IGNORED

3do homebrew

stinkoman

Seems there could be some interesting possibilities. Pretty powerful hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2hS_C7zzvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvt9Ko94RG0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYWfsdUZbjM

Hopefully just the tip of the iceberg! Would be great to see what modern programmers can do on 3DO!

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

So, has a development environment surfaced that doesn't rely on mac os?

Yes, there was one being worked on / talked about on the 3DO forums:

http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/

But I wasn't following it that closely, so I'm not sure how complete it is...

I'll see if I can find a link to the thread..

I think this is the thread:

http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146&highlight=develope+develop

desiv

Edited by desiv

Like it's been said, there's not a lot of activity happening on the homebrew front. Hopefully something happens down the road.

The best place to check and ask questions is at the 3DO Zero forums, lots of knowledgeable folks there. http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/

I have attempted to register 2x at those forums the past couple years and it never gets approved. Not very well managed.

I have attempted to register 2x at those forums the past couple years and it never gets approved. Not very well managed.

I registered there fine (although more than 2 years ago).. Weird..

I wonder if something is blocking their e-mail to you?

I've had registrations show up in my SPAM/JUNK folder...

desiv

Try it again.

OK just did AGAIN. Immediately received this Email:

Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another email when this has occured.

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database and we cannot retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password you can request a new one which will be activated in the same way as this account.

Thank you for registering.

--

Thanks, The Management

Same as the last two times I tried. Are you in charge or know someone? It never seems to go past this point............ :?

I registered there fine (although more than 2 years ago).. Weird..

I wonder if something is blocking their e-mail to you?

I've had registrations show up in my SPAM/JUNK folder...

desiv

No after registering it reports an error sending Email specifically:

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234

File : emailer.php

However I always immediately receive an Email stating:

Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another email when this has occured.

But that's it, I never receive another Email and any attempts to log in fail with a message that my account is not yet "active" :(

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database and we cannot retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password you can request a new one which will be activated in the same way as this account.

--

Thanks, The Management

Same as the last two times I tried. Are you in charge or know someone? It never seems to go past this point............ :?

That exact thing happened to me when I tried joining up to a Tapwave Zodiac forum last year. Never could get it approved. Sad, because I probably wouldn't have sold my unit had I been able to partake in the (small) community for it.

Give it a few days and if it doesn't get approved, let me know. I will make a thread about it there, or PM one of the mods.

Edited by Austin

--

Thanks, The Management

That exact thing happened to me when I tried joining up to a Tapwave Zodiac forum last year. Never could get it approved. Sad, because I probably wouldn't have sold my unit had I been able to partake in the (small) community for it.

Give it a few days and if it doesn't get approved, let me know. I will make a thread about it there, or PM one of the mods.

Well considering this is my third attempt I am not exactly holding my breath. Pretty bad on their part. Who knows how long this has been going on, maybe that is why the community seems so inactive there. Well, I appreciate the help all the same.

Well considering this is my third attempt I am not exactly holding my breath. Pretty bad on their part. Who knows how long this has been going on, maybe that is why the community seems so inactive there. Well, I appreciate the help all the same.

I don't know, it sounds like you're the only one getting the short end of the stick. Lots of people have joined (some unfortunately so) in the last few months, so someone is checking them. Again, just let me know in a few days. :)

My thoughts on it being inactive are more due to the 3DO not being particularly popular these days. Games have been drying up more than I ever expected, and you don't really ever see much talk in forums, period, not even here. Also, things like the encryption issue kept it from having any kind of real homebrew community. :(

• 4 years later...

Well it might be.

From what I read and understood from official documentation on Internet, the 3DO unlike other consoles of the era doesn't give the programmer direct access to the hardware, but rather use an OS that the programmed must give instructions to.

So programming on 3DO wouldn't be about learning to program on the 3DO hardware but on the 3DO software, which is different. Easier? harder? probably not, but that mean that your experience on the 3DO can't be used elsewhere, and on the reverse, that any experience you have on other systems can't be used here.

If you know how to program for a Z80 CPU, you can program for a load of consoles and computers, from the Astrocade to the Game Boy. (of course, you also have to learn the graphic chip use, but you already have a basis).

If the 3DO OS can't be bypassed, it mean to learn to program for the 3DO, an experience that wo'nt be useable elsewhere, unless the 3DO OS is derived from an existing one (like the CD-I that run OS9 for example, whic OS9 (unrelated to Apple) is still used in mobile devices))

@Catpix, I don't know if that's necessarily true. It's to my understanding that there were minor differences in hardware between the varying models, and so to ensure compatibility on all units, 3DO required the use of their development software kits. That's not to say one can't write 3DO software without it, it's just that they might have a game that won't work properly or the same across all models.

As far as homebrew, there are a couple of people toying around with the platform at the 3DO Zone forums. It's still not much compared to years ago when this thread was made, but it's something. Someone's toying around with optimizing 3DO DOOM as well. So, it's a start.

Edited by Austin

@Catpix, I don't know if that's necessarily true. It's to my understanding that there were minor differences in hardware between the varying models, and so to ensure compatibility on all units, 3DO required the use of their development software kits. That's not to say one can't write 3DO software without it, it's just that they might have a game that won't work properly or the same across all models.

As far as homebrew, there are a couple of people toying around with the platform at the 3DO Zone forums. It's still not much compared to years ago when this thread was made, but it's something. Someone's toying around with optimizing 3DO DOOM as well. So, it's a start.

Well that's good news!

As I said, it's only if the 3DO OS can't be bypassed by the game that one need to learn how to program on the software.

If the 3DO allow to boot directly on hardware, then I guess it's up to developers to learn.

Either way I'm really hoping to hear more. Now that I found the 3D Zero forums again (I registered on it, but I coudln't find it back on search engines...) I notice that someone started to translate Doctor Hauzer, which is nice.