.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/181257-siccart-preorder/page__view__findpost__p__2380896

I would love to see something like this (16MB hard disk images) for utilities and other programs. That way I could keep them on a separate SD card and they could auto-load just like the games. Is anybody up to the challenge? (I would but at this point there is too much I still don't understand about the process)

I would love to see something like this (16MB hard disk images) for utilities and other programs. That way I could keep them on a separate SD card and they could auto-load just like the games. Is anybody up to the challenge? (I would but at this point there is too much I still don't understand about the process)

I am not sure but I doubt that this would be worth doing. The Game DOS used for the 16MB ATRs here does not work with ATR images; only executable files. Most Applications and utilities are available mostly in the form of ATRs and not generally available as executables like games are.

Would seem to me that it would be a lot easier just to sort the applications and utilities that you want to have access to into a directory structure as ATRs and copy that structure to an SD card.